• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
What are your thoughts on Palu back in the frame? IMO he was on his last legs in 2015. Top guy and brings experience, but I don't think he's up to super rugby anymore unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What are your thoughts on Palu back in the frame? IMO he was on his last legs in 2015. Top guy and brings experience, but I don't think he's up to super rugby anymore unfortunately.

He had a few stand out games in 2015.

Ideally he'll only be used sparingly, either for a stint at the start of matches or off the bench.

We need to be getting Jed Holloway playing plenty of minutes. He's up to it and deserves his chance after waiting in the wings for a couple of years.

Overall I have no problems with them bringing Cliffy back. He deserves one more crack given he had to miss the Japanese season and if the alternative was Fotu Auelua, then I think going with Palu is fine. Auelue has had heaps of injury problems and is also old (although not as old as Palu).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

He needs to have his training and game time managed, but he was still really, really good at times last season

He ain't a bad unit to bring on for the last 20, or to get a solid starting 40 from

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^^^^that's not official is it? I cant see any reference to him having been signed other than speculation in this thread - I dont see that he would fit what the Tahs are looking for.
Believe me, even I dont think the Tahs would be looking to sign a japanese 10.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Norths Facebook page for one. His name was thrown around because his Japanese club bought in players to replace him. It adds up.

Probably not announcing it until the Top League season is over.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Does signing someone else from Japan really make sense? I mean, surely they can't be in Australia any sooner than Bernard Foley. Shouldn't the Tahs sign someone who they actually have access to when Foley's unavailable?

It depends if they could find a better, more available Aus 10, with Super Rugby experience.

My fear with Foley is not him being unavailable for a couple of matches but his health from playing pro rugby for 12 solid months of the year.

So to me the criteria of having deeper, more experienced squad depth at 10 makes sense and I would rather see Hegarty given a chance than some plodding 10 from NZ or SA.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Top League ends in late January.

A couple of days ago I was watching the finals series (quarter finals I think). That should mean four teams left this weekend for the semi's and only two teams a week later. If players come back as soon as they are knocked out then only two teams worth of overseas players will be still there after next weekend.

Anyone know which overseas players are still locked in and which ones have finished for the season?

T

TOCC

A couple of days ago I was watching the finals series (quarter finals I think). That should mean four teams left this weekend for the semi's and only two teams a week later. If players come back as soon as they are knocked out then only two teams worth of overseas players will be still there after next weekend.

Anyone know which overseas players are still locked in and which ones have finished for the season?

Nah Top League doesn't work like that, they have play-offs for all positions, if you get knocked out in the semi-finals then you have a play-off the following week for 3rd/4th. It goes all the way down to wooden spoon.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Nah Top League doesn't work like that, they have play-offs for all positions, if you get knocked out in the semi-finals then you have a play-off the following week for 3rd/4th. It goes all the way down to wooden spoon.

Thanks. That's a bit of a blow. I can see that there are going to be a few disinterested match-ups in the next couple of weeks.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's also a playoff vs winner of universities after the final. In any case the last possible match for any team is 31 Jan.

Foley should be in Aus a good 3 weeks before the first match vs Reds. He would've likely only played the last trial match too. There's no issue of availability but of course he had hasn't a preseason and will need to be managed throughout the season on the back of a big RWC campaign and internationals later on.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Thanks. That's a bit of a blow. I can see that there are going to be a few disinterested match-ups in the next couple of weeks.
TBF, that was probably only for this season.

The Top League comp was truncated due to the RWC and impending entry of the Supe team.

So they had a short preseason comp + only 7 rounds in the regular reason. That's why they have classification finals all the way down to the spoon - it's to give the teams playing time and the sponsors displaying time.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
There's also a playoff vs winner of universities after the final. In any case the last possible match for any team is 31 Jan.

Foley should be in Aus a good 3 weeks before the first match vs Reds. He would've likely only played the last trial match too. There's no issue of availability but of course he had hasn't a preseason and will need to be managed throughout the season on the back of a big RWC campaign and internationals later on.

Won't he have to play the relegation playoffs in mid-February if the Ricoh Black Rams are in that position (and it's looking like they will)?

T

TOCC

Tahs to sign another Wallaby...
How do they fit them all under the salary cap....

Status
Not open for further replies.