• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
So Coleman is more likely than not signed on as coach (assuming he is offered the 3 years he should be), but what about the talk of a new, experienced director of rugby?

Harlequins have just won the premiership with Australian Billy Millard in the General Manager role, with the head coach having been sacked in January - there's a bit of detail of their setup here. He's putting together a very strong resume, with particular experience around academies and talent development. Looks like he'd be a bloody good fit, if the tahs can get him. That said, it seems like a tricky prospect recruiting for a DoR after a head coach, and they'd likely have a fight on their hands to pull him away from Harlequins. Would be great to see his experience brought back into Australian rugby though

Any other rumoured contenders?

Yes, this definitely needs as much as attention as the head coach role. I don't have any other names to suggest, but I hope it can be someone who can take some of the media pressure off Coleman over the next couple of years.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Darren Coleman. Its not really inspiring is it.

It actually is somewhat encouraging. He largely managed to get there through a domestic coaching pathway (through Shute Shield).

Part of the reason we universally suck is because we don't have any professional coaching pathways. So, it's something.

And as barb says, it's mostly about what the dropkicks in the boardroom let him do with the playing stocks.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It actually is somewhat encouraging. He largely managed to get there through a domestic coaching pathway (through Shute Shield).

Part of the reason we universally suck is because we don't have any professional coaching pathways. So, it's something.

And as barb says, it's mostly about what the dropkicks in the boardroom let him do with the playing stocks.

Now commit to at least 4 years. Like Thorn you have to give him a year to "learn on the job" and then the statutory 3 years to build the team to top level. Pick and stick NSW.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)

I hope he goes ok. Had success at shute shield but at NRC was pretty meh. Super Rugby, like as a player is a big step up, but time will tell Agree the playing stock is a bigger priority than the coach

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Darren Coleman. Its not really inspiring is it.
Actually given what achieved with waringah, Gordon and recent mlr jaunt I am interested to see what he can offer. I think he deserves his chance and hopeful he can be the real deal for the Tahs as certainly has his work cut out but I think he has more then served well his apprenticeship with great results to have his shot.

Go well Darren....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
We generally go with blame and shame, sadly.
Or from boards perspective deflect and blame as goodness we would not want nswru executive and board members held accountable for the shit show we have seen for the last 7 years called nsw rugby and tahs

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Now commit to at least 4 years. Like Thorn you have to give him a year to "learn on the job" and then the statutory 3 years to build the team to top level. Pick and stick NSW.

Yep it is time to give Coleman some time..who is appointed as his assistants key here as thorns success pivoted heavily around that in particular with quality like Jim McKay

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yep it is time to give Coleman some time..who is appointed as his assistants key here as thorns success pivoted heavily around that in particular with quality like Jim McKay

Yep. Thought is needed to the DOR role too. My mind wonders to Cheika, but what about Dwyer?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Fair enough. Needs someone though preferably experienced with opinions that can be harnessed. I know Link is thrown around by people who don't get his cutting loose, but I wonder.
Theoretically, someone with a great rugby IQ like McKenzie would be great, but that ship sailed, and who would blame him after the way things played out (which we don't want to revisit yet again!!!).
Dwyer would bring too much baggage.
It's why I liked the idea of Penney as coach - outside the shitfest that is NSWRU. A great rugby director from outside the tent would be good, I reckon. Look at it without baggage from within the organisation.
Just my 2c.

Reactions: dru

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
So who's going to be the next Waratah signing? Rod Iona, one of the Abel brothers or Harrison Goddard?

I hope DC sorts out the engine room and brings some older heads in. Running out with a green list again is not good for anyone's development.

I'd have the following at the top of my wish list:
Emanuel Meafou
Jake Ball
Dave Dennis
Paul Alo Emile
Mehe Vailanu

Probably fine to look to the best performers in the Shute for backs. I've thought Muloufi should have had a contract for yeats. Also most of the current list would be okay behind a better pack.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well at least the Shute Shield acolytes are happy.

"Ask anyone in Sydney club rugby circles and they will tell you Coleman, a New South Welshman through and through, is a perfect appointment because the Kempsey product knows the NSW landscape like the back of his hand."

"“One-thousand extra people will go to the Waratahs every week to watch Darren,” Parsons said."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ecome-new-waratahs-coach-20210629-p5856p.html

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Well at least the Shute Shield acolytes are happy.

"Ask anyone in Sydney club rugby circles and they will tell you Coleman, a New South Welshman through and through, is a perfect appointment because the Kempsey product knows the NSW landscape like the back of his hand."

"“One-thousand extra people will go to the Waratahs every week to watch Darren,” Parsons said."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ecome-new-waratahs-coach-20210629-p5856p.html

Hopefully it's enough to keep them happy while RA gets the NRC going again.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Theoretically, someone with a great rugby IQ like McKenzie would be great, but that ship sailed, and who would blame him after the way things played out (which we don't want to revisit yet again!!!).
Dwyer would bring too much baggage.
It's why I liked the idea of Penney as coach - outside the shitfest that is NSWRU. A great rugby director from outside the tent would be good, I reckon. Look at it without baggage from within the organisation.
Just my 2c.

Can anyone from outside the shitfest survive the shitfest?