• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Imagine if the boys had that win rate lol
Hv5tV6J.md.jpg

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just in time to replace Swinton. Seu will have to replace Ned (HIA), so maybe Gleeson to 6 and Harris to 8. Is anyone else back so we don't have to raid the U-18's for the bench?
Players unavailable for selection: Angus Bell – Toe (Season) Charlie Gamble – Shoulder (Round 9+) Hugh Sinclair – Shoulder (Round 9) Langi Gleeson – Calf (Round 9) Mosese Tuipulotu – Knee (Round 9) Sateki Latu – Neck (Round 9) Tane Edmed – Back (Round 9) Tiaan Tauakipulu – Knee (Round 10) Will Harrison - ACL (Season)

We're supposed to rest Hooper aren't we ? Massive game against the Blues in Auckland. Have to win.

1. Lambert
2. Vailanu
3. Botha
4. Seu
5. Holloway
6. Harris
7. Gamble
8. Gleeson
9. Gordon
10. Donaldson
11. Pietsch
12. Foketi
13. Perese
14. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)
15. Jorgenson

16. Latu
17. Faulkner
18. Holz
19. Sinclair
20. Swinton
21. Goddard
22. Edmed
23. Tuipulotu/Walton

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Players unavailable for selection: Angus Bell – Toe (Season) Charlie Gamble – Shoulder (Round 9+) Hugh Sinclair – Shoulder (Round 9) Langi Gleeson – Calf (Round 9) Mosese Tuipulotu – Knee (Round 9) Sateki Latu – Neck (Round 9) Tane Edmed – Back (Round 9) Tiaan Tauakipulu – Knee (Round 10) Will Harrison - ACL (Season)

We're supposed to rest Hooper aren't we ? Massive game against the Blues in Auckland. Have to win.

1. Lambert
2. Vailanu
3. Botha
4. Seu
5. Holloway
6. Harris
7. Gamble
8. Gleeson
9. Gordon
10. Donaldson
11. Pietsch
12. Foketi
13. Perese
14. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)
15. Jorgenson

16. Latu
17. Faulkner
18. Holz
19. Sinclair
20. Swinton
21. Goddard
22. Edmed
23. Tuipulotu/Walton

HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)>Botha (unless HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is injured?)
Swinton > Harris (unless Swinton gets suspended)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

1. Lambert
2. Vailanu
3. Botha
4. Seu
5. Holloway
6. Harris
7. Gamble
8. Gleeson
9. Gordon
10. Donaldson
11. Pietsch
12. Foketi
13. Perese
15. Jorgenson

16. Latu
17. Faulkner
18. Holz
19. Sinclair
20. Swinton
21. Goddard
22. Edmed
23. Tuipulotu/Walton
Charlie Gamble, maybe the most important player on the injury list except for Bell and Gleeson, is listed as week 9+ ie sometime after week 9. Has anyone got any inside goss on how he's progressing?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Teddy Wilson should be the backup 9 now. He's better than Goddard in my view.

He provided good impact off the bench on Saturday night.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think Teddy Wilson should be the backup 9 now. He's better than Goddard in my view.

He provided good impact off the bench on Saturday night.
Gordon and Goddard are very similar so I think you are right. Although I think Goddard has a better kicking game.

Wilson is probably the long term future at 9 even with Gordon resigning. I hope they keep Wilson around for a long time.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)

1. Lambert
2. Vailanu
3. Botha
4. Seu
5. Holloway
6. Harris
7. Gamble
8. Gleeson
9. Gordon
10. Donaldson
11. Pietsch
12. Foketi
13. Perese
15. Jorgenson

16. Latu
17. Faulkner
18. Holz
19. Sinclair
20. Swinton
21. Goddard
22. Edmed
23. Tuipulotu/Walton
Didn't Harris get 2 yellow cards in the 2 consecutive matches? I'm almost certain he got both of them coming on from the bench aswell. Is there nobody else we can replace him with?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Didn't Harris get 2 yellow cards in the 2 consecutive matches? I'm almost certain he got both of them coming on from the bench aswell. Is there nobody else we can replace him with?

They're both essentially team cards though.

I certainly don't think he's a liability in that regard.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
7 weeks for Swinton.

Judicial Committee: Helen Morgan (Chair), Chris Smith and Ofisa Tonu’u
Player: Lachlan Swinton
Team: NSW Waratahs
Position: Loose forward
Date of Incident: 15 April 2023
Nature of Offence: Law 9.13: A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously.
Elapsed time in match when offence occurred: 00:21

SANZAAR NEWS RELEASE

Lachlan Swinton suspended for 7 weeks

A SANZAAR Judicial Committee Hearing has found Lachlan Swinton of the NSW Waratahs guilty of contravening Law 9.13: A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously after he was Cited following a Super Rugby Pacific Match at the Weekend.

Swinton has been suspended for 7 weeks, up to and including 3 June 2023.

The incident occurred within the first minute of the match between NSW Waratahs and Western Force, played at Allianz Stadium in Sydney on 15 April 2023.

The SANZAAR Judicial Hearing held via video conference on Tuesday 18 April, 6:00 pm (AEST), 8:00 pm (NZST) was heard by Helen Morgan (Chair), Chris Smith and Ofisa Tonu’u.

In her finding, Judicial Committee Chair Helen Morgan ruled the following:

"Having conducted a detailed review of all the available evidence, including all camera angles and additional evidence, including submissions from the Player and his legal representative, Mr Aaron Lloyd, the Judicial Committee upheld the Citing under Law 9.13."

"With respect to sanction, the Judicial Committee deemed the act of foul play was reckless, with the contact point directly made with the head, high force and no mitigating factors present. The Committee found the incident was highly dangerous and, after considering all relevant factors of World Rugby’s Head Contact Process and sanctioning table, decided the foul play merited a top-end entry point of 10 weeks. Taking into account mitigating factors, including the Player's acceptance of guilt that the incident was foul play, conduct at the hearing and remorse, the Judicial Committee reduced the suspension by three weeks."

"The player is therefore suspended for 7 weeks, up to and including 3 June 2023.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I wouldn't have thought so at the beginning of the year, but I don't believe the loss of Swinton is going to be a huge detriment to the Tahs. While he hasn't been bad, he hasn't had a huge impact, and we really don't lose much with players like Gleeson, Harris, Gamble, Sinclair and Seu to cover the gap
IMO the absence that has really punished the Tahs is Bell, and to a lesser extent Harrison.
Swinton has continually shown a complete inability to correctly target his aggression.

Alex Ross (28)
I wouldn't have thought so at the beginning of the year, but I don't believe the loss of Swinton is going to be a huge detriment to the Tahs. While he hasn't been bad, he hasn't had a huge impact, and we really don't lose much with players like Gleeson, Harris, Gamble, Sinclair and Seu to cover the gap
IMO the absence that has really punished the Tahs is Bell, and to a lesser extent Harrison.
Swinton has continually shown a complete inability to correctly target his aggression.
It’s more losing someone unnecessarily when injuries are hurting the squad already that’s the biggest disappointment

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The NSW Waratahs are delighted to announce the signing of Nephi Leatigaga, the Samoan-born prop, from Leicester Tigers in the UK.

Leatigaga joins the Waratahs on an injury cover contract for Angus Bell, who suffered a season ending toe injury during the team's round one clash with the Brumbies.

Leatigaga brings a wealth of European experience to the Waratahs, having made over 70 appearances for Leicester Tigers in his four seasons at the club and stints at Biarritz in France and Piacenza in Italy.

The 29-year-old has also represented Samoa at both Under-20 and senior levels (6 Test caps), and his size and power make him a formidable presence in the front row.