• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Charlie Gamble is

It also mentioned Gamble having put on weight, I'm slightly bias but think he is potentially Australia's heir to George Smith.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as the Wallabies starting 7 for the World Cup, he is the complete package, has everything that Hooper and McReight lack - size, physicality, on & off the ball strength. He's a real modern day 7, not just a link-man such as Hooper and McReight who invariably get outmuscled in the tight at international level.
Something he doesn't have is the 10yrs of being a World Class player that Hooper has had.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Hooper isn't effective in collisions at test level, McReight is the same, they are too lightweight. The game is now too skewed towards heavier players who can dominate at the ruck, in tight, defensively and get you over the gain-line. It's the reality of international rugby today because of the laws, the game doesn't reward the nimbler fitter mobile players, it only rewards players who can dominate collisions.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We're one year removed from Hooper winning his fourth John Eales Medal and being a nominee for the World Rugby XVs player of the year.

Maybe hold fire a bit before we write him off?

His 2022 season was pretty disjointed with concussions and mental health issues etc.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We're one year removed from Hooper winning his fourth John Eales Medal and being a nominee for the World Rugby XVs player of the year.

Maybe hold fire a bit before we write him off?

His 2022 season was pretty disjointed with concussions and mental health issues etc.
Agreed, not writing him off, but those concussions and mental health issues mean he now has to demonstrate he is back to his earlier form

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agreed, not writing him off, but those concussions and mental health issues mean he now has to demonstrate he is back to his earlier form

Sure, but I'd also be incredibly surprised if it's not his spot to lose.

It would be weird if Eddie Jones was heading into the season thinking Charlie Gamble was the frontrunner to wear the 7 shirt for the Wallabies unless Hooper stepped back up to his previous form.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Eager to see what having Gamble in the team and spoken so highly of might do for a guy like Hooper. Being pushed and the supposed competitor for his jersey might push both onto huge efforts. I’m a Gamble fan but never write off a Champ. Add Gleeson, Swinton, Harris, Holloway into it and that’s a stacked back row group.

Last edited:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
With Gamble having already secured the no.7 Wallaby RWC jersey and keeping Hooper out of the squad, as well as the Tahs forward pack stacking on the kg’s, it’s easy to see why the Tahs are pre-season champions.
You've been trolled by a Kiwi talking up a Waratah....who happens to be a Kiwi. Rookie error. ;)

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
My thoughts for the Waratah battle at 10 will be that Edmed will win out as the 10, with Donaldson slotting in at 15. The fact that Donaldson can play 15 and Edmed can't, will allow Coleman not having to choose between the two for the 10 position, and possibly leaving one of them on the bench. Jorgenson won't be thrown to the wolves too early and this gives the Waratahs two play makers on the field. Foketi back in at 12, Perese at 13 with Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) on one wing and Nadolo on the other. They could blood Jorgenson on the wing with Nadolo on the bench? Gordon obviously 9.
Coleman will want to start fast and beat the Brumbies so let's hope this backline trots out against The Reds this weekend because it will be more than likely the one to face the Brumbies in the opening game at the SFS on the 24th.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
My thoughts for the Waratah battle at 10 will be that Edmed will win out as the 10, with Donaldson slotting in at 15. The fact that Donaldson can play 15 and Edmed can't, will allow Coleman not having to choose between the two for the 10 position, and possibly leaving one of them on the bench. Jorgenson won't be thrown to the wolves too early and this gives the Waratahs two play makers on the field. Foketi back in at 12, Perese at 13 with Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) on one wing and Nadolo on the other. They could blood Jorgenson on the wing with Nadolo on the bench? Gordon obviously 9.
Coleman will want to start fast and beat the Brumbies so let's hope this backline trots out against The Reds this weekend because it will be more than likely the one to face the Brumbies in the opening game at the SFS on the 24th.
Where does Harrison fit? Or never returns?

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Lightblue is willing him into non-existence.
Old mate Derpus … legend of his keyboard speaks. Harrison is a player who should be starting.. as should Edmed and Donaldson. They all are very good and have different styles but too good to be at the one franchise. Plus the Waratahs have Bowen in the wings, who is also no slouch for a young bloke. I don’t shitpot anyone, unlike you. Anyone who plays at this level no doubt has achieved far more than punters on this forum I would suspect.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My thoughts for the Waratah battle at 10 will be that Edmed will win out as the 10, with Donaldson slotting in at 15. The fact that Donaldson can play 15 and Edmed can't, will allow Coleman not having to choose between the two for the 10 position, and possibly leaving one of them on the bench. Jorgenson won't be thrown to the wolves too early and this gives the Waratahs two play makers on the field. Foketi back in at 12, Perese at 13 with Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) on one wing and Nadolo on the other. They could blood Jorgenson on the wing with Nadolo on the bench? Gordon obviously 9.
I think Nadolo will be preferred as a bench beast at the back end of games against tiring defenses

I can't see him having the workrate off the ball to start

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Nadolo will be preferred as a bench beast at the back end of games against tiring defenses

I can't see him having the workrate off the ball to start

I agree in general but with Pietsch now likely out for the first few games, maybe he does get an opportunity to start the season on the field?

He won't be playing 80 minutes though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I agree in general but with Pietsch now likely out for the first few games, maybe he does get an opportunity to start the season on the field?

He won't be playing 80 minutes though.
He was a bit of a container ship going backwards at his best

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Selections early in the season are going to be heavily dependent on the returns of Perese, Walton and Harrison (and Pietsch).

I reckon our best backline is something like:

Gordon
Donaldson
Pietsch
Foketi
Perese
Nawaqanitawase
Harrison

Goddard
Edmed
Nadolo

Walton could certainly slot into the centres though and Perese move to the wing if we were trying to fill a hole there.

If Walton, Harrison and Pietsch were unavailable for round one, you probably have:

10. Edmed
11. Nawaqanitawase
14. Nadolo
15. Donaldson

22. Tuipulotu
23. Jorgenson