• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2025

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
As a complete guessing fella, I wud say RA know the rebels are gone, will ship half their players to Sydney, including their coach and most of his coaching group over to tah land.

Wilkin is from Sydney uni, ...
He might have played for them but I'd hazard a guess his heart lies with a different blue and gold team.

Plenty of those guys have much stronger QLD ties than NSW ones and if you believe they left because of Thorn then the barrier to returning isn't there anymore.

More generally all of those players will have plenty of say in where they go and there won't be much room for RA to direct them. There maybe more opportunities within Australia at the tahs, but there will still be plenty of interest for the top flight talent at the the other super sides. More likely though is taking even more money on offer overseas. Yes, it's a more stable and complete squad in QLD with fewer places but given the collapse of a team will likely trigger cap exemptions they have the capacity to pay for players they really want, more so than the tahs will be able to. Similarly Twiggy may well see opportunity and front the cash pluck some choice options out of that list.

It's a dangerous game the tahs are playing if they expect to have their pick of the squad as it stands, particularly given they're bleeding players in the interim on the assumption they'll have it.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
My biggest concern about the Waratahs heading into offseason is this fake salary cap - super rugby sides are suppose to work on.

rough mathematics
JS 1.6m
Kellaway 500k
Jorgenson 500k

that’s 2.6M towards 3x players that potentially want to play the same position #15.

unsure what the salary cap is but the Tahs do have a shitty front office with those 3 signings. It’s fantasy football stuff where you just load up with 3 “faces of the game” and worry about plugging the other positions at a later date.
2.6 minus the RA top up component.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
reading the tea leaves perhaps?

the other super rugby franchises aren’t having max departures (including the rebels)

if you connect the dots - a conclusion one could make is Waratahs are in line to get the spoils of the defunct rebels
Oh I see my error

I saw "banking on no rebels" - as in no rebels players coming. NOT no rebels, as in rebels not existing.

Absolutely yes they, and the force, would be very keen for the rebels to fold. Both need a replacement 13 for Perese/Spink - well Daugunu just got a whole lot more valuable! Hanigan AND Swinton leaving?! Leota just got more valuable also. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Canham will be in demand, the props,

Anyway - yes i read that wrong.

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
He might have played for them but I'd hazard a guess his heart lies with a different blue and gold team.

Plenty of those guys have much stronger QLD ties than NSW ones and if you believe they left because of Thorn then the barrier to returning isn't there anymore.

More generally all of those players will have plenty of say in where they go and there won't be much room for RA to direct them. There maybe more opportunities within Australia at the tahs, but there will still be plenty of interest for the top flight talent at the the other super sides. More likely though is taking even more money on offer overseas. Yes, it's a more stable and complete squad in QLD with fewer places but given the collapse of a team will likely trigger cap exemptions they have the capacity to pay for players they really want, more so than the tahs will be able to. Similarly Twiggy may well see opportunity and front the cash pluck some choice options out of that list.

It's a dangerous game the tahs are playing if they expect to have their pick of the squad as it stands, particularly given they're bleeding players in the interim on the assumption they'll have it.
The Tahs aren't playing games, ARU writes the cheques now. Coleman and Doorn have both been quoted as saying they aren't in a strong position to contract players atm due to the uncertainty of the coaching, possible rebels players etc.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I think Doorn is playing both sides, though. In that recent interview, he wanted to emphasise that he hasn’t “given the keys” to RA, but then he’s happy to shrug his shoulders and point at RA when he can’t contact players. Though, most of the CEOs do the same.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
He's a Fijiian who moved to Brisbane and played for Wests Bulldogs in... 2021 I think. A touch short for a lock (196cm) but a very good all round rugby player.
I know he did some rugby clinic stuff in Fiji but I thought his family background was Samoan, ... with him being born in Oz.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
So how legit are the rumours about Cheika? I think no more than a 2 year contract before he goes troppo.
I like Coleman a lot and so do the players, but the biggest rugby playing state is dead last on the log.
Hard to argue keeping him on.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I like DC also but coming last has consequences in pro sports. Hasn't been a great environment and injuries have been brutal but I think running it back in pre season with the same set up is just driving people and potential players away.

You need to sell some hope. QLD made the call on Thorn as it seemed the rot was just starting. The Tahs are further along IMO.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I said it in the match thread, but I think there is a culture issue at the Tahs, that began with the Gibson era and we don't seem to have lifted out of. There are definitely positions we have weaknesses in, as do most teams, but generally most of the players are good enough to compete at this level, and often show that on the paddock, but as a team it just doesn't work, and each week seem to find a new way to lose.
The culture of an organisation is set at the top, and while I doubt DC has been the cause of the poor culture, nor does he seem to have been able to change it.
I'm clearly too far away to identify exactly where the problem lies, but leadership, at management level, in the coaching box and on the field all need to be looked at. Get that culture right and you make a big step forward, then of course game plan, selections, fitness etc all play a part, but won't overcome a losing culture.
While I'm aware of the dislike the other provinces have of him, Cheika was the last person to turn the culture around at the Tahs, as he did at Leinster and as he did at the Pumas. The other provinces don't have to worry, no-one is suggesting he return to the Wallabies. There may be others who can do the same thing, but we know MC can, and he is a Tah at heart.

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
I like DC also but coming last has consequences in pro sports. Hasn't been a great environment and injuries have been brutal but I think running it back in pre season with the same set up is just driving people and potential players away.

You need to sell some hope. QLD made the call on Thorn as it seemed the rot was just starting. The Tahs are further along IMO.
You like DC? It seems none of the players do!