• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs v Brumbies, 7.45pm, Sat 8th June, BankWest (Parra) Stadium

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
May as well get this one going early.

Brumbies are undoubtedly the form Aussie side but the Waratahs are the perennial party spoilers when it comes to the Aussie derbies and are at home. Hopefully this one can draw a reasonable crowd.

Head says Brumbies, heart says Tahs. Reckon it will be a close one either way.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
For the Tahs I think it is Foley, Beale, Hooper, Kepu and Simmons all to be rested once more.

Ok well that would put a dent in our chances. For mine we may as well play them all this week. If we lose we are highly unlikely to make it anyway and they can rest next week. If we win we're likely to be in with a shot for the finals but make that next week's problem! Plus there are test jerseys on the line and a good crowd in the west would be nice.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ok well that would put a dent in our chances. For mine we may as well play them all this week. If we lose we are highly unlikely to make it anyway and they can rest next week. If we win we're likely to be in with a shot for the finals but make that next week's problem! Plus there are test jerseys on the line and a good crowd in the west would be nice.

Yeah, they all have to play this weekend. There's no point resting them for the last home game.

Hopefully if they do beat the Brumbies, Gibson will remain true to his word and rest them next week against the Highlanders. It would be incredibly unhelpful for any future cooperation between the Super Rugby sides and the Wallabies if he doesn't.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Someone from the Brumbies give some insight into your 'resting' status? I'm guessing the props, plus TK, plus maybe Arnold need to miss one or two. Personally I'd like both teams to play at full strength but I'm curious.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Someone from the Brumbies give some insight into your 'resting' status? I'm guessing the props, plus TK, plus maybe Arnold need to miss one or two. Personally I'd like both teams to play at full strength but I'm curious.

The Brumbies have fulfilled all their Wallabies resting requirements.........

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Brumbies have fulfilled all their Wallabies resting requirements...

And their resting requirements too, Slim.

KOB, you are right with the props, TK and Arnold needed to be rested, but also Folau Fainga'a. As Slim has indicated, they have all satisfied their resting loads.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
So looking into the game. Where are the mismatches?

Overall I'd say:

Brumbies forwards > Waratahs
Waratahs backs > Brumbies

Breaking that down a little:
Brumbies tight 5 > Waratahs
Waratahs loosies > Brumbies
Waratahs halves > Brumbies (sorry BR)
Brumbies centres > Waratahs
Waratahs back 3 > Brumbies

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The bookies have the Tahs starting as narrow favourites.

Given the Tahs haven't won two weeks in a row all season nor have they won either of their games at the new stadium, the Brumbies look like great value!

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Based on nothing more than the Tahs want it more than the safe and secure at the top of the table Brumbies, my money is on NSW for this one.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The bookies have the Tahs starting as narrow favourites.

Given the Tahs haven't won two weeks in a row all season nor have they won either of their games at the new stadium, the Brumbies look like great value!
Pffft. Stats.

If we’re going to use stats I prefer that the Tahs have won 8/9 of the last matches between the two in Sydney, and that in 3 of the last 4 of those wins the Brumbies haven’t scored more than 8 points. Those stats are much more favourable for us than yours!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So looking into the game. Where are the mismatches?

Overall I'd say:

Brumbies forwards > Waratahs
Waratahs backs > Brumbies

Breaking that down a little:
Brumbies tight 5 > Waratahs
Waratahs loosies > Brumbies
Waratahs halves > Brumbies (sorry BR)
Brumbies centres > Waratahs
Waratahs back 3 > Brumbies
Hooper is the form backrower, in my opinion. But beyond him the Brumbies backrow and bench loosies are much better.

It's hard to go past Speight, Pulu and Banks on form. I'd switch this.

Agree on halves though, don't rate Powell and CLL is serviceable but not as good as Foley.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Hooper is the form backrower, in my opinion. But beyond him the Brumbies backrow and bench loosies are much better.

It's hard to go past Speight, Pulu and Banks on form. I'd switch this.

Agree on halves though, don't rate Powell and CLL is serviceable but not as good as Foley.

Are people rating Foley based on his 2015 WC peak? He has been no better than serviceable himself this year. None of our fly halves have set the world on fire this season. If anything Lealiifano has been the most consistent of all of them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Are people rating Foley based on his 2015 WC peak? He has been no better than serviceable himself this year. None of our fly halves have set the world on fire this season. If anything Lealiifano has been the most consistent of all of them.
No, based on this year.