• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Week 2 Brumbies @ Blues

How badly will the Brumbies lose?

• Moderately so

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Even more moderately so

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Apocalyptically so

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • So badly so that Tomikin will delete his account and commit ritual suicide from the shame of it

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • We still doing this Melbourne thing, huh?

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Dismal was far better than you at these, you tedious cnt

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Where is that fker anyways?

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • We should put together an expedition to the Pitcairns to find him

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • The not-even-a-proper-state team will win (note, this is clearly the joke option)

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Obligatory pole option

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
In Melbourne for some esoteric reason.

Regardless, we have a Dismal patented pole to let the people have their say in how the Canberra My Little Pony Enthusiasts Club, and their pathetic one win so far this season, will perform against the undefeated Blues.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
1677544774883.png

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seems A.Ioane's injury may rule him out for some weeks. Hoping we see Suafoa returned to blindside with Tucker starting at lock and someone like Plumtree on the bench .

EDIT: Though I think Robinson may also be available again too.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Seems A.Ioane's injury may rule him out for some weeks. Hoping we see Suafoa returned to blindside with Tucker starting at lock and someone like Plumtree on the bench .

EDIT: Though I think Robinson may also be available again too.

Stuff are reporting that Segner is going to come in for Akira this weekend. I wonder if the Blues are planning on playing a high tempo game given the hot temps predicted on Sunday afternoon in Melbourne (30 degrees).

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Blues named.

Blues Team v Brumbies

1. Joshua Fusitu’a
  2. Ricky Riccitelli
  3. James Lay
  4. Patrick Tuipulotu
  5. Cameron Suafoa
  6. Tom Robinson (Adrian Choat)
  7. Dalton Papalii
  8. Hoskins Sotutu
  9. Finlay Christie
  10. Beauden Barrett
  11. Caleb Clarke
  12. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
  13. Rieko Ioane
  14. Mark Telea
  15. Stephen Perofeta
    Reserves:
  16. Kurt Eklund
  17. Ofa Tuungafasi
  18. Marcel Renata
  19. James Tucker
  20. Adrian Choat (Anton Segner)
  21. Taufa Funaki
  22. Bryce Heem
  23. Jacob Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Brumbies (1-15): James Slipper, Lachlan Lonergan, Allan Ala'alatoa (c), Nick Frost, Cadeyrn Neville, Rob Valetini, Rory Scott, Pete Samu, Ryan Lonergan, Jack Debreczeni, Corey Toole, Tamati Tua, Len Ikitau, Andy Muirhead, Tom Wright.
Replacements: John Ulugia, Blake Schoupp, Rhys Van Nek, Darcy Swain, Luke Reimer, Nic White, Noah Lolesio, Ollie Sapsford.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Slipper and Schoupp swap places and Lachie Lonergan comes back in after a dose of COVID. Otherwise, no change. Stability is a good thing, but I do think the Blues will be a bit too strong and too fast across the park. Hoping for a losing bonus point at worst. Revenge for the Semi last year would be absolutely sweet.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Slipper and Schoupp swap places and Lachie Lonergan comes back in after a dose of COVID. Otherwise, no change. Stability is a good thing, but I do think the Blues will be a bit too strong and too fast across the park. Hoping for a losing bonus point at worst. Revenge for the Semi last year would be absolutely sweet.

BR: I think you are severely downplaying the strength of the Brumby forwards and the weaknesses in the Blues pack. Yes the Blues backs are extremely dangerous, but if they are trying to work with 20% possession they risk trying to do too much. The Brumbies backs to me were pretty decent last week, particularly defending, and they are very effective on the counter.

It will be a good test to see where the Brumbies are in comparison to the NZ sides, but I wasn't that impressed with the Blues last week and I think they'll get throttled in the pigs and end up being done pretty comprehensively. If Australia's best Super side gets badly beaten by the half-strength Blues then God help the rest of the Aussie teams.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In Melbourne for some esoteric reason.

Regardless, we have a Dismal patented pole to let the people have their say in how the Canberra My Little Pony Enthusiasts Club, and their pathetic one win so far this season, will perform against the undefeated Blues.
That fluffybunny still alive?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Brumbies with almost a full Wallaby pack. I'd be playing it as tight and slow as possible. Expect to see plenty of bullshit from the Brumbies around the ruck.

Blues will score from anywhere on turnover ball.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BR: I think you are severely downplaying the strength of the Brumby forwards and the weaknesses in the Blues pack. Yes the Blues backs are extremely dangerous, but if they are trying to work with 20% possession they risk trying to do too much. The Brumbies backs to me were pretty decent last week, particularly defending, and they are very effective on the counter.

It will be a good test to see where the Brumbies are in comparison to the NZ sides, but I wasn't that impressed with the Blues last week and I think they'll get throttled in the pigs and end up being done pretty comprehensively. If Australia's best Super side gets badly beaten by the half-strength Blues then God help the rest of the Aussie teams.
I hope you're right Hawko but I just can't see it happening. The Blues were impressive across the park last week imo and at best, I'm hoping for a close game.

The Brumbies really haven't sorted out their backline yet. Is the Lonergan/Debreczini combination better than White/Lolesio? One combo containing two Wallabies and the other a promising No 9 and in some eyes a journeyman No 10. Is Tua a Super Rugby NO 12? Yet to be seen. Is Tom Wright really the best option at 15? Many questions yet to be answered and unfortunately if any of the answers in this week's team are wrong, then it could easily be a comprehensive win to the Blues.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle - I can't see either side winning comprehensively - I think it will be a close game just like both Blues-Brumbies games were last year.

It should be fascinating as the Brumbies look stronger up front and more attacking this year but with the new rules and a hot day expected (as opposed to say a winter's night in Canberra or Auckland) the Blues may be able to play a high paced game that suits them.

Game of the round on paper.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I hope you're right Hawko but I just can't see it happening. The Blues were impressive across the park last week imo and at best, I'm hoping for a close game.

The Brumbies really haven't sorted out their backline yet. Is the Lonergan/Debreczini combination better than White/Lolesio? One combo containing two Wallabies and the other a promising No 9 and in some eyes a journeyman No 10. Is Tua a Super Rugby NO 12? Yet to be seen. Is Tom Wright really the best option at 15? Many questions yet to be answered and unfortunately if any of the answers in this week's team are wrong, then it could easily be a comprehensive win to the Blues.

This time try White/Lolesio v Christie/Barret. I'd give White the win but a gulf at 10. Lonergan/Debreczeni v Christie/Barrett, now that's interesting. Clearly advantage to the Blues, but an interesting watch. Thanks for pointing it out - will make the game more interesting.

You also have to think White/Lolesio v Funaki/Barrett or a tiring Christie/Barrett. (Would the Blues fans like to advise who backs up at 10?) That should be something of a "gimme" to both White and Loloseio against tiring legs and a huge opportunity to stand out for Eddie Jones.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
This time try White/Lolesio v Christie/Barret. I'd give White the win but a gulf at 10. Lonergan/Debreczeni v Christie/Barrett, now that's interesting. Clearly advantage to the Blues, but an interesting watch. Thanks for pointing it out - will make the game more interesting.

You also have to think White/Lolesio v Funaki/Barrett or a tiring Christie/Barrett. (Would the Blues fans like to advise who backs up at 10?) That should be something of a "gimme" to both White and Loloseio against tiring legs and a huge opportunity to stand out for Eddie Jones.

Perofeta is the Blues backup 10 and the Blues backline arguably functions better with Perofeta at 10 than Barrett imo. I would prefer to see Perofeta at 10 and Barrett at 15. Perofeta played really well at 10 in his chances last year which is how he cracked the ABs.

On the other hand I think Debreczeni is a better territory kicker than Barrett - Beauden is a wonderfully instinctive player and strong at attacking kicks (cross kicks, chip kicks etc) but his territory kicking is actually pretty average.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Could be the most interesting head to head match up of the whole round, and most crucial for the makeup of the Wallabies later in the year.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Perofeta is the Blues backup 10 and the Blues backline arguably functions better with Perofeta at 10 than Barrett imo. I would prefer to see Perofeta at 10 and Barrett at 15. Perofeta played really well at 10 in his chances last year which is how he cracked the ABs.

On the other hand I think Debreczeni is a better territory kicker than Barrett - Beauden is a wonderfully instinctive player and strong at attacking kicks (cross kicks, chip kicks etc) but his territory kicking is actually pretty average.

So we may end up with White/Lolesio v Funaki/Perofeta and Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens v Wright?

If fitness holds I'm giving that to the Brumbies. On paper.

More than that, with a possibly stronger starting 5, and interesting planning for the finishers, I'm thinking possibly Brumbies. On paper as I said. Certainly it's about as good as it gets from Aus against a Kiwi side.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Defence will certainly be critical. The firepower in that Blues' side is extravagant. On top of that, the NZ sides play a faster game and keep the ball in play significantly longer than Aus sides (based on a sample of one round of SR23). Could be a very tiring evening for the Brumbies. Hopefully, they will attack the breakdown with the verve they showed against the Tahs.