• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force members letter

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mezza

We (Western Force members) all received an email open letter yesterday from Greg Harris (CEO RugbyWA). I am guessing it is pretty much a standard public relations type activity but I thought I would copy and past some aspects of it since clearly none of you here on TYS are Force members, or even have much of an interest in them so I thought I would take on the role of the Force's PR person while on here.

It is interesting to note several things: that we have the largest membership base in Aus; that we do still have sponsors even though there seems to have been plenty of speculation about that not being true; and the stadium issue is being discussed from the Members Equity stadium perspective rather than a new stadium. (the stadium is more of a problem for AFL and while it has been on the boards for some time I think the current economic crisis will see it shelved indefinitely).

Dear valued Emirates Western Force members,
?The sea of blue? is renowned across the competition as being the most vocal and enthusiastic crowd in the Investec Super 14 and we are honoured to boast the largest membership base of any rugby team in the country.

I wanted to ??.update you on a number of matters currently being addressed at RugbyWA.

You will be aware that there have been speculative reports in the news about player unrest at our club.

The organisation has recently completed an annual review ??

You would be aware of reports recently about one of our major sponsors, Firepower, failing to honour sponsorship commitments with RugbyWA and third party arrangements with a handful of Emirates Western Force players.

RugbyWA is doing everything possible to assist players who were affected by the Firepower fallout to secure alternative arrangements with respect to third party sponsorships. We are delighted to have Volvo on board and also ET Mining Hire & Sales. Our naming rights sponsor Emirates has renewed until the end of 2011, the club is now in a strong position ?off the field?.

Much of our off-season has been spent solidifying our roster for the 2009 season, with a focus on retaining the young talent we have at the club. Two of our brightest young talents, David Pocock and James O?Connor, extended their contracts with the Emirates Western Force this year

The debut of Richard Brown in the Tri Nations decider, followed by the introduction of these two youngsters, has only enhanced the reputation of the Emirates Western Force as a breeding ground for future Wallabies.

Coupled with the retention of key senior players over the past 12 months, including Scott Staniforth, Nathan Sharpe, Ryan Cross and Cameron Shepherd, the future certainly is bright.

We have also bolstered our playing list for 2009 with the addition of four-Test scrumhalf Josh Valentine, who we believe will compliment our style of play and become an influential member of the team.

Another major event on the horizon for RugbyWA is the relocation of our team and administration from our current facilities at Perry Lakes. Following 12 months of planning for a move to a site in Mount Claremont, we learned recently that an issue with soil contamination will prevent the state government from building a purpose-built facility at the proposed site. .... and we are confident of securing a new site to build new facilities and complete our relocation by mid to late 2010. We are continuing to lobby the government on this issue and the RugbyWA Board has confirmed its support for an upgrade to Members Equity Stadium to increase its seating capacity to 25,000 with 2,000 seats for corporate supporters.color]

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good stuff Mezza, we are rather short of 4s info. So keep it up.

Has the potential to be a great backline next year:

15 Shepherd
14 Cummins
13 Cross
12 Staniforth
11 Mitchell
10 Giteau
9 Valentine.

I'd be looking at starting O'Connor at 12 with Staniforth on the wing (making it an all Wallaby backline), but at the least you have him on the bench.

Then there's Brown and Pocock in the back row.

Sharpe (the ghost of Wallaby lock past) and Hocking (the ghost of Wallaby lock future) in the 2nd row.

And then we have the front row...............hmmmmmm.........well......pray for a marquee signing there!

M

mezza

Yes Noddy... the backline is looking very good.. Pity about Sharpie... I used to really look forward to his play but he has faded badly and is indeed a ghost of his former self. :(

The youngsters are looking good too, so that bodes well for the future. A marquee signing would just make it all ok and we could stop worrying about our future. In this financial crisis time getting someone to forkout big biccies might be just a tad difficult.

Thanks for the welcome Scarfman. :)

Turban??? Oh well, I will just duck off when he starts up....... Its not in my nature to take people on.

B

brokendown gunfighter

even though the Force has a no name front row,they werent pushed around too much last season
anyway name me any fearsome Australian super 14 front row :lmao:

F

formeropenside

brokendown gunfighter said:
even though the Force has a no name front row,they werent pushed around too much last season
anyway name me any fearsome Australian super 14 front row :lmao:

Holmes, Moore and Edwards is up there. Pity we lost Moore.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Mezza, welcome. We TYS old-timers hope you enjoy your time here even more than PR. Your offspring (those who're older than Noddy), they're involved in rugby? Of course they are, silly question.

We probably take an ingrained love of rugby for granted here on TYS; we'd be delighted to hear of the travails from a fellow Scarfer languishing in an AFL state. I, for one, admire the dedication of the Force's supporters in the west and the wonderfully enthusiastic support they have. Has Kim Beazley's backing helped?

Looking forward to your perspicacious posts from the west.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
Mezza, welcome. We TYS old-timers hope you enjoy your time here even more than PR. Your offspring (those who're older than Noddy), they're involved in rugby? Of course they are, silly question.

We probably take an ingrained love of rugby for granted here on TYS; we'd be delighted to hear of the travails from a fellow Scarfer languishing in an AFL state. I, for one, admire the dedication of the Force's supporters in the west and the wonderfully enthusiastic support they have. Has Kim Beazley's backing helped?

Looking forward to your perspicacious posts from the west.

Two questions:

1) Did you just call me an old whore?

2) What does perspicacious mean?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Noddy, Noddy, a Terrace boy forgetting his English grammar? What's happening in the Sunshine State? 8) 8) 8)

Perspicacious: acutely perceptive or discerning. Or having keen eyesight (archaic). Hopefully it fits for Mezza's reports.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Lindommer said:
Noddy, Noddy, a Terrace boy forgetting his English grammar?

No he hasn't - sends her a postcard every Christmas 8)

thangyew thangyew I'm here all week. Try the veal!

T

Turban

Scarfman said:
Thanks for the info mez, welcome.

I pity you when Turban gets here, but welcome!

Am i really that negative about the state of our union?

I voted Liberal this year for one reason. They promised to look into a new stadium for the rectagular sports. If that falls through I'll be pretty dissapointed but I don't think 25'000 seats at Members Equity will be big enough. Plus the parking in that area is horrid. I'm still holding out for the Cockburn sporting complex, that way I won't have to wait 30mins for a train home like I've had to do from Force games in the past.

I didn't get the email, probably because i'm not a member as it's cheaper to buy the cheapest tickets and go sit in the best seats anyway. Subi can be like a ghost town with 25-30K fans.

I still shudder when i hear Sharpe mentioned as one of our Key players but i guess he is. He has had his moments for us, but I make a point of remembering the bad and dismissing the good because I'd rather see him smashing into rucks than trying to flick behind the back/under the legs double cut passes to the winger.

Josh Valentine, oh boy lets hope he doesn't become Henjak Mk II, he strikes me as the type and I've never been overly impressed with him from the little I've seen. Why oh why couldn't we keep Chris O'Young, he'd be a superstar by now if we'd spent the money/time on him instead of Henjak.

I'm looking forward to next season because I really think we have a good chance of being near the top of the table but I really wish we'd nabbed a few more solid T-5 players over the off season. It's great to brag about having the best young openside and a great young midfielder but niether will be capable of winning a game if the T-5 is getting torn a new one.

PS. Theres no going back to Perry Lakes, my club has nabbed the old seating thingo.

PPS. Welcome to the board, nice to see some more Force supporters finding their way here.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Turban said:
Scarfman said:

yada yada yada

Josh Valentine, oh boy lets hope he doesn't become Henjak Mk II, he strikes me as the type and I've never been overly impressed with him from the little I've seen. Why oh why couldn't we keep Chris O'Young, he'd be a superstar by now if we'd spent the money/time on him instead of Henjak.

but.....but....you do have him. Don't you? He's signed for next year.

T

Turban

Noddy said:
Turban said:
Scarfman said:

yada yada yada

but.....but....you do have him. Don't you? He's signed for next year.

I mean before when we let him go to Scotland because Henjak was so good we didn't need adequate HB cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.