• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What if Greg Growden was on GAGR??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Whilst perambulating over various rugby issues during my afternoon work break, a rather dreadful thought overcame me. What if Greg Growden was a poster on 'Green and Gold'? It is enough reading his vacuous, smug, self-indulgent 'troll-like' irrelevance in the Herald on a regular basis, but what if he was one of us??

Which GAGR member is most likely to be the "Sydney Morning Herald's Chief Rugby Writer". I get the idea that nearly all on this site actually know about the game and enjoy Rugby, so that should discount my theory that he is a participating member, but we never know.

And forewarned is forearmed as the saying goes.

But even if he has infiltrated it could be worse...there may be Danny Weidler or Phil Rothfield amongst us as well.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
There are a number of posters on here who I consider to be a little deficient in some positive human characteristics, but not one can I think of that gets anywhere close to Growden for inanity, stupidity, self-righteosness or malicious gossip. I reckon if he started posting here he wouldn't last a week before the mods speared him.

C

Cave Dweller

The only thing NSW rugby can beat Queensland is in the number of former chief executive officers, presidents, coaches and bankruptcies.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I use to think that Gnostic was Growden.

He'd usually post SMH articles as threads and had similar views with that infamous Tah's bias, and he use to run his own 'Team of the Week' thread on here the same as Growden's. I stopped thinking it was him after players outside of the Tahs started making his teams; but maybe that was just a cover..

1018676_o.gif

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have been a trenchant critic of Growden for many years, to the extent of actually writing a long, vitriolic letter of criticism to the Sports Editor of the SMH a few years ago - the reply to which was short and impertinent, frankly. In stark contrast to just about every other sporting journalist around, he has never actually seemed to grasp the notion that his coverage should be informative, fact-based, and balanced. For years we have read vacuous, bitter, fact-free diatribes of little real interest, coupled with columns of anonymous gossip and ludicrous anecdotes about things that just do not matter at all.

However, I have detected the slightest glimpses of a more positive attitude over the last three or so weeks. Perhaps the penny has finally dropped on the fact that his future does depend on the future of the game, and the future of the game does depend to some extent on the quality and affirmative nature of the coverage that it gets in the state's broadsheet.

Or perhaps the arrival of Georgina Robinson and Paul Cully has been of educative value to the sad old bugger. We can but hope, either way.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Had a thought on the way to work this morning - What if Paddy O'Brien, JON, and Dingo Deans were members as well.....???

They obviously don't listen to the many decent ideas and suggestions that are made..... but what if?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
my snouts at the ARU tell me that a certain member of a rugby related discussion forum, who writes under a certain monicker and supports a provincial team, has been spotted at a cafe in his home town and reportedly has an uncanny resemblance to a certain journalist at a certain national paper covering a sport which is played at a variety of levels across the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.