• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby

Women's Rugby

• it's awesome

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • it's awesome but I'm not the target market for this

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • it's rubbish

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • I watch it for the spunks

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I can only watch the top level stuff

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Maybe women's rugby can save the whole stupid sport

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • It'll be wild when the transgender blokes turn up for a game haha

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Does GAGR have ANY women members?

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Just Derpus

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Stupid Derpus

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Nice to see. RA failing to capitalize on the incredible growth of women's sport is pretty high up in the vast list of their failings.

Sadly it probably going to be down hill from here with the NRLW expanding to 12 teams from next year and with a shrinking talent player it's a solid bet that they'll look at Rugby to fill the gaps. Plenty of the women in the comp already have Rugby experience. If they were serious they'd at the very least go to a double round robin and get some kind of cross over with the NZ franchises.

Reactions: Ged

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sadly it probably going to be down hill from here with the NRLW expanding to 12 teams from next year and with a shrinking talent player it's a solid bet that they'll look at Rugby to fill the gaps. Plenty of the women in the comp already have Rugby experience. If they were serious they'd at the very least go to a double round robin and get some kind of cross over with the NZ franchises.
I guess you would know better than me but certainly seems like they've missed the boat (shock).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That and it would likely delay the Drua/Canes game to follow.

Meh, wouldn't hurt for the guys to be kept waiting by the women for a short time...

Needed to happen this year, even if only with post-season crossovers. By the time the new NRLW teams (incl Warriors) have filled their rosters there's likely to be a shortage of players to build the squad depth required for a comp that can compete. NZR & RA both missed the bus IMO.

Reactions: Ged

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Meh, wouldn't hurt for the guys to be kept waiting by the women for a short time...

Needed to happen this year, even if only with post-season crossovers. By the time the new NRLW teams (incl Warriors) have filled their rosters there's likely to be a shortage of players to build the squad depth required for a comp that can compete. NZR & RA both missed the bus IMO.

Agreed. Still glad the got such a crowd. And it wasn't just the early arrivals for the men's game. The crowd was very good from the start.

As for a SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) Womens. I'd say they have to sort it now. I have a little inside knowledge of how things worked when the Tigers, Sharks and Canberra etc. started off and they will likely look to cannibalise the existing clubs first for more experienced players then target 7s players. After that 15s. And all that will actively start late August/early September. I know this as my friend had 5 offers before the season had officially ended in 2022. So they need to get together and figure out how to make it work, and get all the players on board before the circus kicks off. The sooner the better. If not, yeah. How'd you like to see Ruby Tui in a Warriors jersey.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Lock in a wider paid 7s squad. Full time job paying around $100k is not to be sneezed at.
Lock in the wider Wallaroos squad now - again a full time job will keep them in.
Sponsorships / sponsorships/ sponsorship of each player. Connect them will quality employment opportunities. (which is what's happening with some of the NSW players now). We have the corporate connections in Womens rugby and its growing.
funding / funding / funding
Dont know how it would work but that merged comp with NZ has to happen. Costs and logistics the killer but there has to be a way.
Help them realise that mungo isnt this land of milk and honey with a game that everyone is climbing over each other to play. I'd argue, without the money, would many over 18s of either sex play?
Would there be a Subbies comp like we have in rugby with 5000 Seniors playing and no payment? ( well the comp is Amateur so who knows).
Finally we can't join an arms race with player salaries for mungo but we can be creative.
The Olympics this year for example is such a draw card for players.