• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Player of the Year?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Any guesses?

I'd imagine the majority of nominations will come from England and SA.

I'd say Underhill, Itoje, Farrell, Faf, would get nominations so far - but hard to pick any stand-outs really as most the England squad has performed so well, and no big stand-outs in SA.

Can't see any Aussies or welsh making it. Maybe an All Black - Barrett, Savea?

Has Japan played enough games to get a nomination?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The only Aussie with a sneaky outside shot would be Marika Koroibete I reckon.

Besides that I think you're right. Underhill, Itoje, Farrell, Faf, maybe Pollard, Kolbe or Steph du Toit, then an All Black (but who? Goodhue? Ardie Savea? Mo'unga? Aaron Smith?).

They generally favour the higher profile players, so we might still end up with Beauden Barrett, Alun Wyn-Jones and Johnny Sexton.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Sexton missed a few games didn't he? and the ones he did played weren't too flash. So I'd be disappointed to see his name in there.

I like Pollard, Steph du toit and Kolbe too. Kolbe is a great nomination, I hope he makes it on the field in the final and has a blinder.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Sexton missed a few games didn't he? and the ones he did played weren't too flash. So I'd be disappointed to see his name in there.

Yeah I suppose that was my point. I'm not sure how much thought they put into this.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In 2015 both Greig Laidlaw and Alun Wyn-Jones were nominated despite their teams getting knocked out in the quarter final.

On that basis I think there is a pretty good chance of a Japanese nomination (maybe Matsushima?).

Alun Wyn-Jones (or another Welsh player) is a good chance after their 6 Nations win and making it to the semi-finals.

I think Itoje and Farrell are good bets for nominations.

From the Springboks, Faf de Klerk is probably the most likely.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Gee I'd argue Underhill would be up there with Itoje and Farrell.

He didn't play any 6 Nations. He also doesn't play for Saracens.

Itoje only played one 6 Nations game.

I'm going to settle on Farrell. Played pretty much every test this year and won the UK premiership and European Champion's Cup with Saracens.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I'm going to settle on Farrell. Played pretty much every test this year and won the UK premiership and European Champion's Cup with Saracens.

Interesting on the 6 nations. We may see more welsh nominations then.

Do they take club games into account? I thought they only rated them on the internationals?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I tend to agree, but he is a back .........................................

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Do it by Nations

AUS. Koroibete
NZ. Savea
SA. Faf
ENG. Itoje
IRE. Ringrose/JS
WAL Wyn Jones
SCO. WC
FRN. Garces
JAP. Matso
ARG. Crevey
FIJ. NS

I'd say between Itoje and Faf, Koro & Savea both with chance

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
EIQk9-vWkAAfuEC.jpg:large

Well, we all got that pretty wrong.

Savea and Wyn Jones about the only players picked by anyone.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Bizarre they decide the nominees before the World Cup Final.

Historically speaking a MoTM effort in that match can go a long way towards winning you the award, eg. Dusatoir in 2011 and Carter in 2015.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Bizarre they decide the nominees before the World Cup Final.

Historically speaking a MoTM effort in that match can go a long way towards winning you the award, eg. Dusatoir in 2011 and Carter in 2015.

Yes bizarre indeed. I'd imagine big games by Faf, Itoje, and Underhill would put them into the running.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
World Rugby's issue is that it gets announced on Sunday. If you don't put your nominees out now you may as well not have them (and that's a reasonable position to take in RWC years).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
AWJ with a retirement announcement to go with it? (Or has he already made an announcement?). IMO he is not a shadow of his best and would not deserve the award on what I've seen of him this year, but as recognition of a lengthy career at the top, he just might get it above those other candidates. Itoje probably should get the gong.