• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby Awards 2021

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’d be curious to know how many games Marx started at hooker.
Or Barrett at 10???

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Pleased to see Hooper in there.
I’d be curious to know how many games Marx started at hooker.
Or Barrett at 10???
Barrett started about 6-7 games at 10,maybe more, I haven't actually counted properly but if I recollect last Bled, 2 against Argoes, 2 SA, Wales, Ireland and I think maybe Fiji or someone. Can't remember how many Marx started, but by same token didn't Kerevi only play 4 tests?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pleased to see Hooper in there.

Barrett started about 6-7 games at 10,maybe more, I haven't actually counted properly but if I recollect last Bled, 2 against Argoes, 2 SA, Wales, Ireland and I think maybe Fiji or someone. Can't remember how many Marx started, but by same token didn't Kerevi only play 4 tests?

BB only started 1 of 3 v us.

Yep, fair point about Kerevi but I guess the argument you'd make is that he is the best inside centre in Australia. If available, hes picked. Hard to make that argument for BB when he rode the pine behind Richie a few times and Marx the same.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
BB only started 1 of 3 v us.

Yep, fair point about Kerevi but I guess the argument you'd make is that he is the best inside centre in Australia. If available, hes picked. Hard to make that argument for BB when he rode the pine behind Richie a few times and Marx the same.
Yep too ways at looking at that I suppose mate, either BB proved himself to be better (remember he didn't start early as he was back from japan), or if I was a stirrer:rolleyes:;) I would say BB was first choice against better teams?And gave Mounga the easy tests where possible :p
But bottom line is Mounga started as first choice , but as I said BB passed him once he started playing!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'd have Valetini over Savea at 8, for sure. Backrow is just picked on captaincy.

Marx gets in because he's part of the 'bomb squad'.

Barrett at 10 is a reputation pick. If he'd played more rugby you'd probably plop Ntamack there.
I think you a bit hard on BB, as he played well I thought, but maybe I Ntamack may have got spot with more rugby, but same could probably be said about Marcus Smith etc too, they can only judge on what was played I suppose.
As for Valentini over Savea, I think they got it right, Valentini played well (but never thought he was near this team), but Ardie dominated in a couple of tests, which I never saw Valentini do really. I not sure why you would pick backrow on captaincy, Hooper deserved his spot without being a captain etc. I may have picked one or 2 different, but certainly noone in team I can really say shouldn't be there.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think Valetini and Tupou can both be considered unlucky to miss out.

No LHP got on top of TT this year and his open field play is just better than his opposition THPs. Valetini also finished on top or on par with his opposites, remembering too that the Wallabies had wins over the French (rated No 3?), the Saffas (rated No 1) and Argentina and Japan (both rated in top 10 I think). Even going down to the ABs, Valetini was not bested by Savea, who really is playing out of position to his detriment imo.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I’m biased but thought Hooper should’ve won player of the year. Well maybe hoped he would as recognition probably not that he was best.
Watch last night’s highlights of Cardiff v Toulouse and you’ll see why Dupont got it fairly. Must be the most influential player, bizarrely immense upper body strength for a 9.