• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2021/22 (World Series, Oceania, Comm Games & R7WC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Both teams looked down on previous tournaments. It corresponds with the change of coaches. I guess we can give it some time to gel.

I really wonder about Walsh I mean yes he got a gold medal but afterwords you could argue that he hasn't improved either team in charge since.

Is he that highly rated or did he just have a really good 2 weeks 5 years ago?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dowling and Dunbar got a fair bit of time on the park in the last series (and looked really good) and didn't get much time this time. The team dropped off a lot of tackles vs England was the main difference. For the girls, did you see winx get run down - first time ever.

yeah. blew my mind there. Thought it was a try for sure

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he's had way more success than just 2 weeks 5 years ago. But he does have a challenge ahead of him. I think that squad can be better than 2016, with only Ellia Green being the really tough one to replace. It's just how much better the opposition has become.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
he's had way more success than just 2 weeks 5 years ago. But he does have a challenge ahead of him. I think that squad can be better than 2016, with only Ellia Green being the really tough one to replace. It's just how much better the opposition has become.

Yeh my understanding was that 2016 team had been playing together for a while, all come through fairly solid women's 7s state pathways and the women's program in general was full steam ahead. That was in contrast to some of the other women's team at the time where they were just getting started.

The gap has closed because other programs have picked up the pace.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
don't forget that won World Series (under Walsh) both before and after Rio. One of their great achievements being the 2018 Sydney 7s which they won undefeated and without conceding a single point - even smashing NZ in the final. It's more than a one trick pony

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Australia's Women's 7's program went professional much earlier then the other countries around the world, I think it was only after, or just before the 2016 Olympics that NZRU established a training base for the Women's 7's team. Prior to that they only came together for training camps. Meanwhile the Aussie 7's teams had both been based at Narrabeen and training together fulltime since 2013.

Walsh oversaw the team through that period, and developed a quality team of players from all different background's, so I don't think his success should be undersold. Potentially the requirements have changed a little, but i'll wait and see how he goes over the course of the year before passing judgment.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I've watched Krisi Kuridrani play for my club team over a number years, back when he was fresh out of school and ended up with a Broncos U20s contract, and up to last year when he played 13 for Premier Grade. He's been a great player for GPS.

It definitely seemed a weird time to pick him for the national 7s team. He looked to have lost a yard or two of pace at club level, and didn't seem as agile as prior years. I haven't watched any of this tournament, but judging by the comments, the selection has missed the mark, as many thought it would.
I agree but also not criticising selection of seeing what he offers and experimenting. I don’t think he was great nor terrible, so ok if given more games but yeh not convinced at this point either.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Henry Patterson the only change for the men's team, in for Jed Stuart.

1. Henry Hutchison (c), 35 caps
  2. Solomone Vosaicake, 3 caps
  3. Corey Toole, 3 caps
  4. Dietrich Roache, 3 caps
  5. Yool Yool, 3 caps
  6. Darby Lancaster, 1 cap
  7. Josh Turner, 9 caps
  8. Ben Dowling, 3 caps
  9. Stu Dunbar, 4 caps
  10. Chris Kuridrani, 1 cap
  11. Maurice Longbottom, 22 caps
  12. Nathan Lawson, 1 cap
  13. Henry Paterson, 2 caps

Australian Men’s Sevens Seville Pool D Fixtures:
Saturday 29 January
Australia v Kenya, 12:59am AEDT
Australia v Scotland, 7:07pm AEDT

Sunday 30 January
Australia v Canada, 12:35am AEDT

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A few more changes for the women, notably Sharnie Williams is back. Teagan Levi and Rhiannon Byers back too. In for Terita, Staples and Whitfield

1. Lily Dick, 8 caps
  2. Sharni Williams, 37 caps
  3. Faith Nathan, 7 caps
  4. Dominique Du Toit, 18 caps
  5. Rhiannon Byers, 7 caps
  6. Alysia Lefau-Fakaosilea, 3 caps
  7. Charlotte Caslick, 36 caps
  8. Madison Ashby, 8 caps
  9. Tia Hinds, 3 caps
  10. Sariah Paki, 13 caps
  11. Demi Hayes, 15 caps
  12. Maddison Levi, 3 caps
  13. Teagan Levi, 1 cap

Australian Women’s Sevens Seville Pool C Fixtures:
Friday 28 January
Australia v Belgium, 11:50pm AEDT

Saturday 29 January
Australia v Spain, 6:03am AEDT
Australia v France, 11:41pm AEDT

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Henry Patterson the only change for the men's team, in for Jed Stuart.

1. Henry Hutchison (c), 35 caps
  2. Solomone Vosaicake, 3 caps
  3. Corey Toole, 3 caps
  4. Dietrich Roache, 3 caps
  5. Yool Yool, 3 caps
  6. Darby Lancaster, 1 cap
  7. Josh Turner, 9 caps
  8. Ben Dowling, 3 caps
  9. Stu Dunbar, 4 caps
  10. Chris Kuridrani, 1 cap
  11. Maurice Longbottom, 22 caps
  12. Nathan Lawson, 1 cap
  13. Henry Paterson, 2 caps

Australian Men’s Sevens Seville Pool D Fixtures:
Saturday 29 January
Australia v Kenya, 12:59am AEDT
Australia v Scotland, 7:07pm AEDT

Sunday 30 January
Australia v Canada, 12:35am AEDT

geez thats a young team when you look at it on paper, shouldnt have any trouble topping our pool & looks like we should avoid the Blitz boks till the final finger crossed

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Enjoyed the opening Poland vs Ireland women sevens match. Poland unlucky to lose at the death proving victory over Canada no fluke last week. Did not know Poland even played sevens rugby but they have been the surprise packet as was great game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gee Kenya have fallen off a cliff. In say saying that we were sharp. Make sure you see the set piece try by Longbottom. Delightful. Toole, Hutchison and Roache the standouts again.

The women had two easy ones but will have to improve a lot v France. We looked particularly shabby early v Spain.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Men win 42-0 against Kenya and apparently were brilliant but could not find it on YouTube recording as it seems to start after early mens matches.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Related to the World Series. There's some speculation that WR (World Rugby) are looking to revamp the series with a turn to looking at more regional structures and less overall WS events. No idea on how many of each. But if they moved to say 4-6 regionally based events and then 6 WS events what that drive interest more or less?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think it’s more than that too. It’s like a 3-4 hour tv packaged event. Not sure the detail but they’ve been kicking around ideas for a little bit now.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think it’s more than that too. It’s like a 3-4 hour tv packaged event. Not sure the detail but they’ve been kicking around ideas for a little bit now.

Yeah. That's been mentioned. I understand the idea of trying to create a more commercially attractive model in terms of the shorter timeframe. My question is whether it will lead to a more or less inclusive structures. If it involves more nations both men's and women's then I would at least be willing to give it a go. But if it narrows focus. Not so much.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gee Kenya have fallen off a cliff. In say saying that we were sharp. Make sure you see the set piece try by Longbottom. Delightful. Toole, Hutchison and Roache the standouts again.

Without the ball, Kenya can't play their power game on attack - however they're also lacking a bit of cohesion in their defensive structures. I don't think they are quite hitting the balance between size and pace. A couple of those tries we just waited them out with the kind of patience we lack against the Roidboks.

Agreed that try with Longbottom off the scrum, using two players to trail into the sweep, was superb.

Status
Not open for further replies.