• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If they want to time things perfectly, you think something is announced on Friday. RA powerbrokers should be there for the Wallaroos match. Would be the sweetest timing.

I admire your optimism but zero chance. Have seen practically no promotion for the Wallaroos test whatsoever. Almost hush hush.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I admire your optimism but zero chance. Have seen practically no promotion for the Wallaroos test whatsoever. Almost hush hush.

Yeh, that's really weird. I've only seen a few FB posts, but I wouldn't call it mass advertising.
Do we need to refill the grain silo and water boddle in te Marketing Pidegon's cage?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
When's the next deadline or announcement? Who are we waiting on?
The consortium had to pay the initial payment within 7 days, for all of the employee entitlements which were outstanding, so that should have happened.

If after 30 days RA hasn't handed over the licence, they commence their legal proceedings.
If no progress after 60 days (either Super Rugby participation, or ATO DPNs) the directors could walk away - or they can choose to extend the date.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
The consortium had to pay the initial payment within 7 days, for all of the employee entitlements which were outstanding, so that should have happened.

If after 30 days RA hasn't handed over the licence, they commence their legal proceedings.
If no progress after 60 days (either Super Rugby participation, or ATO DPNs) the directors could walk away - or they can choose to extend the date.

Probably one of the big lingering issues is squad retention. Obviously, these are very uncertain times for players and they want to solve them.

If they are keen to stay in Melbourne but are still waiting for the consortium deal to land, can they sign an agreement to register their intent to sign to whatever consortium (company) will take on the rebels' licence, i.e., a MoU? Could this break existing agreements with RA, or does it simply just piss them off?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Probably one of the big lingering issues is squad retention. Obviously, these are very uncertain times for players and they want to solve them.

If they are keen to stay in Melbourne but are still waiting for the consortium deal to land, can they sign an agreement to register their intent to sign to whatever consortium (company) will take on the rebels' licence, i.e., a MoU? Could this break existing agreements with RA, or does it simply just piss them off?
Players can sign whatever they want with them if they want to., Under the CBA, all pro contracts are a tri-party deal with RA+Super Rugby side and the player, so unless RA signs off on it too it doesn't really mean anything

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Difficult circumstances all about.

I'm fully anticipating a reasonably budget side in 2025, probably 2026 as well, if we do continue at Tarneit. A number of external seniors will stay, at least initially, but it will be locals, budget players and youth players filling out the bulk of the squad, partially due to location, partially due to the financial stuff up itself, and partially due to how late the signings could potentially start.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Players can sign whatever they want with them if they want to., Under the CBA, all pro contracts are a tri-party deal with RA+Super Rugby side and the player, so unless RA signs off on it too it doesn't really mean anything

Yep, that's what I was thinking; all agreements go through RA for approval. My thinking around MoU / LoA was more the intent to stay if the team stuck around. It is more of a flag to Big Daddy RA that we want to stay here. Could also be achieved through a collectively signed open letter fro the players to RA,

The symbolism at this point can be very powerful.

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
According to Fissler Confidential Taniela Tupou may no longer be heading overseas:

"Melbourne Rebels tighthead Taniela Tupou’s move to Leinster was blocked and sources in France say that even though his name is doing the rounds, a move to Montpellier seems unlikely to happen anytime soon. "

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
According to Fissler Confidential Taniela Tupou may no longer be heading overseas:

"Melbourne Rebels tighthead Taniela Tupou’s move to Leinster was blocked and sources in France say that even though his name is doing the rounds, a move to Montpellier seems unlikely to happen anytime soon. "
I thought he was on a long term deal with us? Losing him would be a blow but nowhere near the blow it would have been in past years.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Wests Bulldogs?
Yes. A large number of rebels players are registered with Wests, partially as part of the cohesion strategy/time in saddle together nonsense that everyone is buying too much into, partially because of the three interrupted Dewar Shield seasons creating lack of gametime opportunities down here over the COVID seasons, and partially because of the vast improvement in quality (both players and pitches) between the VIC club competition and QLD club.

A lot of those players are queenslanders that were there before, others are Vics or other players with no established connections up on the coast.

Far from universal: Ripley and Canham are clearly both linked in with Bond, developing guys like Joey Fowler stay in Sydney for Uni etc. but it's a clear joint inititative.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)

I think this is unsurprising. With the Rebels shit dragging well on, and the struggles with keeping quality front rowers fit, RA wouldn't want Tupou playing in France if they planned to have him still playing Tests, and Leinster need to make decisions for 24-25 now, and won't have the chance to wait for a free hit rather than pay (what I presume may be not insubstantial) buyout RA may require.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Yes. A large number of rebels players are registered with Wests, partially as part of the cohesion strategy/time in saddle together nonsense that everyone is buying too much into, partially because of the three interrupted Dewar Shield seasons creating lack of gametime opportunities down here over the COVID seasons, and partially because of the vast improvement in quality (both players and pitches) between the VIC club competition and QLD club.

A lot of those players are queenslanders that were there before, others are Vics or other players with no established connections up on the coast.

Far from universal: Ripley and Canham are clearly both linked in with Bond, developing guys like Joey Fowler stay in Sydney for Uni etc. but it's a clear joint inititative.
"Cohesion strategy / time in saddle together nonsense ..."

Aka TWI - Team Work Index.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think this is unsurprising. With the Rebels shit dragging well on, and the struggles with keeping quality front rowers fit, RA wouldn't want Tupou playing in France if they planned to have him still playing Tests, and Leinster need to make decisions for 24-25 now, and won't have the chance to wait for a free hit rather than pay (what I presume may be not insubstantial) buyout RA may require.
Leinster signed Jordy B for a season, if they went ahead and sign Tupou the IRFU would be roasted, they denied Munster signing a foreign lose head to. So they can't really allow a tight head to sign on those grounds alone.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Rugby Wrap chat with Daniel Bredenkamp of Pitcher Partners re Melbourne Rebels financials & Fergus Lee Warner.

Daniel Bredenkamp mentions player payments of 2021 - $7.4M; 2022 - $7.5M; 2023 - $7.2M.
I wonder hat it was in 2024 which includes Taniela Tupou?

Hard to understand these levels of payment when the salary cap is about $5M (salaries of $4.5M + other misc payments of $0.5M).

Difficult to envisage Wallaby top-ups for the Rebels player group of $2.2M - $2.5M per year.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The Rugby Wrap chat with Daniel Bredenkamp of Pitcher Partners re Melbourne Rebels financials & Fergus Lee Warner.

Daniel Bredenkamp mentions player payments of 2021 - $7.4M; 2022 - $7.5M; 2023 - $7.2M.
I wonder hat it was in 2024 which includes Taniela Tupou?

Hard to understand these levels of payment when the salary cap is about $5M (salaries of $4.5M + other misc payments of $0.5M).

Difficult to envisage Wallaby top-ups for the Rebels player group of $2.2M - $2.5M per year.
Maybe if it includes the Women's team, and top-ups for Wallabies plus match payments for Wallabies, Australia A, and any other national teams

5StarStu

Frank Row (1)
Been a while since I graced this forum - so long evidently that trying to reset my password for my prior account doesn't work. I suspect that tonight will be our last ever home game so I just wanted to send my thanks to all of my fellow travellers down this road for the last 14 years. We've been let down by almost every party possible over that time, save for the players, but the belief from the supporter group that one day this would work never wavered. I've met a lot of good people thanks to this team and I'm grateful for that.

Enjoy the next couple of weeks. I won't continue with this sport should the Rebels be shut down, but all the best to those that do.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Been a while since I graced this forum - so long evidently that trying to reset my password for my prior account doesn't work. I suspect that tonight will be our last ever home game so I just wanted to send my thanks to all of my fellow travellers down this road for the last 14 years. We've been let down by almost every party possible over that time, save for the players, but the belief from the supporter group that one day this would work never wavered. I've met a lot of good people thanks to this team and I'm grateful for that.

Enjoy the next couple of weeks. I won't continue with this sport should the Rebels be shut down, but all the best to those that do.
I’ll be done with rugby too. It’s sad

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
What would you guys do if this is all just the first step in a broader plan to replace Super Rugby with a domestic pro comp, largely centralised, in which Melbourne have a team, just one with a different name?

Top Bottom