• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Anyone at the game have any particular standouts for GPS? Seems like Moretti played very well judging by the CAS thread?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Anyone at the game have any particular standouts for GPS? Seems like Moretti played very well judging by the CAS thread?

You can hear the gloating from Waitara about the GPS schools

hey-gps-schools.jpg

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Score suggests a game of two halves
It certainly was and GPS 1s were terrible in both. The score was only close after a send off and to be quite frank some of the hype about big names and some for the second year running was not even close.

This idea that this one played NSW 1s or NSW 2s or some other reputation is ridiculous and how about looking at some results from last year (& this year) and see why sides in the GPS competition actually won the games they did? How about looking at who can tackle as well? That seems to be conveniently ignored.

So much for the combination theories! What a farce of a concept that is.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Anyone got any tips for tomorrow?
I think:

GPS v CAS 1sts will be very tight. But i wont sit on fence. 5 pt win to GPS.

GPS v CAS 2 should see GPS win by quite a few - say 20 points. GPS 2 backs look slick but forwards will dominate. That 2s pack wouldnt weigh much less than a Shute Shield side. I reckon a few will make NSW 1 or 2, or Combined States from this team.

GPS Blue v White should also be close. Like @ACS, i wouldn't be surprised if White win. By say 5 to 10 points. Good to see some lads from 2nd XV sides have been selected - Botha (3) from Scots and Everleigh (12) from Joeys, as well as 1 each from Grammar and TAS, in White team and reserves.

There are two from TAS, I think

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
From experience, the only external coaches at Joeys are old boys and some parents. The old boys are paid a pittance and the parents do it for free. Even the new Headmaster has carried on the long tradition of taking a team (13G's) This really deters parents from having a go at the coaches as they know the Joeys head is one of the them to.

Can anyone tell me what sports teams have these Headmasters, Lambert (Scots), Wright (Shore), Mulford (Newington), Hine (Riverview), Hawkes (Kings), Vallance (Grammar) and Jaggar (High) coached?

Dr Wright coached the 13As at All Saints in 2002.My 13As at St.Paul's Grammar played his team and won 24-15 in a close game. At this stage he had only been just appointed Headmaster at Shore.David Mulford I heard was a selector for the Australian school boys. But I cannot confirm this, but if true he probably has a very strong background in coaching. I suspect the others also have Rugby coaching backgrounds, if only with lower teams. As most have taught at other Independent Schools before they became Headmasters.

rollin_maul

Peter Burge (5)
If i had to pick one team of 15 to go on to the next level from GPS and CAS 1s and 2s today, it would be as follows. While some have been picked in positions they didnt play today, they are positions they have played before well.

1 Bell - GPS 1
2 Pollard - CAS 1
3 McLennan - GPS 1
4 Dring - CAS 1
5 Williams - GPS 1
6 Harris - GPS 1
7 Reimer - CAS 1
8 Morretti - CAS 1
9 Tejcek - CAS 1
10 Edmed - CAS 1
11 Bryden - CAS 1
12 Minogue - GPS 2
13 Ilias - CAS 1
14 Tricks - GPS 2
15 Connolly - GPS 2

No doubt many will disagree. But regardless I think alk 15 will be heading to Riverview for Nationals.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I think that’s unfair. Whilst it might have been more measured to bring him through say Blue v White, the lad did not let his team down and looked dangerous a couple of times with limited opportunities. Based on today’s performance, I would question whether other, more illustrious names deserved selection before querying his.

Reactions: WLF

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
It certainly was and GPS 1s were terrible in both. The score was only close after a send off and to be quite frank some of the hype about big names and some for the second year running was not even close.

This idea that this one played NSW 1s or NSW 2s or some other reputation is ridiculous and how about looking at some results from last year (& this year) and see why sides in the GPS competition actually won the games they did? How about looking at who can tackle as well? That seems to be conveniently ignored.

So much for the combination theories! What a farce of a concept that is.

I agree from a GPS point of view about combination theories BUT the Barker combos were great today.
It depends on the boys abilities, and again, it worked a treat last year for the CAS.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
If i had to pick one team of 15 to go on to the next level from GPS and CAS 1s and 2s today, it would be as follows. While some have been picked in positions they didnt play today, they are positions they have played before well.

1 Bell - GPS 1
2 Pollard - CAS 1
3 McLennan - GPS 1
4 Dring - CAS 1
5 Williams - GPS 1
6 Harris - GPS 1
7 Reimer - CAS 1
8 Morretti - CAS 1
9 Tejcek - CAS 1
10 Edmed - CAS 1
11 Bryden - CAS 1
12 Minogue - GPS 2
13 Ilias - CAS 1
14 Tricks - GPS 2
15 Connolly - GPS 2

No doubt many will disagree. But regardless I think alk 15 will be heading to Riverview for Nationals.

Sorry, on today's performance, CAS no.6 Connor Molloy won the breakdown, he was everywhere and tackled everything that moved, a major reason why CAS dominated the first 60 minutes, we shouldn't try to squeeze people in if they were outplayed today. Having said that, there will definitely be many more opportunities, but a TODAYS team, would have to include Connor Molloy, all three CAS back rowers clearly won the day.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
I agree from a GPS point of view about combination theories BUT the Barker combos were great today.
It depends on the boys abilities, and again, it worked a treat last year for the CAS.
Ok but again they just might be the best. Apparently Joeys have no combinations and can't get a look in (last 2 years).

Have my Joeys goggles on of course!

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Ok but again they just might be the best. Apparently Joeys have no combinations and can't get a look in (last 2 years).

Have my Joeys goggles on of course!

I am sure you are right, it does depend on the players, some combos work/some don't.
I think your boys, some of whom I thought were terrific today, will shine at the National comp!
;)

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
From experience, the only external coaches at Joeys are old boys and some parents. The old boys are paid a pittance and the parents do it for free.

You do know St Joseph's had an operating surplus of more than $10 million over the 2 years in its most recent reporting, so they are not short of a dollar to pay coaches.