• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2018

DarkSide

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interesting comment

Maybe

But I wouldn’t underestimate the power of good Coaching and management to bridge the gap , and , guys that may not have the physical presence or reputation but are lion hearted in what they do and genuinely want to compete and accomplish something together...

Combine these 2 X factors - and get it right - and it’s good enough to take down anybody on the day

Every GPS school has a good coach, and if we’re talking NC v TSS then yeah it’s going to come down to tactics, strategy, man management. But for everyone else, the schools just don’t have the cattle to compete. God could have been coaching BSHS, it would not have helped so far this season.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I thought God was Coaching BSHS ??

Jokes aside .....I am very impressed with what BGS is doing

I reckon if one true X Factor / finisher was still there like Hamiso Fidow Tabui - then the table would look very different

Put a closer like that with these guys and look out

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
Every GPS school has a good coach, and if we’re talking NC v TSS then yeah it’s going to come down to tactics, strategy, man management. But for everyone else, the schools just don’t have the cattle to compete. God could have been coaching BSHS, it would not have helped so far this season.

The sad reality is that TSS and Nudgee are gaming the rules with their Grades 11-12 over three years rubbish, scholar-shipping contracted rugby league players. It's not a level playing field anymore and sadly it will end up as dysfunctional as the Sydney GPS.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Agree 100%, and from what i saw on the weekend, the TGS issues that lead to the blowout were absolutely able to be coached away. Dan54 the reason a lot of those TGS took the ball into contact was mainly due to the defensive line speed of TSS and the ball speed of TGS. They had no other choice but to take the contact as it was on them before they were aware. TSS execution of their intended game plan was first class.

Yep Blanco, I certainly wasn't knocking TGS, as I was pretty impressed with them, their 2nd rowers were certainly of a very good quality, their hooker certainly knew how to split open the defense, but you right the TSS defense speed was real quick. I also felt a little for the back 3 they were pretty small, though their 15 certainly a good boy, and their number 11 suffered a bit from not enough straight running further in field, he was getting too many balls with defense being able to come at him from inside.

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
Was at TSS yesterday, and as a newbie to watching GPS rugby I was again stunned by the level of play that TSS get too, geez they well coached. TGS I thought stuck to it, but had run out of legs just after halftime. One of the big differences between the 2 teams styles I thought was TGS looked like they had a lot of boys that had played league and took the ball into contact too often, where as the couple of times I have seen TSS, they are masters of using the ball to do the work! The performance of Parata at 10 was so bloody mature, he spread the ball wide early on and in 2nd half when TGS were starting to tire he just rammed it home by kicking for the corners etc. I like the look of most of TSS players, No8 certainly got the goods, and have to say was a little impressed with the boy at 13!
Mate said as we left probably best idea I have had this year was to follow GPS rugby, as I think what wee have seen so far is probably most enjoyable rugby we have seen in Qld!
Dan, would be highly surprised if TGS recruits were largely from League backgrounds particularly as you make this claim from observing that TGS ran the ball into contact repeatedly??? WTF? Have you seen Super Rugby or any Rugby for that matter lately? It happens every minute.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep you could be right Les and maybe it is coaching and what they have seen at super level here. But really was something that stood out during game to me.

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
Dan, would be highly surprised if TGS recruits were largely from League backgrounds particularly as you make this claim from observing that TGS ran the ball into contact repeatedly??? WTF? Have you seen Super Rugby or any Rugby for that matter lately? It happens every minute.

Both TGS centers are from league with one been in his 3rd year of union and the other in his second. I doubt they were also playing their first choice wingers as well with both the boys that played hardly sighted during the trials. The two they seemed to favor during the trials are both injured, both have very strong defensive games and seemed to have a better combination with the fullback so this may have been the difference. TGS were right in the game up until about 5 to 10 minutes into the second half then just lost it. Full marks to TSS though to identify cinch in the amour of TGS and to exploit it with a smart kicking game and a try route with most of the tries been scored down the outside edges.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Premiership contenders V3

Engrave the Trophy
IGS 13A & BBC 16 A

On a Roll
BSHS 14 A-who can stop them ?

The Bradbury award

15 A - of the contenders only BBC are undefeated- but will not remain that way

Is it a coincidence?
in the 1st xv and 2nd x -the same 3 schools are undefeated-TSS/NC/BBC
Me thinks not.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
The sad reality is that TSS and Nudgee are gaming the rules with their Grades 11-12 over three years rubbish, scholar-shipping contracted rugby league players. It's not a level playing field anymore and sadly it will end up as dysfunctional as the Sydney GPS.

Have to admit you are right--who has the most 18 year olds in 1st xv-TSS by a long way -then NC.
Same as last year.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
^ You sure about that Blue ?

TSS yes but Nudgee ? Really ?

And I’d put an asterix on the BBC 16A’s too . They should ....but it is no sure thing after a narrow escape v Downlands on the weekend

10-7 on the final play of the game and try to BBC for a hard fought 15-7 win

The Downlands boys were very impressive and played tough , committed Rugby

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Have to admit you are right--who has the most 18 year olds in 1st xv-TSS by a long way -then NC.
Same as last year.

I don't have TSS' ages, but NC is certainly immune to this criticism in 2018.

Bailey Tautau and Jangala Bennet are the only 18 year olds in the team. There are five guys 16-or-under (including a 15 year old), and the rest are 17.

Tune in next year and we'll see if the balance has tipped to 18-year-olds, but it sure ain't this year.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Well we're approaching the half way mark of the season between now and into next week given that the Ekka is about to win town

It's sort of interesting looking back at the sentiment and some of the statements from over the Summer through to Easter time

Probably the most noteworthy was the expectation in Terrace's performance given some initial indignation at their position at 4th to 5th on the first issue of The Owen's Book , and the reasoning for this was because of the high level of prior representation from U16 Representative Rugby

As it stands heading into the mid point of the season is that Terrace look like they could be fighting TGS for 4th to 5th spot in the last round , if , and assuming , BBC manage to defeat IGS away ( this week ) and TGS at home in 3 weeks.

For now ......it sort of looks like ( and projection in bold from November last year )

1. TSS ( TSS )
2. NC ( NC )
3. BBC ( BBC )
4.TGS ( TGS )
5. GT ( GT )
6. ACGS ( ACGS )
7. IGS ( BGS )
8. BGS ( IGS )
9. BSHS ( BSHS )

The last round is highly likely set up ( accidentally of course ) to determine 1 through 3 and 4 through 6 with the critical match ups being

NC v TSS at Ross Oval
TGS v GT at TGS Main Oval

For now you would safely assume the Top 3 to be in the order they are , however , BBC are right in the mix to challenge NC at Miskin Oval in Round 7 - and if they were to get up , and NC roll TSS on Ross Oval ( not beyond the realms of impossibility ) you could end up with a 3 way shared Premiership

Also of interest several months ago when there was a lot of early chat about the bonafides of prior Representative honours and this guy that guy etc ( principally used as a justification as to why Terrace deserved to be ranked higher ) ................... a sub discussion as to the prospects of outside backs in the competition was entered into and it was dared to be uttered that a few U16 outside backs might have something to say about the claims of others as to who is who in the zoo

The 3 x U16 names mentioned were Grant Tuisamoa, Tresman Banjo and Xavier Savage - several months later - and after the first few rounds the latter two are probably two of the hottest names in GPS Rugby at the moment ( as U16 players ) with GT representing QLD 2 off the bench down at Nationals

As we approach the half way mark to the season over the course of the next week - jump in with a look back to now , or , jump in with your tips for how you see the rest of the season unfolding

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
King

Isn't it more "like for like" when comparing ages etc to define players not when or what part of the year they are born in , but rather , as to whether they are genuinely

U16 ( rookie Opens players )
U17 ( regular Opens players )
U18 ( veteran Opens players )

And in Nudgee's case - notwithstanding recent injuries etc - their preferred starting 15 would have only had 2 x U16 players - and yes I understand 1 or 2 more may have come into the mix now because of injury

I guess what I am suggesting is that their U16 Team would seem to be pretty much in tact bar maybe 2 players ??

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
GO ,

Don't think many games this year are sure things, other than TSS playing anyone but NC at Ross.

Think spots 3 through to 7 could still go anyway.

Agree with you that TGS will be a tough test for GT at home on the range and you could be right on the money with what spot they are playing off for in that game.

Likewise think both TGS and Churchie will test BBC , just as BGS did, particularly if you have them straight after NC or TSS. Bit hard to pick BBC's form with two games played , GT were well below par in round 1 and sounds like BBC were in round 2 . Still a lot of footy left in the season, we will see both individual and team form ebb and flow, guess it's all about how you handle the lows. Three way shared premiership a long way off.

Good luck to all!

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
We’re close in our views Nomad - more than what you may know or care to admit

4 to 6 is the crapshoot with TGS ( IMO ) holding advantage

Will now better next week at the true midpoint of the season but I just don’t see BBC losing to TGS at home

Personally I don’t think GT were out of form in Rd 1 - that was pretty much the best shot and they didn’t get it done . Granted , you missed Mulcahy but would he really have made a difference ?? ( no disrespect ) - I doubt it

We’ve already established Condon’s no try that directly led to a 14 point swing in GT’s favour that never would have occurred if the correct decision was made ( given that GT went over again on the ensuing kick off )

20-24 point difference on the adjustment is about right which was probably the true form margin in what occurred between NC and GT

BBC haven’t earned the right yet to be equal or beyond NC and TSS but it’s probably fair to say they’ve earned the right to seperate themselves from the rest of the field below TSS and NC

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I might add Nomad .....Churchie were not really a test for BBC in the final trial before Rd 1 kicked off despite both teams being without their Open State Reps and U16 SOG reps . Add them both back and the gulf widens . By a bit

Funnily enough the only team that BBC struggled with and didn't put in a great showing with during the preseason was BSHS at Wests on Friday Night in the last game of Term 2 .

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
On all the neck injuries i have heard that all the GPS principals are meeting soon to discuss why they could be happening

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well the Nudgee one from what I read was just a freak accident. No relation to the other ones. Were the other 3 all scrums???

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Oh right. My concern is, since a review has been announced, people will expect an outcome. And i can't see any outcome which would reduce the risk apart from banning contact or scrums (the latter of which would only have prevented one injury by Reg's comment above).

I'm all for making the sport safer - but given the apparent lack of trend in incidents, how can anything be done? I saw comments on online news sites talking about weight limits - but has that been a factor in any of the incidents?
I hope cool heads assess this. The sport is no more dangerous than it was 5 years ago - there has just been a freak collection of horrible incidents.