• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Meh, Thorn won all his accolades by being a giant hard ass enforcer.

Hardly the requisite skillset for coaching or player development.

Meakes best chance of making the Wallabies is to win Super Rugby this year with the Rebels.

Can't tell how much you're fishing here but still, what does being a giant hard ass fuckin thug have to do with his knowledge and credentials as a coach?

I would imagine playing in some pretty special teams such as the All Blacks, Queensland state of Origin and Wayne Bennett coached Bronco's would have left a bit of an impression him, just maybe he picked up a few bits and pieces of knowledge from some of the blokes he was around? Not trying to say he is some revolutionary super coach but I'd listen pretty intently to a bloke with his credentials, hell I'd listen to the water boy who was in the same room as him during years with those teams.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Lots of doom and gloom, of which I am happy to share but still...

8 wins probably makes the finals. So that means 6 more to go. And it's a pretty good draw
No much chance from the away games (Bulls, Sharks, Rebels, Chiefs, Brumbies). The aim would be to pinch on of the last two on current form

But I think the aim would still be to win all remaining games at home (Stormers, Sunwolves, Tahs, Jags, Blues). Doable, if this team is actually any good

That would mean 8 from 16 and a trip to the finals. At least with my maroon coloured glasses on.
The way I feel you got one of those wins, the Brumbies are horrible at the moment.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Can't tell how much you're fishing here but still, what does being a giant hard ass fuckin thug have to do with his knowledge and credentials as a coach?

I would imagine playing in some pretty special teams such as the All Blacks, Queensland state of Origin and Wayne Bennett coached Bronco's would have left a bit of an impression him, just maybe he picked up a few bits and pieces of knowledge from some of the blokes he was around? Not trying to say he is some revolutionary super coach but I'd listen pretty intently to a bloke with his credentials, hell I'd listen to the water boy who was in the same room as him during years with those teams.
Meakes came back under Dave Wessels followed him to Melbourne, and is playing in the best Australian team, why / who would leave that to go to the Reds atm, probably the worst roaster out of every team.. other then money I dont see any upsides ?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
If they/he keeps performing he wont. Plus To'omua will not be finals eligible (i think).
Thinking next year .. must be tough to know T bomb's coming in and probably in your position. I wouldnt drop him, but they are paying alot for To'omua..

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Wow that’s lame dude.

Players and coaches come and go.being a fan if your team is for life.

But saying you went to support an opponent a conference rival over a disagreement about how the coach strategy of building a team.

Why not just boycott the reds with your wallet rather then support a rival?

I want the Reds to win the whole competition as I always do as a fan, but realise that they will lose games along the way.

If they have to lose then what is wrong with having a preference for what team will beat us?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I want the Reds to win the whole competition as I always do as a fan, but realise that they will lose games along the way.

If they have to lose then what is wrong with having a preference for what team will beat us?

Nothing. Plenty of Reds fans who at best are dilettantes at the moment. Hmm, and for many years.

B

Bobby Sands

Maybe Len Ikitau or Andy Muirhead would want to come home too?

Len Ikitau & Noah Lolesio should absolutely be targets for the Reds to bring home, along with Angus Cottrell & Brad Wilkin.

Not that I discount how impressive our young backrow stocks are, but Higgers this year has shown the benefit of hardened backrowers as opposed to greenhorns.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Brad Thorn may be a polarising factor with the current playing group, but as a prospective new signing I think there is massive amounts of appeal in terms of how you could develop physically as a player.

He is arguably the most decorated footy player (both codes) to play the game, clearly knows how to run a gym program and is building a team of strong coaches around him. If you considered yourself a fringe Wallaby and needed just a few steps forward to reach your potential, I think playing under Thorn, Ryan, Alred etc. is a decent place to start to up-skill.

Thats a long winded way of saying if Meakes (or any player for that matter) was serious about playing for the Wallabies one day I think you'd ignore the biased Thorn mail and give it a go.

I don't get this line of thinking. Yes, he was an incredibly successful player. Yes, he busted his ass in the gym. Does he know how to run a gym program? He doesn't do it for the Reds. I don't see the appeal of him for a player. You take a risk that he won't like you and then won't play you.

The only players that I can see developing under him are Roda and Hockings. They are essentially just newer versions of Thorn.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't get this line of thinking. Yes, he was an incredibly successful player. Yes, he busted his ass in the gym. Does he know how to run a gym program? He doesn't do it for the Reds. I don't see the appeal of him for a player. You take a risk that he won't like you and then won't play you.

The only players that I can see developing under him are Roda and Hockings. They are essentially just newer versions of Thorn.
I think Kerevi's development over recent years as been incredible, skill-wise. Does Thorn take credit for that?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I think Kerevi's development over recent years as been incredible, skill-wise. Does Thorn take credit for that?

Yeah, I agree Reg and Tate as well. There are quite a few that have been stepping up this year (in patches at least). We are just not consistent. The Rebs are full of seasoned blokes in their mid 20's to early 30's. They play to their system and we got schooled on being professional and not playing to our game, the Saders did the same thing to us.

We have had a young team for ever it feels like. I get sick of the "we'll be good when the boys age a bit" because blokes move on and we always have a young team.

I want to just stick with the bulk of this team and build some consistency, I am sure they got it in them.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Jets has a point though.

The Smiths, Tupou, arguably BPA - are all down on last year.
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) seems less effective too, but has his workload increased?
Wright and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) are playing decently without dominating
Sorovi and McDermott are at what you'd expect wouldn't you?
blah blah blah. I can't a lot of personal improvement. Perhaps they are fitter or stronger than they've been. We've probably seen evidence of that, but only really in patches.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) seems less effective too, but has his workload increased?
blah blah blah. I can't a lot of personal improvement. Perhaps they are fitter or stronger than they've been. We've probably seen evidence of that, but only really in patches.

I know they are not saying youth anymore but the reality is they are. The problem is the reds are not bringing the fans along for the journey. Once they bring the gap between the worst and best performance closer together they will be fine. Frankly they were just schooled by a more mature team on the weekend. Still getting rid of QC (Quade Cooper) and Slipper was still the most boneheaded thing they have every done.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

Yeah that's kind of what I'm saying. I would say Kerevi is a big improver too, that may well be Thorn's doing, his kicking game would be all down to the Reds though.

A lot of these young guys are doing what they did in lower levels of rugby, at a higher level now.

B

Bobby Sands

Meakes came back under Dave Wessels followed him to Melbourne, and is playing in the best Australian team, why / who would leave that to go to the Reds atm, probably the worst roaster out of every team.. other then money I dont see any upsides ?

Matt To'omua.

In fact they can keep Bill, let’s bring the lad home & give Matt the red carpet he never got.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wow that’s lame dude.

Players and coaches come and go.being a fan if your team is for life.

But saying you went to support an opponent a conference rival over a disagreement about how the coach strategy of building a team.

Why not just boycott the reds with your wallet rather then support a rival?

I don’t want to boycott the Reds. I support them and still watch every game. I went as a Rebels supporter because I think Quade did a lot for QLD rugby, taking endless shit from people the whole time (some deserved), and was extremely loyal. His 100 plus games weren’t even rewarded with a “thanks, see you later”. So for this one particular game, being as it may be the last time I was able to see him play at Suncorp, I supported him and his team. This weekend I’ll wear my Reds hat. I just wanted to see Brad Thorn with egg on his face and I did, and it was joyous.

All that aside, Brad Thorn is from a country where rugby barely has to market itself. And he throws away a cash-strapped team’s best marketing asset because his sideburns are too long (or whatever).