• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D - Wallabies vs Wales - Sunday 29 September 2019 @ 5.45pm

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yep was thinking the same ie Wales are a a World Cup winning side. Neither is Australia of course.

For me still very much the final will be 2 of nz, South Africa and England

I think the heat will be a big factor, someone like France could pull one out of the bag against Ireland, Wales or England.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Aside from Foley, I don't feel the selections cost us, and we have a selection panel now. Tactics seemed fine, we were dominating Wales all around the ground--see DP's post. A couple of years ago our setpiece was absolute junk, we just dominated the Welsh completely in lineout and scrums, seems to be some improvement to me.

Now, I think the Wallabies are ready for a change of coach post WC but I don't think this was the game where I thought, man we need a change of coach it's just not working.

I don’t think our lineout went as well as some suggest, defensively it was strong... but in terms of an attacking platform it was poor, Wallabies threw to 2 or 4 all game and never went long, Wales were able to go long. Wallabies often ran 4 man lineouts, which mitigates the liability of having less primary jumpers in the pack, but means more defenders in the backline.

Best platform for a backline to attack from is from a 7 man lineout with the ball going to the pod at the back, it’s the closest pod to the flyhalf and means no forwards defending in the opposition backline. Wallabies never went long.

Worst attacking platform but safest option is a 2 ball on a short lineout, it means longer passes from the halfback to 5/8 presenting an intercept risk, and allows the forwards at the back of the lineout to move up on the flyhalf and inside channel. Wallabies played this all game.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I don’t think our lineout went as well as some suggest, defensively it was strong. but in terms of an attacking platform it was poor, Wallabies threw to 2 or 4 all game and never went long, Wales were able to go long. Wallabies often ran 4 man lineouts, which mitigates the liability of having less primary jumpers in the pack, but means more defenders in the backline.

Best platform for a backline to attack from is from a 7 man lineout with the ball going to the pod at the back, it’s the closest pod to the flyhalf and means no forwards defending in the opposition backline. Wallabies never went long.

Worst attacking platform but safest option is a 2 ball on a short lineout, it means longer passes from the halfback to 5/8 presenting an intercept risk, and allows the forwards at the back of the lineout to move up on the flyhalf and inside channel. Wallabies played this all game.

That's true, and I agree with your comments midweek about wanting another jumper. I'm comparing it to when we couldn't win our ball at all in 2016, from which it has improved exponentially.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well that was disappointing.

Wales imo did not in any way deserve that game. BUT they had to be in it to win it. Which they were.

And the Welsh won, well done guys.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
As a Reds fan, I have watched alot of Kerevi and I think he has plenty of rough edges. His ball carrying is world class, but he so often doesn't pass when he should, doesn't position himself well in support and when isolated doesn't have the ruck craft to "push the egg" out the back (make sure we don't lose it). When he had the ball ripped out of his hands I was pulling my hair out.

Hes a superstar and one of the first players picked, but I think his strengths sometime patch over his deficiencies.

He is a little Israel Folou-esk at times, where he does some things so well you do forget to notice the elements of his game that are lacking.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Wales imo did not in any way deserve that game. BUT they had to be in it to win it. Which they were.

Wales play an absolute tire of a game exemplifies by their 20 second drop goal.

But that's rugby now, and why no watches it.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

This is typical NH rugby, stay in it, tick off point on the scoreboard, win territory by winning the kicking game, take drop goals on offer, really only take a risk unless they have advantage.

And I agree Wales probably didn't deserve it. But a team that is even better at this style of rugby is England, we will need to lift for 80minutes to beat them.

Reactions: dru

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
He is a little Israel Folou-esk at times, where he does some things so well you do forget to notice the elements of his game that are lacking.

I think he's almost too good at running the ball. He always beats the first man, always, he had 150 run metres against what some reckon is the best defensive outfit in the world in Wales. If he wasn't so effective he might actually think about throwing the pass when he should. Maybe, when he's in Japan and he's not trying to be a one man band for the Reds he'll learn.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Aside from Foley, I don't feel the selections cost us, and we have a selection panel now. Tactics seemed fine, we were dominating Wales all around the ground--see DP's post. A couple of years ago our setpiece was absolute junk, we just dominated the Welsh completely in lineout and scrums, seems to be some improvement to me.

Now, I think the Wallabies are ready for a change of coach post WC but I don't think this was the game where I thought, man we need a change of coach it's just not working.

I agree. There were some real individual mistakes in the first half which I doubt had anything to do with coaching or the game plan. The Foley selection obviously turned out to be a mistake but he really did have a shocker in much the same way DHP did in that SA test earlier this year. I think you can only say it was a big mistake in hindsight, doubt anyone thought he'd be so off his game.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
sp0kPyO.jpg

I unfortunately can't pause it any closer to when Will just moved the ball. But, most Ref's would say that the ball is only now just being capable of being shat on by a bird, so it's in play.

Davis is a clear metre in front of everyone else, plus the last feet......

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
sp0kPyO.jpg

I unfortunately can't pause it any closer to when Will just moved the ball. But, most Ref's would say that the ball is only now just being capable of being shat on by a bird, so it's in play.

Davis is a clear metre in front of everyone else, plus the last feet..
Offside every day of week

Bobas

Darby Loudon (17)
sp0kPyO.jpg

Davis is a clear metre in front of everyone else, plus the last feet..
I caught the same angle with the PVR, I referee and I can't call it from this screen cap.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The Foley selection obviously turned out to be a mistake

Why?

He had some shit kicks, does that kill a 10 performance? Generally his performance was on par with the rest of the starting crew, I can't hold him responsible on his own.

I did definitely like both White and To'omua.

Not the same thing though.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I thought Hooper had a cracking game and captained the side well. I doubt Richie McCall could have turned that ref around... Not sure about the make up of our back row.. Did Pocock get a turn over at the breakdown??

Reactions: dru