• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I supported Raelene up until this point, but this is just an appalling result.

That blokes makes my stomach turn - glad to see the back of him.
Given the insurance policy didnt cover legal fees - presumably any settlement now that is less than 10 mil is the best financial outcome possible for RA.

Granted - it grinds that Folau gets a cent.

S

Show-n-go

So does he have any playing options now? No to Aussie union/league and seemingly no to euro rugby

I think his best bets are

Japanese rugby - homosexuality is still a tad taboo in Japan so he may get lucky

American domestic league - the yanks love freedom of speech and devout Christianity

English Super League - Haven’t heard them say no?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think that's probably about enough with the freedom of speech, religious freedom bill etc. This has been debated to death in the Folau thread in the past and never ends well. No one has changed anyone's mind whatsoever.

Feel free (at least for now) to continue discussing the statement from RA, appearances by the various parties in the media and the rumoured payout figures and potential future career options for Folau.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Listening to his statement, I got the impression he was going to hang up the boots and focus on preaching.

Who knows. I imagine he'd still get some outlandish amount wherever he ended up if he opted to come back, but as you say it doesn't look like it will be in Australia.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Listening to his statement, I got the impression he was going to hang up the boots and focus on preaching.

Who knows. I imagine he'd still get some outlandish amount wherever he ended up if he opted to come back, but as you say it doesn't look like it will be in Australia.
Those evangelists in the States absolutely rake it in. Might not be the worsr career move for him.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Some relevant quotes from and about Castle, as reported in today's Australian:
Raelene Castle has defended her role in the Israel Folau saga, arguing she didn’t get anything wrong as she claimed it was cheaper to settle his unfair dismissal case than go to trial.
She rejected calls for her resignation and said Rugby Australia “at every stage looked to .. ensure the very, very key value of inclusiveness stood up’’.
Castle said the settlement deal was a “commercial decision” that gives the national body certainty. She dismissed a reported settlement figure of $8 million as “wildly inaccurate” and said Rugby Australia won’t have to make changes to the budget or take money away from community rugby to pay Folau.
The Australian understands Rugby Australia has agreed to compensate Folau several million dollars under the terms of the settlement.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
From Janet Albrechtson in The Australian:
A source close to the litigation confirmed to The Australian it was a multimillion-dollar settlement

Janet makes a good case for Castle to resign.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The smart guess is they settled roughly his contract value, maybe a little less.

I don't think there are any winners here.

If anything, the only winners in some small part are us, the rugby public, who can forget this whole sorry saga ever happened.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From Janet Albrechtson in The Australian:
A source close to the litigation confirmed to The Australian it was a multimillion-dollar settlement

Janet makes a good case for Castle to resign.

Janet rarely makes a good case, and she doesn’t start here.........

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
The only dumb move here was resigning him. But they felt their hands were tied there too, because rugby is so poorly understood in Australia that he was seen to be crucial for Australia's success.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
He'll manage to stay in the public eye for a while yet. Undisclosed settlement will keep people busy for a while. Then any move he makes, whether it be preaching or footy contract chat, will be followed by the media like a hawk, and when he's not doing enough to maintain interest, they'll speculate. He's a cash cow for them at least for the near future.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
All posts not DIRECTLY about Izzy and the RA settlement will now be deleted and further comments banned. I know you can make an argument that those discussions are directly related to the topic, but those arguments and discussions can happen elsewhere.