• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
If you read Fitzy's piece, there's really nothing much behind the numbers.
"I have no inside knowledge of the terms, not even a hint, but my bet is it will be about $200,000 to $300,000."​

I get the distinct impression that Peter Fitzsimons only sees the world the way he wishes it to be, not the way it actually is, which is why he tends to be reliably wrong on pretty much every prediction he makes.

S

sidelineview

Are you 200 hundred years old or something? The pieces of the puzzle are falling into place.

Folau is now not reinstated, unemployed, unemployable, widely regarded as lower than shit, and didn't get his case law. Clearly, he won lol.

I thought he was vindicated wasn't he? and financially compensated. Of course its a victory.

What makes you think he's unemployable?

Widely regarded as courageous in some circles, but not in yours.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought he was vindicated wasn't he? and financially compensated. Of course its a victory.

He apologised to RA, who apologised to him. And he was likely paid the money owed to him by the contract he signed earlier this year.

I really don't see how that's a victory considering he has now lost his career in Australian rugby, his place in Wallaby history, and faces a far more difficult environment in which to find future work in the game.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
He's unemployable because his bushfire remarks have put everyone offside besides the extreme religious crazies.

Personally I applaud RAs handling of the matter. He's gone from the game and everyone else is on notice that they can't say literally anything in public without consequence.

I'd hope that any future CBA negotiations allow RA to enforce stringent public remark conditions. Don't like it? Find someone else to pay you silly money.to play rugby. Good luck with that.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
More newspaper speculation on the payout figure from the Tele.
While the amount of money has not been disclosed, it is understood that after 14 hours of mediation the payout is $8 million.
However, Rugby Australia is said to be privately saying the payout figure is only half what has been reported although it is unclear how much of the settlement would include the covering of Folau’s legal costs.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
News is throwing fuel on the fire because they are also after cheap TV rights. What a great business partner to have.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

He is largely unemployable because he is a loose cannon. His comments on the bushfires weren't exactly well regarded and anyone who hires him would have to be aware that he might come out with something which puts sponsors and fans offside.

I would view it as a high risk signing personally and given he hasn't already been snapped up, my view seems consistent with the market.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
The contract was $5.7M right? And already a bunch of that would have been paid before the saga. If they've paid out the remainder, roughly half of $8M is probably pretty close to the mark. Although it is still reading more like a guess than a leak.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
More newspaper speculation on the payout figure from the Tele.

While the amount of money has not been disclosed, it is understood that after 14 hours of mediation the payout is $8 million.

However, Rugby Australia is said to be privately saying the payout figure is only half what has been reported although it is unclear how much of the settlement would include the covering of Folau’s legal costs.

Why would Rugby Australia pay his legal costs? It was crowd funded to over $2 million.

S

sidelineview

He apologised to RA, who apologised to him. And he was likely paid the money owed to him by the contract he signed earlier this year.

I really don't see how that's a victory considering he has now lost his career in Australian rugby, his place in Wallaby history, and faces a far more difficult environment in which to find future work in the game.

You're not seeing the big picture, and he hasn't lost his place in Wallaby history, or any records and milestones he set in his rugby career.

The battle he and his supporters have won far surpasses any possible future achievements on the sporting field.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The battle he and his supporters have won far surpasses any possible future achievements on the sporting field.

What battle have they won, though? Nothing that happened here will prevent a similar scenario from happening in the future.

It may, MAY, help top-end sportspeople in future situations, but it means bugger all for everyone else.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)

Of course he didn't win. It was a mediated outcome. No winner in that. A bit like drawing against the All Blacks, so close, yet so far. A bit like kissing your own sister (...or brother, whatever floats your boat)

S

sidelineview

He's unemployable because his bushfire remarks have put everyone offside besides the extreme religious crazies.

Personally I applaud RAs handling of the matter. He's gone from the game and everyone else is on notice that they can't say literally anything in public without consequence.

I'd hope that any future CBA negotiations allow RA to enforce stringent public remark conditions. Don't like it? Find someone else to pay you silly money.to play rugby. Good luck with that.

And RA and other sporting bodies have been put on notice that they cant indiscriminately fire employees because of their public opinions and beliefs.

Appeasing sponsors doesn't always end well.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
All his supporters have won is the knowledge that if you are multi millionaire with a public profile that allows you to solicit 2m in donations, you can commence litigation with a confidential outcome.

How does this help a person of typical means if they cant afford to sue when they feel they've been discriminated against?

I dare say that anyone that donated because they thought this would end in a favourable legal precedent would feel someone taken for a ride right now.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And RA and other sporting bodies have been put on notice that they cant indiscriminately fire employees because of their public opinions and beliefs.

You really think that’s the outcome?

I’d say the AFl wouldn’t hesitate knowing that the worst outcome would be paying out a player for less than their contract.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)

They can and did fire him, though. Or did I miss the reinstatement announcement?

This will just mean the crazies are weeded out pre contract.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

No they haven't.

There is a long history of settlements in Australia of people being fired for social media posts. In almost all cases they get settled with Banerji going to court and the employer winning. Angela Williamson and Scott McIntyre both settled.

Hasn't stopped more people being fired for breaching the terms of their contract.