• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Rnd 2 2020 Lions v Reds @ Jo'burg - Sunday 12:05am AEDT

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I know numbers won't mean too much, but has James's distribution skills improved all that much to warrant him going to 10? I'd be completely happy with that team if they actually persisted with Stewart at 10.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
A bit more starch in the backline. Shouldn't be anyone getting through 10/12/13 channel. I'm interested to see how JOC (James O'Connor) goes at 10. He has great skill so should do alright, I wonder what his game management skills are like these days. I prefer him at 12 but maybe they think they need a bit more physicality at the start of the game by sliding Stewart in there.

Very worried about our bench front row, I havent seen the Lions team but assume they will have some big meat who can scrimmage. Happy with the rest of the bench. I'm keen to see the impact Lucas and Paisami can bring in the latter parts of the game.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think a lot of things fall in the Lions favour. Home game. Altitude. The Reds youthfulness. Lions game to lose.

How long does altitude fitness last? Lions have been in Argentina and that altitude fitness should really have been evident. It wasn't, they were listless. Now they are back at height recovering and i suspect that Reds got there to height a day in front of them.

The REDS youth is pretty much matched by the Lions, but the Reds I suspect have greater experience within that youth.

Lions have home advantage and even without altitude fitness necessarily an advantage home advantage still has things like kicking ans the way the rugby ball moves.

Reds should be targeting this game. Reds game to take. Let's do it boys.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If it is what is intended and that is a selection for on tour in Africa based on our opponents - then Wow, we are developing. How much input the broader coaching team?

Stewart, grab it buddy, it yours.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think O'Connor to 10 and Stewart starting is a good move, I think / suspect this move is showing how much we need to win this game. I think / hope Lucas (or someone else) is our long term 10 because O'Connor isn't anything more than a stop-gap. I'm intrigued that we've gone with O'Connor and not Hegarty as I see him as a more natural 10 (I've always wondered why O'Connor never played much 15).

Mug Punter

Ward Prentice (10)
The extra hooker joining the tour is Hugh Roach. Pretty disappointed they didn’t go with a local such as a Faessler to be honest. In saying that I like this week’s team better than the last one.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Thorn has shown so far he has no problems backing youth and/or guys out of the local club and throwing them into the fray if he thinks they’re up to it. However he already has 2 rookie props out there and a rookie hooker who have 1 super rugby caps between them. I think it’s a reasonable choice to take a guy like Roach as back up in the circumstances.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I fully expect even with Jaco Peyper reffing, that the Reds should still come away with a win, if not a bonus point win. Anything less isn't really good enough.

But to those saying Jaco isnt 'that bad' I think you really need to watch the string of South African home games last year in the lead into the finals. I think it was particularly bad for a Waratahs game was like 40-5 or something insane (I don't think that game was Jaco). If there is ever a SA first referee Jaco is the man to get it done. Our only saving grace is it's early in the season so isn't as much 'need' to get the win for South Africa.

Why we can't have neutral referees is beyond me! I don't mind if it's two local teams and they have a local referee, but at least make sure it's not a local referee when you have a overseas team. Although this wouldn't be an issue if the South African referees were somewhat competent and not completely biased.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Having not paid any attention to the Lions prior to now, I was pretty surprised to see Jannie du Plessis on the team sheet!

This is a very weak Lions side relative to recent years though.

15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Tyrone Green, 13 Duncan Matthews, 12 Dan Kriel, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Elton Jantjies (c), 9 Morne van den Berg, 8 Len Massyn, 7 Vincent Tshituka, 6 Marnus Schoeman, 5 Martin Orie, 4 Ruben Schoeman, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Pieter Jansen, 1 Dylan Smith
Replacements: 16 Jan-Henning Campher, 17 Sti Sithole, 18 Carlu Sadie, 19 Wilhelm van der Sluys, 20 Ruan Vermaak, 21 Dillon Smit, 22 Manny Rass, 23 Shaun Reynolds

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't like JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. I was impressed with him last week and was keen to see him and Petaia build a relationship in the centres.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't like JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. I was impressed with him last week and was keen to see him and Petaia build a relationship in the centres.

Maybe Thorn is working on the theory that absence makes the heart grow fonder, so putting a little extra space between JOC (James O'Connor) and Petaia will help the relationship blossom. ;)

B

Bobby Sands

Don’t mind JOC (James O'Connor) @ 10, I was pretty disappointed in Lucas last week.

In a young side, James is a seasoned rugby pro. It makes sense for him to lead them around.

Interested in Hamish at 12, but part of me wants to see Paisami & Jordan together.

Do a job lads, eek a result.