• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

JB Claims

Frank Row (1)
Hahaha cant believe ive done that...ive spent the day trying to work out the Crusaders team for the weekend if that counts as a mitigating factor!!!

Coleman has made a big impact in the UK i think he tops the stats in Lineout steals since coming in. Would be nice to get one of Coleman or Arnold in just to give us a bit of experience in there but i'd be happy either way.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wouldn't scrap the Giteau rule but I would allow for exceptions where they require. I think Coleman and Arnold should absolutely be picked. Especially if we lose Rodda or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to injury.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I wouldn't scrap the Giteau rule but I would allow for exceptions where they require. I think Coleman and Arnold should absolutely be picked. Especially if we lose Rodda or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to injury.
Glad to hear he is playing well in Europe - but he was pretty damn average for the last 2 years in gold.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't see how people keep selecting Jordan Uelese. I agree he looked good in a couple of starts three years ago, but how many games of first class rugby has he played over the last two years? Surely he must get back on the paddock and string a few good games together before we consider him a potential Wallaby again.
I also disagree re Naisarani, I think he's been bloody good, and at number 8 will be one of the first players selected.

Two years ago Stephen Moore, TPN and Uelese were not available and FF (Folau Fainga'a) and BPA were our Wallaby hookers. While both were good Super Rugby players neither excelled or were able to physically impose themselves at the next level. Then comes the RWC and Cheika ends up taking a punt on a player who was odds on not to play out any game without a card. His faith was replayed and Latu ended up playing very well for the tournament. Say what you want about Cheika and his forwards coach but they were under no illusion as to what was required in their front row. They also chose Uelese as the back up despite him not having played much rugby for the past two seasons. He’s young and has the physical makings of a test hooker. His strength is TPNesque and he was able to impose himself from the first minute when he played test rugby. Now, I’ll give you that injury has been a major hurdle for him and may continue to be. Also 2 years on both FF (Folau Fainga'a) and BPA may well have developed and become stronger. Both are very good players.
It will be interesting to see which direction Rennie takes in regard to hooker. I’m guessing that he will not be writing off Jordan Uelese just yet as some are here...........and did before the RWC.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The reality is that like any of the few positions that aren't at all interchangeable, we are very limited at hooker in terms of available options. The domestic list is essentially as follows:

Fainga'a
McInerney
Lonergan
Mafi
Paenga-Amosa
Abel
Fitzpatrick
Rangi
Uelese

You can scrub a few off that list immediately as being nowhere near a spot. I have excluded most of the third choice options for each team because they are even further away from selection.

Uelese is still very likely to be on the radar this season even if he plays limited minutes.

It would seem to me that we should be picking Fainga'a, Uelese and whoever is judged to be the next best right now even if they are old and might only be an option for the series they are being selected for.

From that list I'd be looking pretty strongly at Rangi as the third option.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The reality is that like any of the few positions that aren't at all interchangeable, we are very limited at hooker in terms of available options. The domestic list is essentially as follows:

Fainga'a
McInerney
Lonergan
Mafi
Paenga-Amosa
Abel
Fitzpatrick
Rangi
Uelese

You can scrub a few off that list immediately as being nowhere near a spot. I have excluded most of the third choice options for each team because they are even further away from selection.

Uelese is still very likely to be on the radar this season even if he plays limited minutes.

It would seem to me that we should be picking Fainga'a, Uelese and whoever is judged to be the next best right now even if they are old and might only be an option for the series they are being selected for.

From that list I'd be looking pretty strongly at Rangi as the third option.

Rangi as well as doing basics well (line out throwing, scrum) his workrate around the field is excellent. Personally like to see him get a game against one of tier 2 nations to see what he can offer

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
I've always been of the view that converting stocky, muscular ex back-rowers to hooker around age 18 - 20 yo would produce the sort of players we need to compete at the international level... Look at Creevy for the Pumas, wouldn't get a look in as a back-rower these days, but absolutely kills it at hooker. I would have loved to have seen Pocock switch across as he never really had the running game we like to see from a loosie these days, he'd have been the Wallaby equivalent of Marx for the Boks and killed it (unfortunately we've had some dud hookers over the last decade who've played lots of test rugby....... )

IMO a switch by McReight should happen asap.. I reckon the bloke would end up playing 100 tests and could arguably be the best hooker in the country day 1 (Assuming he picked up those minor rugby technical skills of scrumming and throwing fairly quickly....;)!) Anyway, we can only hope...

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I've always been of the view that converting stocky, muscular ex back-rowers to hooker around age 18 - 20 yo would produce the sort of players we need to compete at the international level. Look at Creevy for the Pumas, wouldn't get a look in as a back-rower these days, but absolutely kills it at hooker. I would have loved to have seen Pocock switch across as he never really had the running game we like to see from a loosie these days, he'd have been the Wallaby equivalent of Marx for the Boks and killed it

Certainly would've solved the bloody Pooper debates here

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Rangi as well as doing basics well (line out throwing, scrum) his workrate around the field is excellent. Personally like to see him get a game against one of tier 2 nations to see what he can offer

Based on form, the pecking order would have to be Fainga'a, Rangi and then Mafi. Uselese has always shown potenial but seems to be a walking injury.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The reality though is you're never going to try and convert a player to a very different position who looks like a future superstar already. It might work but it also might derail their career.

You probably need someone who is just that step behind and has some physical characteristics that make them seem optimal for another position and a trusted coach keen to make it happen.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’d be drafting in Uelese, Fainga'a and Mafi. Uelese has just turned 23, Mafi turns 24 this year and Fainga'a turns 25. All have plenty of time on their side. Rangi is 32 this year, so unless he’s going to be our no.1 rake then I don’t see the point in considering him. Fainga'a should probably get the first opportunity but would be happy with any of these 3 given the call up.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brendan Cannon was a backrower in colts and converted to hooker after that. In fact it was the extra neck work that he did during the conversion process that probably saved his life as he was in a horrible car accident and his strength of neck and spine was seen as a reason he survived.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I’d be drafting in Uelese, Fainga'a and Mafi. Uelese has just turned 23, Mafi turns 24 this year and Fainga'a turns 25. All have plenty of time on their side. Rangi is 32 this year, so unless he’s going to be our no.1 rake then I don’t see the point in considering him. Fainga'a should probably get the first opportunity but would be happy with any of these 3 given the call up.

I'm not convinced any of those guys are going to be 100+ test Wallabies. I'd just be picking who you think are the best three for each series (which will include at least two of them).

Brandon Paenga-Amosa is probably a good example here. He's still only 24 but he's pretty unlikely to make the squad in July unless there are injuries (and barely has since being the starting hooker for the Wallabies). I don't think there's much of a case not selecting who you think are the best players here and now except where someone is really young and obviously a future superstar.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not saying this is what will happen but I would be fairly excited by the following forward pack:

1. Slipper 2. FF (Folau Fainga'a) 3. AAA
4. Rodda 5. Phillip
6. Valetini 7. Hooper 8. Naisarani

16. Sio 17. Mafi 18. Tupou 19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) 20. Wilson 21. Samu

6-2 split is a bit of a risk but i can't otherwise figure out what back-rower to leave out.
Okay the backs. This was harder imo as less standouts. Sticking with 6-2. Again, what I would be excited to see not necessarily what i think will happen.

9. White. 10. Lolesio 11. Mk 12. Simone 13. TK 14. Kellaway 15. DHP

22. McDermott 23. JOC (James O'Connor) (covers just about everything)

Admittedly short on goalkicking which i think in reality would see To'omua in at 10 but id love to see Lolesio sniping rush defences. Simone outside him to steady the ship. I was tempted to throw Paisami in but defense just too important at test level.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Mate, if there are exceptions, surely there is no rule? Or am I missing something?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mate, if there are exceptions, surely there is no rule? Or am I missing something?

Exceptions due to a shortage of quality players in a specific position probably due to injury. We could get away with Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Phillip but if two go down? We need to call up Adam, Kane and Rory if we want to win Tests.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think we are going to bring through the next tier. If we rely on OS players the next generation will not be ready come 2023.
Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Phillip is a good place to start. We also have Simmons and the the young guns, who are pretty handy.