• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
We used to play a second fullback at 14 when Israel was 15 because he didn't kick. While Israel wore 15, most of the fullback's duties were covered by the 14. With Banks or DHP likely to play 15, we don't really need to carry a second fullback at 14. We do need someone who is solid under the highball, however, as Marika doesn't jump that well. For me, Petaia is the standout all-round player at 14 but I'm not sure how his injuries are tracking. Kellaway and Wright are two other good options. Kellaway hardly put a foot wrong all season and seems to be a very effective AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) type winger. Wright is as potent with ball in hand as Koroibete and Petaia imo, his major flaw is that he backs himself a little too much and sometimes fails to use the men around him.

As it looks like we'll have plenty of power in the pack, our game plan will be more than trying to fling it out wide in the hope that some magic will happen and thus, unlike in the past, we don't need to select the best out and out attacking option. So, while I fully expect Wright to get his first Wallaby cap within the next two full seasons, I think there is more scope for us than there was in previous seasons to select the better rounded Kellaway while Wright continues to develop.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I think Wright has the awareness and skill required to be more than a 'strike' winger (he's far more skilled than Koribete but lacks his work rate)- the Brumbies have identified him as a potential centre option moving forward.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
it was spoken about a bit before the meltdown, but neither of Naisarani or Valetini are renowned jumpers. Particularly an issue if LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is one of the locks. Big powerful forward pack but in a lineout sense would be no better than the Pooper. Naisarani will likely be selected before Valetini.

therefore if LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is at lock, and Naisarani is at 8, who in the squad if a legitimate jumping option at 6?.........unless LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is 6

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Harry played all of his Schoolboy rugby as a lock and a lineout target. Petaia played most of his at fullback, so the foundations are there for both to fit the roles mentioned in this conversation.

Having said that , Wright would be the best lineout target of the backrowers mentioned as options. He has the size to play 6, not as dynamic as Wilson or Valetini, but his work rate is spot on , put him in the Scott Fardy category of #6's.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Harry played all of his Schoolboy rugby as a lock and a lineout target. Petaia played most of his at fullback, so the foundations are there for both to fit the roles mentioned in this conversation.

Having said that , Wright would be the best lineout target of the backrowers mentioned as options. He has the size to play 6, not as dynamic as Wilson or Valetini, but his work rate is spot on , put him in the Scott Fardy category of #6's.

that's a bloody good read. You are bang on about his lineout credentials and the Fardy comparisons I hadn't thought of, but seem pretty accurate.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I'm sure at some point in the future a Reds back row of 6. Wright 7. McReight 8. Wilson will double as a Wallaby back-row. I'd hope that we turn Valetini into a proper lineout target though. His ability to stifle the opposition's momentum or force a turnover by holding up an attacking player is a real point of difference.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I've played with Harry and he's a great learner and will become a very skilled jumper if not already IMO. Has always found a way to turn 'weaknesses' into an asset of his game.

Take his tackling in high school. He wasn't the greatest tackler but has clearly worked really hard at driving through the contact and is now a much more effective tackler. I've also seen a huge upturn in defensive work rate. This one was probably due to the fact he was so good as a junior but he now gets off the deck and fills into the defensive line very quickly.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
From Phil Rothfield in The Telegraph:
NRL clubs have begun picking at the carcass of a decimated Rugby Australia, knowing the 15-a-side game can no longer keep paying their elite juniors.
It was revealed in News Corp newspapers on Monday that Rugby Australia had blown $500m over the past four years and could be heading down the path of insolvency with no TV broadcast deal.
The NRL clubs are now poised to attack rugby’s established stars and elite pathway rookies, who had been earmarked as future Wallabies, with Jordan Petaia, Harry Wilson and Mark Nawaqanitawase the obvious targets of multimillion-dollar raids.
“There could be a massive influx of their players,” league immortal Bob Fulton said.
“Union is on it’s knees financially while we’re getting our act together with Peter V’Landis in charge.”

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)

NRL clubs have begun picking at the carcass of a decimated Rugby Australia, knowing the 15-a-side game can no longer keep paying their elite juniors.

It was revealed in News Corp newspapers on Monday that Rugby Australia had blown $500m over the past four years and could be heading down the path of insolvency with no TV broadcast deal.

The NRL clubs are now poised to attack rugby’s established stars and elite pathway rookies, who had been earmarked as future Wallabies, with Jordan Petaia, Harry Wilson and Mark Nawaqanitawase the obvious targets of multimillion-dollar raids.

Rubbish. Harry was on the Sideline experts podcast like 2 weeks ago saying how exciting he is about playing for the Reds and that they all want to win a competition together.

B

Bobby Sands

I can't really see Harry excelling at league at NRL level tbh, but he's excellent so maybe he would adapt.

Very different player/athlete to say Tyson Frizell.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
“There could be a massive influx of their players,” league immortal Bob Fulton said.
“Union is on it’s knees financially while we’re getting our act together with Peter V’Landis in charge.”

The league community is hitting peak Peter V'Landis at this point, might break through to a new level if he actually achieves NRL restart on 28 May. Which means he can only be 12-18 months away from Buzz Rothfeld naming him as the biggest thing holding the NRL back. They do love their ritual worship and sacrifice cycle of CEOs and chairmen in the league.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The league community is hitting peak Peter V'Landis at this point, might break through to a new level if he actually achieves NRL restart on 28 May. Which means he can only be 12-18 months away from Buzz Rothfeld naming him as the biggest thing holding the NRL back. They do love their ritual worship and sacrifice cycle of CEOs and chairmen in the league.
You'd think they'd even know how to spell his name by this stage of the cycle.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Someone on WTF labelled the Beale and Jones departure as the start of the new exodus....fairly sure they were going anyway. Both out of contract, both not going to get a National top up so both could easy double their money over there.

I see some good news here (at least financially). All the 'young guns' have already started quite long term contracts, so none will be fighting for a pay jump anytime soon. DHP is already on a contract for 2021, Banks & Campbell to 2022, Hodge & Lucas to 2023. SO the 1,000,000 between the Tahs and Wallabies going to Beale now has to go....to noone. Tahs may need a bunch of their share for a replacement or invest across multiple youths, but from an RA perspective, should be an easy and significant saving next year.