• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joker, what do you think it is that has caused Joeys’ historical dominance? How is it that Joeys are such a force to be reckoned with in the AAGPS rugby competition? Is it a structural matter, or simply an unstemmable flow of pure talent?
Would love to find out

Long answer- Boarding, Br Henry, Monday night schnitzel and lots of bloody hard work training
Short answer- God loves Marists most

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
What a fixture last week between Newington and Shore. Shore very unlucky to not break the drought, although Newington were significantly improved after losing to Grammar the week before. Hopefully the two will meet again if NSW health keep their act together.

Trial games dont count. Apparently Shore have beaten Newington in a trial since 2016

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Joker, what do you think it is that has caused Joeys’ historical dominance? How is it that Joeys are such a force to be reckoned with in the AAGPS rugby competition? Is it a structural matter, or simply an unstemmable flow of pure talent?
Would love to find out

bit of skulduggery now again helps them.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
Long answer- Boarding, Br Henry, Monday night schnitzel and lots of bloody hard work training
Short answer- God loves Marists most

Don’t forget Br Emery’s very long stint as the 14a’s and b’s coach. Lots of tough love and simple rugby coached into a few generations by him.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I am sure that ALL CAS posters and supporters are extremely happy to see that the GPS Rugby season is to proceed.
Having just finished our season, the relief and benefits that it brought to the boys and supporters can't be overstated.

Bring it on, and best of luck to all the boys and their supporters.

My tip is Shore!

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Don’t forget Br Emery’s very long stint as the 14a’s and b’s coach. Lots of tough love and simple rugby coached into a few generations by him.

Archie still lives. Spoke to him recently. He used kiwi inspired training tactics I believe, that is, do as I say or I will thump you.
Here is the great man with the 14A's. He only had a photo with them if they were undefeated as well. No I am not in this photo. I played C's that year.

Ef64gOAU8AAXyGZ

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I am sure that ALL CAS posters and supporters are extremely happy to see that the GPS Rugby season is to proceed.

Hey WLF, rumour has it that the CAS was also invaded by young rascals trying to play with the big boys as well.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ok then lets see how this works

Round 2- 29 August
Round 3- 5 September
Round 4- 12 September
Round 5- 19 September

TERM ENDS
Joeys - 24 September
Newington - 25 September
Riverview - 24 September
Scots - 24 September
Shore - 24 September
Kings - 25 September

Round 1- ????? Ideas? Term IV?

They'll play it sometime in the last week of school, possibly during the week or on the Saturday. I'd imagine 1sts, 2nds and 3rds only. Summer sport starts first Saturday back so that's not an option I don't think and it's also way to close to the start of the HSC.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Shores time is coming - I am told there are 2 very strong age groups. The current U16 being one so 2021 & 2022 should see a much improved Shore 1st XV.

And if they get to play Newington again this year, they have a good chance of getting their first GPS Win since 2016.

Although the Shore 16As have lost to both Riverview and Newington so far this year. The Newington 16As this year have 10 boys playing up in opens, not sure what's happening at Riverview. They've gone from being the weakest GPS team in the age group to beating Shore (who have been strong all the way through) and lost only 8-7 to Joeys after the bell (there's that clock again ;)) last week after leading for the whole game. An exponential improvement by the boys from Lane Cove.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...nter-sports-weigh-return-20200821-p55o1e.html

GPS sports officials will meet with NSW chief health officer Kerry Chant early next week to negotiate a modified return of its winter sports programs, including the popular first XV rugby competition.

No GPS sport will be played this weekend but the Athletic Association of the Great Public Schools of NSW (AAGPS) on Friday said it would weigh up a return if it was safe and in line with government guidelines.

9d3dd8cb28969bb72691d56c7ea86a09ed54fbdc

GPS rugby will remain on hold for now despite the NSW Sports Minister offering some hope that a modified season could return. CREDIT:DALLAS KILPONEN

It offered no further clarification on a possible timeline to that point but a source said officials would meet with Chant as early as Monday to see if they could work out a modified season.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
lost only 8-7 to Joeys after the bell (there's that clock again ;)) last week after leading for the whole game..

Joeys clocks are possessed with the spirit of Brother Henry.
And yes, Joeys 16A's have lost a few lads to the opens as well so they are not as strong as per last year.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Shores time is coming - I am told there are 2 very strong age groups. The current U16 being one so 2021 & 2022 should see a much improved Shore 1st XV.

And if they get to play Newington again this year, they have a good chance of getting their first GPS Win since 2016.

Yes this years Yr10 (u16's) have been successful over the years and the current Yr11's have been solid without regular success so theoretically next years team might be better however their ceiling will be limited, as always, by next to zero intake of new talent relative to the other schools. The principal recently wrote to the parents saying talented sports intake is completely off the table so the existing policy wont be changing under the new leadership.

The quality of the S&C program has gone up dramatically the last 12 months and the coaching panel is outstanding this year however there is barely a kid in the program who wasn't there in year 7 and the squad really could do with a bit of additional size. Thats not to be disparaging on the current players who are working really hard and some of whom have made significant rep teams.

It was a good performance against Newington in the trial and they showed a lot more structure and heart than they did against View however I think having M. Fell back for New will improve their perforance a fair bit. Shore Opens were bolstered by the addition of a number of key 16A's players last week so I'd expect some more improvement as they integrate into the system. Fingers crossed.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Although the Shore 16As have lost to both Riverview and Newington so far this year. The Newington 16As this year have 10 boys playing up in opens, not sure what's happening at Riverview. They've gone from being the weakest GPS team in the age group to beating Shore (who have been strong all the way through) and lost only 8-7 to Joeys after the bell (there's that clock again ;)) last week after leading for the whole game. An exponential improvement by the boys from Lane Cove.

I expect Shore have a stack playing up as well,

Because the year above them was very weak and ended up refusing to play as U15's and did not play GPS.

But I dont know, I am guessing. I am not close to it at all

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
Archie still lives. Spoke to him recently. He used kiwi inspired training tactics I believe, that is, do as I say or I will thump you.
Here is the great man with the 14A's. He only had a photo with them if they were undefeated as well. No I am not in this photo. I played C's that year.

Ef64gOAU8AAXyGZ

Ef64gOAU8AAXyGZ

Sometimes being undefeated wasn’t enough to get him to make an appearance in the team photo. I played in one of his teams that was undefeated and didn’t have a single try scored against us (trials or comp). I can’t find the photo now but I am pretty sure he didn’t appear.

Alexander Wilson

Frank Row (1)
G’day gents
Just moved from Brisbane to Sydney for my accounting job and being a real footy head myself and an ex Nudgee boy I wanted to get the lay of the land in all forms of Schoolboy rugby. Finally have the coin to send my boy to a private school and me and the missus have decided on Joeys. He’s starting next year and I’m really keen for him to get into footy, having played in the Nudgee 1st 15 myself.
Anyway, sorry for that long introduction but hopefully I can provide some good analysis in the future.