• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So tell me with a straight face that is all fine with you? It's fucking retarded as far I am concerned.

But anyway, probably a discussion for some other thread.
I will get humble when we're in the top 4 for now, ranked 10, pull out all stops and tricks. Scott Barrett once ate a lamington? Good enough for me.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Spose we'll just pretend we weren't in the top 4 before our playing stocks started getting plundered then...

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
In the absence of an actual form 9 don't you just pick Nic White on experience?
We need to move on from Nic White- he’s not in good form and he’s had a decade of letting us down in big games. He’s pretty talented but overplays his hand to our detriment.

LevitatingSocks

Sydney Middleton (9)
We need to move on from Nic White- he’s not in good form and he’s had a decade of letting us down in big games. He’s pretty talented but overplays his hand to our detriment.
Felt like every time a few good phases were strung together in the world cup campaign, he would put up a box kick the other team would recover and kill any momentum. Hard to know if that was his own tendency at play or Eddie's instruction but it was frustrating to watch.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Based on previous Schmidt teams I think he will give Lolesio first crack. Schmidt seemed to prefer a ten who could implement a detailed plan reliably with Ireland though he may take a different approach here. I’d say Lolesio has demonstrated he can cope with extensive instruction better than others and he definitely has the best passing and kicking technique. His tackling technique is also very sound these days (of course he’s not as dominant as Gordon).

If Schmidt was looking for vision to cope with a more freestyle approach then I think Gordon goes to the front of the pack. One criticism I have of Lolesio is how often he passes down the line to outside backs who are outmanned.

Lolesio has never really been rocks or diamonds for Wallabies though and I think that Schmidt will ultimately see that as a platform to work from in the lead up to Wales. He probably has the confidence to worry about what opposition may throw at Lolesio on his behalf, strategically speaking.
Its interesting that Paul Cully in the SMH opinions Tom Lynagh should be first choice for the No 10 jersey.
To quote Cully "Tom Lynagh is the best young No.10 prospect in Australia: he’s the guy who arguably plays even better against the Kiwis, where his rivals tend to blow hot and cold."

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Its interesting that Paul Cully in the SMH opinions Tom Lynagh should be first choice for the No 10 jersey.
To quote Cully "Tom Lynagh is the best young No.10 prospect in Australia: he’s the guy who arguably plays even better against the Kiwis, where his rivals tend to blow hot and cold."
I actually agree with that latter part but couldn’t bear seeing him over exposed too early and get spat out the other end. No bad thing to hold on to his development a little longer and let him bed down his game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ha! Conventional wisdom says he has only looked good because he is playing behind one of the stronger packs in the Aussie sides.

There's no doubt he has talent, but he is also about the least experienced of the No 10s in contention for the Wallabies. ATM he mostly just distributes to his outside backs. Gordon remains the best option for adding more bows to the attack than Lynagh or the others.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I actually agree with that latter part but couldn’t bear seeing him over exposed too early and get spat out the other end. No bad thing to hold on to his development a little longer and let him bed down his game.
Normally I would disagree with this but he aint a big guy and another year playing Super Rugby will help a lot. I thought he stood up well in the Blues game.

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
If Paul Cully actually believes that my opinion of him has declined . He is too young, hasn’t really dominated and imho if his Dad wasn’t a legend would not be getting as much press as he is getting. If he is our best option for the 10 position I know nothing about rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
But can he reliably find touch from a penalty? the only criteria that matters.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
If Paul Cully actually believes that my opinion of him has declined . He is too young, hasn’t really dominated and imho if his Dad wasn’t a legend would not be getting as much press as he is getting. If he is our best option for the 10 position I know nothing about rugby.
From the lion's mouth :eek:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Tom Lynagh one is tricky.

I think he's there or there abouts and definitely the potential choice. If your argument is that he shouldn't be picked this year because it's too early to throw him in then potentially he also doesn't get picked next year for the Lions series because you want someone with a bit more experience under their belt.

I think we're pretty clearly not looking at anyone with heaps of experience (Cooper or Foley) so the highest level of experience is clearly Lolesio. At that point I'm not sure you're looking at them having a huge advantage in regards to experience and composure under pressure.

It's a group of younger 10s who have modest test experience down to no test experience.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
There’s a Rugby Championship, EOYT, and a full Super season between Wales and the Lions and I think a squad place on the EOYT would not be out of place at all but I do struggle to see how he’ll be contending for starting 10 by the time Lions comes around frankly.