• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think the most competitive spots will be the 2nd row and back row

Lock has around 4-5 spots between:

- Skelton (if available)
- Swain
- Smith
- Rodda
- LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
- Holloway
- Frost

I'd have Frost, Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) & Holloway (assuming no Skelton)

Back-row as well around 6-7 spots between:

- Leota
- Cale
- Gleeson
- Wilson
- Wright
- Hanigan
- Swinton
- McReight
- Valentini

I'd have Wilson, Wright, McReight, Swinton, Valentini, Gleeson

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Uru is another player who was putting his hand up for higher honours before injury.
I think the basis of who was selected last year under Eddie won't count much towards selection this year.

That list of players by @rugbyAU contains a reasonable mix of playing styles/experience and potential. It's now up to Schmidt to choose what balance he wants in his team.

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
Carter to me has more upside in terms of unleashing the backline and his defence is also very good. The kicking is a worry though and that's real important at test level. I'd still pick him but I'd be nervous doing it.

Maybe we pair him with Lonergan, who is a good kick for goal? He's not too shabby at the other halfback skills either.
Lonergan is patchy and not sure he’d be Test level? White is still best imho.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm a bit nervous about our 9 stocks. We have White & McDermott who are test quality then kinda Longeran and Gordon. IFL has been anonymous this year, Rebels boys ain't it.

We're 1.5 injuries away from a crisis.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm a bit nervous about our 9 stocks. We have White & McDermott who are test quality then kinda Longeran and Gordon. IFL has been anonymous this year, Rebels boys ain't it.

Tawera-Kerr-Barlow.jpg

1700186314832-_-HL_816_will_genia_%E2%91%A0.jpg

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
He's picking Lonergan to cover Carter's shaky goal kicking.

Gordon just played his 50th pro match for Rebels and Wallabies and has kicked 4 penalties and zero drop goals. Total. That's an amazing stat for someone who is presumably going to be first choice goal kicker if selected for the Wallabies

Even Larkah

JRugby2

Allen Oxlade (6)

This is 4 of the starting 9s at our 5 super rugby clubs. Not sure what else we can do to bolster this very specific position.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
In worst case, who's the former All Black playing in Europe who put his hand up for the Wallabies?

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Based on previous Schmidt teams I think he will give Lolesio first crack. Schmidt seemed to prefer a ten who could implement a detailed plan reliably with Ireland though he may take a different approach here. I’d say Lolesio has demonstrated he can cope with extensive instruction better than others and he definitely has the best passing and kicking technique. His tackling technique is also very sound these days (of course he’s not as dominant as Gordon).

If Schmidt was looking for vision to cope with a more freestyle approach then I think Gordon goes to the front of the pack. One criticism I have of Lolesio is how often he passes down the line to outside backs who are outmanned.

Lolesio has never really been rocks or diamonds for Wallabies though and I think that Schmidt will ultimately see that as a platform to work from in the lead up to Wales. He probably has the confidence to worry about what opposition may throw at Lolesio on his behalf, strategically speaking.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If prior evidence can be used to predict future plans we can expect a rather structured approach with workrate key, I think consistent efforts within a game plan will be chosen over random moments of brilliance

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Picking a Kiwi is one thing but a 30 cap All Black? What's even the point of having national teams at that stage?
One of our most recent World Cup winning squad players was a former South African captain. A member of the first ever Australian team to win the Bledisloe Cup had already played for NZ. This ship has long sailed away

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The fuckers picked Dempsey. We can do what we want.

Meafou was incredible on the weekend. Hansen has been killing it, bloody Sione from Frankston will probably be a Lion.
So tell me with a straight face that is all fine with you? It's fucking retarded as far I am concerned.

But anyway, probably a discussion for some other thread.