• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’s pretty sad the state of the game when last year they were talking about need for NRC or a stronger 3rd tier (club) yet nothing been announced.

throwing some of that 80m loan at a new comp could help make our game stronger for broadcasters in search of more quality content

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It’s pretty sad the state of the game when last year they were talking about need for NRC or a stronger 3rd tier (club) yet nothing been announced.

throwing some of that 80m loan at a new comp could help make our game stronger for broadcasters in search of more quality content
It's too late. We probably needed to add that tier way back in 2003 when we had the capital to do so (which we tried and failed to do effectively, twice). Any 3rd tier comp is a loss making enterprise designed to produce better outcomes over the long term in the top tier (which is pretty clearly a failed model as this point).

The top down pyramid model can't even fund the second tier anymore, let alone a third. Which is still why I think signing up for Super Rugby Pacific was consigning ourselves to defeat - even if an alternative model would have been very risky/unconventional.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The Tom Lynagh one is tricky.

I think he's there or there abouts and definitely the potential choice. If your argument is that he shouldn't be picked this year because it's too early to throw him in then potentially he also doesn't get picked next year for the Lions series because you want someone with a bit more experience under their belt.

I think we're pretty clearly not looking at anyone with heaps of experience (Cooper or Foley) so the highest level of experience is clearly Lolesio. At that point I'm not sure you're looking at them having a huge advantage in regards to experience and composure under pressure.

It's a group of younger 10s who have modest test experience down to no test experience.
Agree - he’s in a tricky spot.

Form wise I think he’s been the same as all the others - had some very good games and a few others where he has come up short. I don’t think he looks ready for test rugby but the others are not exactly killing it either.

Having seen what has happened with Lolesio and Gordon I’m firmly on the side of holding him back another year but that could turn out to be one of those sliding doors moments where someone else gets in there first and locks down first.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I just think Tom just needs a year of playing the maximum amount of rugby possible, since coming over from England he hasn't played a whole lot of rugby, so i'd almost argue that playing the remainder of the season in QPR getting maximum minutes would offer more development for him now then sitting in the Wallabies camp.

Beattie

Stan Wickham (3)
What have you geezers done to Carter Gordon down there? In January he had no interest in chasing the dollars in UK and France. Now it seems your friends are chasing him. He is worth the fight.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What have you geezers done to Carter Gordon down there? In January he had no interest in chasing the dollars in UK and France. Now it seems your friends are chasing him. He is worth the fight.

In January the team he played for didn't have a completely uncertain future.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
In January the team he played for didn't have a completely uncertain future.
1714535696639.gif

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Maybe I should have said early January given administrators were appointed 29 January.

I'm obviously not saying that the financial issues happened since January just that the true extent of them only became apparent after administrators were appointed.
I don't know, December was full of articles about financial strife and a pending collapse. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't already significant concern amongst the playing group, or at least their management.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't know, December was full of articles about financial strife and a pending collapse. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't already significant concern amongst the playing group, or at least their management.
The playing group was assured everything was good in December, whether they believed it or not. They had a meeting and told it was just negative media to drive down the cost for centralization.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
No Hooper in either the 2nd row or back row?
IMO, Hanigan & Holloway are outperforming Hooper as lock/6 utilities, then there are full locks likely available and fit for purpose, like Frost, Swain, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), and then 8s. Hooper will get his time again but I wouldn't have him in the 23, or even the squad tbh. Like the cut of his gib, but would take the more grizzled holloway & hanigan over him for this series.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Asked when he would know his best 15 he said "early December".

"When you learn most around players and selection is when you've had time with them," Schmidt said.

"I'm looking forward to the end-of-year tour to have a little bit more time with them.

"It's probably facetious to say early December but that's when we'll get a bit more growth from the team.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tom Lynagh just seems to read the play very well. He often turns up in the right place at the right time to make a crucial tackle and his passing/kicking game is cultured. He also does not shirk the hard stuff and puts his body on the line repeatedly. There is a lot of improvement to be had there but I put him easily besides Lolesio and ahead of the others at this point.
However, I agree he should not be rushed and a spot on the EOYT is a realistic goal. Let the other three duke it out against Wales and Georgia and see what they can do.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
IMO, Hanigan & Holloway are outperforming Hooper as lock/6 utilities, then there are full locks likely available and fit for purpose, like Frost, Swain, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), and then 8s. Hooper will get his time again but I wouldn't have him in the 23, or even the squad tbh. Like the cut of his gib, but would take the more grizzled holloway & hanigan over him for this series.
I would add Rob Leota to that list, I wasn't a great fan, but in a couple of games this year he was looked really good playing angry and ripping in

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I would add Rob Leota to that list, I wasn't a great fan, but in a couple of games this year he was looked really good playing angry and ripping in
Oh i think Rob is over Hoops aswell, just being a bit position specific. For me, Holloway, Hanigan and Hoops are potentially fighting for 1 squad spot.

I usually go by a 33man squad as per WC but I know this can vary.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
Oh i think Rob is over Hoops aswell, just being a bit position specific. For me, Holloway, Hanigan and Hoops are potentially fighting for 1 squad spot.

I usually go by a 33man squad as per WC but I know this can vary.
Jeremy Williams should be in the conversation for lock / 6 hybrid as well - he's been consistently excellent the last 2 years, especiially highlighted by how much the Force have struggled when he (and Rodda) haven't been in the side. With my Force tinted glasses on, I'd have him over all of the above candidates, except Holloway.
Probably had a few too many injuries this year to show the number of high level performances required, but hopefully that changes with the remainder of the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) season.

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Jeremy Williams should be in the conversation for lock / 6 hybrid as well - he's been consistently excellent the last 2 years, especiially highlighted by how much the Force have struggled when he (and Rodda) haven't been in the side. With my Force tinted glasses on, I'd have him over all of the above candidates, except Holloway.
Probably had a few too many injuries this year to show the required number of high level performances required, but hopefully that changes with the remainder of the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) season.
I think Williams is there and there abouts in the lock conversation, particularly backing up some of the more technical options like Frost, but I'm not sure how much of an option he is at 6. Certainly not impossible he could play at 6, but I think I'd want to see him do a fair bit of it at a lower level first. I definitely wouldn't put him above any of those candidates if you're looking at a utility who is a 6 first though.

That said, I also wouldn't look at Hanigan as too much of a lock option at test level and immediate injury aside I'd have Uru ahead of all of them in that role off of this season's form.

Reactions: dru