• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders v Reds: International Star Wars Day 4:35pm NZST

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I mean, that just doesn’t make sense? Why bother making it so serious when they’re going to be missing half a dozen players in the Wallabies squad. It’s going to be a team which is so far removed from what their likely 2025 run on team will be.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hmmm.... a person might wonder what the purpose of the game is.

Money/ Revenue (clearly pretty important at the moment when you look at the state of the Rebels, Brumbies and Waratahs)

More player offerings (recruitment / retention strategy)

Player development (higher level of competition for the team).

Brand awareness / Marketing / Strategic partnerships (creates a stronger 'global' brand, add in the 2 game tour to the NH early next year).

Pretty straight forward really. How dare the QRU think so strategically! I guess they could just whinge about RA not giving them more money?

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
Money/ Revenue (clearly pretty important at the moment when you look at the state of the Rebels, Brumbies and Waratahs)

More player offerings (recruitment / retention strategy)

Player development (higher level of competition for the team).

Brand awareness / Marketing / Strategic partnerships (creates a stronger 'global' brand, add in the 2 game tour to the NH early next year).

Pretty straight forward really. How dare the QRU think so strategically! I guess they could just whinge about RA not giving them more money?
Hell, you've convinced me.

Reds aren't gonna put in effort to be competitive - why waste my money going to watch?

How does deliberately not trying to win add to their value as a global brand?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hell, you've convinced me.

Reds aren't gonna put in effort to be competitive - why waste my money going to watch?

They will pick the strongest side available. Its just that there is a Wallaby test that weekend so all players won't be available.

But I am sure they will miss your 'support'

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Kiss has spoken at length about wanting to bring back the 'tour culture' in rugby as that is what sets us aside from other sports in our market.

Engaging with an international team at a club level can only have positive outcomes for the game.

NoName - I have bought a bay of 20 tickets for it so if you don't want to waste your money I'll give you a bell if someone cancels, my treat.

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
No good - @RugbyReg as well connect to the qru as he is tells me where their actual mindset is.

I'd like to hear specifically how any of you think the players get any benefit at all by playing against a test team but not taking it seriously and prepping like it's a test match?

Brumbies would not take that match as anything other another chance to beat an international team and prove their right to be Australia's premier team.

But QRU - nah let's jusr fuck about and get stupid people to buy our merch.

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
They will pick the strongest side available. Its just that there is a Wallaby test that weekend so all players won't be available.

But I am sure they will miss your 'support'
They already do. Convince me they don't.

I literally said "treat it like a test match" and you fuckers are trying to convince me that we shouldn't by putting other priorities ahead of that.

If they treat it like a test match - they'll get every other benefit you guys mention. They get nothing other than a quick sugar hit otherwise.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Brumbies would not take that match as anything other another chance to beat an international team and prove their right to be Australia's premier team.
Who's suggesting anything other than this will be the case? Reg certainly isn't.

Reds will select their best available team; if that includes a centre pairing that hasn't run out before, then so be it. Brumbies or anything other team would do the exact same. You're just being a grumpy sod because the Brumbies didn't think of it first...

Edit: You're not a Brumbies supporter, my mistake. The rest stands.

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
Who's suggesting anything other than this will be the case? Reg certainly isn't.

Reds will select their best available team; if that includes a centre pairing that hasn't run out before, then so be it. Brumbies or anything other team would do the exact same. You're just being a grumpy sod because the Brumbies didn't think of it first...
Read the fucking post I relied to....

@RugbyReg was talking about "testing out combinations" in his post. I said I'd rather take it seriously like a test match. Then he's doubled down about marketing and quick cash grabs etc.

Teams don't fuck about with combinations and shit if they are taking it seriously like a test match.

I know full well that a couple of players will be with the wallabies - but trialling combinations isn't the focus. Winning is. Pick the best team weeks out and do the trialling in training. On the field it should be the best they can put on. He only added that AFTER I pointed out how fucked his attitude was.

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
He literally was.
1000002279.png

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
He literally was.
The Reds likely won't have a centre pairing available that isn't 'untested' given injuries and who is likely to be called into the Wallabies. It is a tour match, so if our hand is forced to play a different pairing, then it is the best place for that to happen.

It doesn't mean there's any less desire to win and take it seriously...

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
What a fucking dire place to take what should be a glorious thread full of gloating...
Good point - atrocious attitudes towards trying to win, hypocritical bigots pushing political agenda in every second post, shadow bans for predicting where the wallabies would end up ahead of the world cup...

gagr taking a leaf out of RA playbook on shrinking to greatness.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Hmmm.... a person might wonder what the purpose of the game is.

In a game where we complain about our players getting less and less access to high quality games, stuff Queensland for trying new and novel ways to bridge that gap?

Again highlights the efforts Queensland goes to keep rugby great in this country.