• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Tamati was a great No 8. Played Vic 21s with him in 2000. Injury got him in the end. Benny Palavi was another hard player and played his time in Canberra too. Also succumbed to injury.

I saw David recently at the Brighton vs St Kevin's match and had a good chat with him. I was behind the lens barrel watching my son make his 1st VX run-on debut for Kevvies. Another good win too :)

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

I saw David recently at the Brighton vs St Kevin's match and had a good chat with him. I was behind the lens barrel watching my son make his 1st VX run-on debut for Kevvies. Another good win too :)
Congratulations to Timmy Jnr, great moment. Apologies it’s for the bad guys!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
We need to address the wider problem of rugby in Australia first. If there is enough appeal to play the code elsewhere then the Victorian talent will move elsewhere to achieve that. That said, I don't believe the professional pathways in Victoria will die along with the Rebels, should that happen. I am not sure what the solution is, but there will be one.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Congrats on your son getting his first early 2000s Holden Commodore?!?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Timely...

The Tax Office is ramping up action against company directors as it chases $2.5 billion in unpaid taxes from businesses that have failed to pay superannuation, pass on GST or pass on income tax of employees.

Directors who have amassed large assets, such as trophy homes and flash boats, while not passing on collected taxes to the Australian government are some of the first in the firing line, according to sources familiar with the Australian Taxation Office’s operations.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I'd imagine the directors in question here park their assets in discretionary/family trusts and own very little. For the tax/law nerds in here, how can the ATO go after assets within a trust?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd imagine the directors in question here park their assets in discretionary/family trusts and own very little. For the tax/law nerds in here, how can the ATO go after assets within a trust?

It's pretty hard to have no assets even if some assets such as your house and other property are held by your spouse. Do they have no control over trusts etc. and when did assets get put in the trust.

It's also a pretty dire outcome for anyone to be made bankrupt.

Let's assume you're a high profile silk in Melbourne. It's probably more damaging to be an undischarged bankrupt than to reach an arrangement with the ATO. I assume a high profile silk in Melbourne has a pretty high taxable income.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
My sources have told me that they did in fact have their houses in their own name and not in a trust at all

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
My sources have told me that they did in fact have their houses in their own name and not in a trust at all

Wow, I'm amazed by that. Perhaps in the spouse's name, I dunno. Regardless, I think the ATO will go the negotiation path rather than litigation. Ultimately they want their money without the huge legal fees.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's pretty hard to have no assets even if some assets such as your house and other property are held by your spouse. Do they have no control over trusts etc. and when did assets get put in the trust.

It's also a pretty dire outcome for anyone to be made bankrupt.

Let's assume you're a high profile silk in Melbourne. It's probably more damaging to be an undischarged bankrupt than to reach an arrangement with the ATO. I assume a high profile silk in Melbourne has a pretty high taxable income.
In NSW at least becoming bankrupt is a show cause event and can have implications for on-going practice. Assume its similar in Vic.

Last edited:
Reactions: mst

Slayer!

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just spelling out the reality of it buddy. If the Rebels die so does the production of juniors out of Melbourne. You can’t have one without the other. The fact that all people care about is how they can enrich their lists and get access to the talent coming through is reflective of the myopic attitude that is pervasive throughout Australian Rugby
More than half your squad is either from Brisbane or plays in Brisbane.
The team won't be missed (and certainly not your tax-dodging directors).
The players will find a home, the remaining four teams get a slightly better squad (although to be honest I'm not exactly sure which Rebels the Reds or Brumbies would want - the Force will take anyone - Kurtly Beale, exhibit A - and God knows what the WaRAtahs will do...) and we go to a proper home and away season, which makes Stan very happy.
And no-one misses the Rebels.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The players will find a home, the remaining four teams get a slightly better squad (although to be honest I'm not exactly sure which Rebels the Reds or Brumbies would want - the Force will take anyone - Kurtly Beale, exhibit A - and God knows what the WaRAtahs will do...) and we go to a proper home and away season, which makes Stan very happy.
8 vics, 8 NSW, 8 Qld and a mix for the rest. Not counting players who played for the reds who are not from Qld as Qld.

Rebels been sending players to QLD for years. They also send some to NSW.

Your on the wrong page to say no one will miss the Rebels.

And what I really want to say to you will get me banned for a week, so have a nice day and don't come back to this page.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Really don't get how there has been no further news coverage about Rebels or RA since Friday. Both parties aren't that tight lipped normally, does this mean they are actually talking behind closed doors?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Really don't get how there has been no further news coverage about Rebels or RA since Friday. Both parties aren't that tight lipped normally, does this mean they are actually talking behind closed doors?
I expect they are talking but it's probably also a waiting game to see what the ATO does, so nothing else is moving too fast otherwise.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Have the Tarneit consortium presented a buisness case demonstrating a plan for the club and how they intend to make the Rebels profitable?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

Slayer, enough of the shitposting. You are clearly posting here to get a reaction out of the Melbourne supporters, who are vast in numbers.

Consider this your first and final warning.

Top Bottom