• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
Typical Old man cardigan wearing Reds fan with no sense of humour..anyway, be interesting to see what Joe does... Specifically around the backrow, captain and half's.
Actually I am a New South Welshperson by birth, and have never worn a cardigan since I was a public servant for a couple of years after leaving school.

I wonder what the percentage of cardigan wearers in Canberra is? Lots of public servants, eh?

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
Not big on Fullback and Winger captains. Bit far away from the action.
He is a great footballer as opposed to an athlete, a great respected player within the group and I’d have him on the wing or fullback in the side. He rallies his troups and talks to the referee. Why is he too far from the action? Does a forward captain constantly talk to his troups in tight. He probably has a better view of how the game is unfolding out wide and a better idea of where to play? Anyway. Never understand the ‘bit far away from the action’ thoughts.

Last edited:

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
Actually I am a New South Welshperson by birth, and have never worn a cardigan since I was a public servant for a couple of years after leaving school.

I wonder what the percentage of cardigan wearers in Canberra is? Lots of public servants, eh?
Gees. A one time wearer of a ‘cardy’ is like owning up to wearing a safari suit as a fashion item, not for a fancy dress! All your comments now are tainted with the knowledge that you are a former ‘cardy’ wearer! You can never live that down.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
A fullback? He's far away from the referee. You have to give him a megaphone
Besides a 9 there isn't a position on the field that takes in the entirety of the field and game than 15.

A 15 doesn't worry me in the slightest as Captain. To take a phrase from Loig its a position in the spine of the side which in Rugby really is the 2,9,10,15. Could throw a 7,8 in there.

We have a few good options who are forwards so probably not a problem we'll face but weave also had Hookers like Porecki as the Captain who tends to be face down in a ruck getting penalised to then get up and argue it. Refs pretty fairly get the shits with players during games when theyre always at them or the one being penalised. A 15 isn't going to be that or a guy like Wright in the 6.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Still old, Still a cardigan wearer and still can't take a joke.

I don't live in Canberra, and surprise surprise never wore a cardigan.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Biggest concern I have with Kellaway being named as captain is, he has missed a fair chunk of rugby over the last couple of seasons. There's a very real risk he could have another lengthy period off.

It's quite interesting seeing where people are naming our potential captain from ie from the forwards.

It highlights that from outside of Tate, we are extremely short of leaders in the backline. While there are some experienced players (Samu, Len, Kellaway, Marika) they're not really being thrown in the mix (other than Kellaway).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Biggest concern I have with Kellaway being named as captain is, he has missed a fair chunk of rugby over the last couple of seasons. There's a very real risk he could have another lengthy period off.

It's quite interesting seeing where people are naming our potential captain from ie from the forwards.

It highlights that from outside of Tate, we are extremely short of leaders in the backline. While there are some experienced players (Samu, Len, Kellaway, Marika) they're not really being thrown in the mix (other than Kellaway).
I think Kerevi, if local, would be great. No issues with Ikitau too.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Wrights name gets put out there but he also falls into the world of injury prone. Has been steady recently which is good.

McReight is a good option. He's likely a lock for the position as well which is a good thing.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Wrights name gets put out there but he also falls into the world of injury prone. Has been steady recently which is good.

McReight is a good option. He's likely a lock for the position as well which is a good thing.
It's not injury prone like Bell or Jorgenson though. Wrights injuries are not similar or even related. Yet no one will question the other two players selection.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think plenty of people would question Jorgo at the moment. He's not in the Wallaby frame.

Injury prone is still injury prone. Petaia falls in that category as well.

Wright has competition for the spot unlike McReight going to my second point of the post. Ideally a side doesn't want to drop or shift the C. I'm supporting Wright for the side.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's not injury prone like Bell or Jorgenson though. Wrights injuries are not similar or even related. Yet no one will question the other two players selection.

This isn't about selection though, it's about being named captain.

That said, people have touted Angus Bell as a future Wallaby captain. I still think that's a good chance at some point but he's clearly going to need to stay healthy before that's on the table.

Personally I think McReight is a very obvious choice at this point.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If McReight is injured, who's starting 7?
1715214499163.gif