• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Valetini and McReight are no brainers...
The last couple of weeks without McReight has shown while he is absolutely excellent, that the Reds did not lose too much at the breakdown with Wright and Bryant at 7.

Given Liam can play 6/7 and Valetini and Wilson have been the outstanding backrowers this year, I would add Liam to 7 and see how that operates at the international level. Then allows us to trial Valetini and Wilson.

Somehow we managed to make Smith/Waugh, Smith/Pocock and Pocock/Hooper work at international level so lets see what Bobby and Wilso can do together.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think its a shame Kemeny is leaving. In between the injuries he's been outstanding this year and can easily be a line out option. Same goes for Leota.

How the bench shapes up will be interesting. You can make a good case for Holloway with his ability to cover 4,5,6,8 and his defensive line out work has been great.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The last couple of weeks without McReight has shown while he is absolutely excellent, that the Reds did not lose too much at the breakdown with Wright and Bryant at 7.

Given Liam can play 6/7 and Valetini and Wilson have been the outstanding backrowers this year, I would add Liam to 7 and see how that operates at the international level. Then allows us to trial Valetini and Wilson.

Somehow we managed to make Smith/Waugh, Smith/Pocock and Pocock/Hooper work at international level so lets see what Bobby and Wilso can do together.
McReight would be in contention for Super Rugby MVP this season, and his abilities at the breakdown are only one element to his game.

If he's not one of the first Wobs picked, I'll eat my hat.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I dunno, I thought Fraser was exceptional against the Cru last weekend, both at the breakdown and in open play and showed why he's so highly rated. He's an absolute certainty at 7 for me. I know that wasn't your point but, however.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
If Wilson is also favoured by Schmidt, it's a combination that time and time again shows something a little extra on attack.
Counter to this is also true, if he's not picked, it's not because of his attacking skills. It's issues elsewhere in his game

Marce

John Thornett (49)
What about this Brumby kid, Charlie Cale? Maybe a combination of:
6- Valetini
7- McReight
8- Cale
could work in a future. Maybe not this season but the next one?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
6 - Valentini
7 - McReight
8 - Wilson
Nah - I think you need a more skilled lineout operator somewhere there. Take your pick of Wright, Hanigan, Swinton, Holloway, Leota, Uru etc.

Or maybe you could start with that line-up but have a more rounded player on the bench if it's not working e.g. Holloway.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Nah - I think you need a more skilled lineout operator somewhere there. Take your pick of Wright, Hanigan, Swinton, Holloway, Leota, Uru etc.

Or maybe you could start with that line-up but have a more rounded player on the bench if it's not working e.g. Holloway.

Yeah and you definitely couldn't have Skelton playing with that backrow. I like the Valentini/McReight/Wilson combo, I think you could combine that with Frost and Swain or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and then have Holloway or Hanigan on the bench