• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
If they are ditching the Giteau law can we get Sio back in there? He was in good nick when he left and our prop depths are kind of pathetic once you get past AAA, Bell and old man Slips.
My biggest frustration with the Giteau rule is people talking like this.

What you are saying is that you haven't seen him play for two years but he should be picked for the Wallabies? Righto.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

What you are saying is that you haven't seen him play for two years but he should be picked for the Wallabies? Righto.
No, what I am saying is I havent seen anyone who's any good in the intervening two years. Not consistently anyway. The bloke had nearly 70 caps for Australia.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

To be fair, if you watch any Premiership Rugby it's been pretty easy to track how Sio has been doing over at Exeter. Which for the record is still to a high standard of play. If anything you'd have to think he's continued to round out his game being exposed to the European competitions.

But I get your point, it's often seemed like those players abroad have been comparatively elevated compared to the local talent. Only thing I will say, unlike in the past where SuperRugby was arguably to a superior standard, I'd contend that is no longer the case, such that those players performing at a high standard in Top 14, URC and Premiership (and especially competitions like the Champions Cup) are being tested at an equal, if not higher standard these days.

Japan's League One is a little tricker to gauge where a player is at as the marquee players look such a cut above the local players most of the time. I'm not sure they're tested in the same way, but on the positive it definitely looks kinder to the body.

I'm not sure that the Wallabies have ever used the Giteau rule/law to bring anyone back for which there was a clearly equal or better local option in terms of skill and experience.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)

Well it could be said that if you are a regular starter in europe, you could surmise he is playing well in the scrum, whereas we can regularly see aussie based players being rolled by nzers, in a competition not reknowned for scrum.

He was #2 when he left, with the writing on the wall to slip to 3 as Bell improved and I believe it would be a greater leap of faith to suggest he has gotten worse in england, than maintained or improved.

I don't think it would be a stretch at all to suggest he would be the 3rd ranked LHP eligible for Australia, competing with Gibbon, Schoupp & Hodgman. Is that enough to bring him back? Probably not.

Reactions: dru

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the wallabies actually have so much versatility in the backs this year that very often we'll be in a position where a 6-2 would be advantageous.

For example

1. Bell (if his sausage foot is good) or Slipper
2. Faessler
3. AAAA
4. Frost
5. Skelton or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Wright
7. McReight
8. Valentini
9. McDermott
10. Lolesio
11. Koroibete (if available) or Wright
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Petaia (if recovered)
15. Kellaway

16. Pollard
17. Slipper or Hodgman
18. Tupou
19. Rodda
20. Holloway
21. Cale
22. Lonergan
23. Gordon

In this scenario, Wright covers 7 if Mcreight comes off (rare). Lots of back 5 cin the forwards. Lonergan covers goal kicking if Lolesio comes off. Lolesio covers 12 if required, Petaia covers 13. Gordon covers 10 and 15. In an ideal world you could have IFL coming off the bench covering 9 and wing which he can. Failing that Cale is capable of covering some minutes on the wing if he had to.
No Foketi - is he off os as well?

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Has it been confirmed whether or not we will have overseas-based players available for the Wales/Georgia test matches?

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm finding picking a 23 exceptionally difficult, even a 33man squad (I always do 33 as it's the WC number but I'm 99% sure itll be more'. Hoping that some of you can clear my questions up to help narrow my choices! (Day off today so too much spare time). Obviously carrying more guys makes this much easier!

Hooker: BPA should be in, technically not an overseas selection anymore as he would be exempt from the existing Giteau rule (if that still exists) as he has signed a future contract. Will Porecki or Lonergan play any Super Rugby? Surely can't pick them on the back of nothing. ATM Faessler & Uelese are guaranteed squad positions.

Prop: Will Bell return in time? Will they give him a go? If I apply the same logic as Hooker, we can't pick, but this is my conundrum! Is he TOO good to leave out even without Super Rugby? Slipper, Ala'alatoa, Tupou are shoe ins, but who are the 3rd LHP and 3rd THP? Gibbon v Hodgman v Schoupp (if fit) then Nonggoor v Talakai v HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes). Does HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) get the 6th spot as he is versatile and there is a cloud over Bell? Gibbon has been good sometimes and rolled sometimes, Hodgman I'm not sure on even though I want to be!

Lock: No standouts but alot of options, versastility, etc and so on. Frost has fallen off at the Brumbies, does this impact wallabies, same with Neville who is a scrum, maul and ruck weapon and his grizzled approach, like Holloway, suit NH opponents. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was doing well but what is his injury timeline? Same with Holloway who was doing great work. Swain has had a resurgence but is he playing the house down? Is he doing more then R.Smith, undersized but doing a mountain of ugly work? Will Rodda come good? I think so. Is Hooper doing enough at lock NOW? I had Hanigan and Holloway over him but with Holloway injured and Hoops having a great previous round, its getting congested with the 6/lock hybrids

BR: Swinton was killing it, but what is his timeline and does leaving count against him? Hanigan doing great grunt work, but is there room for multiple hybrids if Leota, Valetini and Wilson all deserve selection? IE can we FIT Hooper, Hanigan, Uru, Holloway. Do we take 1 x 7 and then a utility in Wright? or is that a wasted spot for a short series. With a smaller 2nd row with low impact/ highwork rates, do we need bigger backrowers to balance

HK: Faessler, Uelese, BPA
Prop: Slipper, Bell, Hodgman, Tupou, Talakai, Ala'alatoa
Lock: LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Swain, Rodda, Hooper
BR: Swinton, Leota, Wilson, Valetini, Mcreight
SH: Gordon, Mcdermott, White
FH: Donaldson, Gordon, Lolesio,
C: Paisami, Foketi, Ikitau, Perese
OB: Markymark, Petaia, Toole, Kellaway, Wright

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
UTR, I would be unhappy if all of the next generation miss out. Players like Pollard, Fa'agase, Kailea, Nonngorr, Frost, Canham, Cale, Lonergan, Flook, Lancaster.

I'm not advocating for them all, but I think a couple could be given opportunity, eg, Nonngorr in place of Talakai, Cale in place of Swinton, and Lonergan in place of Gordon. Otherwise a couple more in an extended squad would be good to see.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In terms of backrowers...

Valetini and McReight are no brainers...

I would say that Charlie Cale is most likely going to be in the squad based on his form and the potential he's shown... his athleticism, physicality and freakish amount of lineout steals will be too hard to ignore, and he still has some development.

Liam Wright is another one I think will be there on his return to form this year, and can cover 6/7.

Swinton deserves to be there on this year's form too, but not sure if his move overseas affects that decision.

I have the feeling Schmidt might possess the same view of Wilson that Rennie, and Jones (but who cares about his opinion) had, and might miss out.

Interesting to see how Uru goes when he returns - was in great form playing lock, but is he better suited to 6 at test level?

Tom Hooper is playing well, although probably not having the same impact as previous years, but in terms of consistency he's regularly being shuffled around positionally and starting and coming off the bench every other week.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In terms of backrowers...

Valetini and McReight are no brainers...

I would say that Charlie Cale is most likely going to be in the squad based on his form and the potential he's shown... his athleticism, physicality and freakish amount of lineout steals will be too hard to ignore, and he still has some development.

Liam Wright is another one I think will be there on his return to form this year, and can cover 6/7.

Swinton deserves to be there on this year's form too, but not sure if his move overseas affects that decision.

I have the feeling Schmidt might possess the same view of Wilson that Rennie, and Jones (but who cares about his opinion) had, and might miss out.

Interesting to see how Uru goes when he returns - was in great form playing lock, but is he better suited to 6 at test level?

Tom Hooper is playing well, although probably not having the same impact as previous years, but in terms of consistency he's regularly being shuffled around positionally and starting and coming off the bench every other week.
Absolute madness if he misses out IMO. He's the form backrower at the moment.

Edit: I also think at least one of Swinton, Hanigan or Holloway will be included as an option for 6.

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'd be pretty surprised if more than one of Swinton, Hanigan, Perese and Nawaqanitawase made it based on both form and the fact that their departing. Most of them would make the squad (but not the XV) on from if they weren't but I can't see Schmidt bothering with a bunch of guys he won't want to waste Giteau picks on. Injuries is probably the only caveat there.

I'd also be very disappointed to see Jake Gordon included, even before the rumours of his impending departure.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
UTR, I would be unhappy if all of the next generation miss out. Players like Pollard, Fa'agase, Kailea, Nonngorr, Frost, Canham, Cale, Lonergan, Flook, Lancaster.

I'm not advocating for them all, but I think a couple could be given opportunity, eg, Nonngorr in place of Talakai, Cale in place of Swinton, and Lonergan in place of Gordon. Otherwise a couple more in an extended squad would be good to see.
I've been impressed with Fa'agase's form and wouldn't mind seeing him round out the squad given the current prop injuries, but at 33 years old I'm not sure he qualifies as the "next generation".

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'd be pretty surprised if more than one of Swinton, Hanigan, Perese and Nawaqanitawase made it based on both form and the fact that their departing. Most of them would make the squad (but not the XV) on from if they weren't but I can't see Schmidt bothering with a bunch of guys he won't want to waste Giteau picks on. Injuries is probably the only caveat there.

I'd also be very disappointed to see Jake Gordon included, even before the rumours of his impending departure.
I wouldn't be that shocked. There have been very few stand-outs at 9.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wouldn't be that shocked. There have been very few stand-outs at 9.
I did say disappointed rather than shocked, but either way he has repeatedly failed to make the step up to international level, is a 30 year old halfback, none of the 8s or 10s he plays with are likely to make it and apparently he's currently negotiating a release from the final year of his contract to head to France.

I know new coaches love to repeat some of their predecessors mistakes, thinking it'll be different for them, but I just don't see any upside mucking around with Jake Gordon at this stage.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I do think it's pretty interesting that the Reds have looked pretty good without McDermott at 9. He is no doubt one of the best footballers we have, but I do wonder how often his more than occasional wayward pass is impacting any team he plays for

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I do think it's pretty interesting that the Reds have looked pretty good without McDermott at 9. He is no doubt one of the best footballers we have, but I do wonder how often his more than occasional wayward pass is impacting any team he plays for

Over the years I have often lamented the Reds inability to have a consistent halfback in the side for more than 2-3 years. I think during the 2012-2020 period we had something like 10 different starting halfbacks.

But the flipside to that is most have been pretty well above average when given the opportunity. I haven't been all that impressed with K Thomas as a finisher but the game he's been playing whilst starting has really surprised me.

Top Bottom