• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Which team will you support (Only Tah supporters)

Which team will the Tahs support?

• Reds

Votes: 50 84.7%
  • Stormers

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Crusaders

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Sharks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blues

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm talking about Slim's comment "I have no deeper connection to Queensland than I do Durban or Christchurch..."

I would have thought that enjoying QLDers like Eales, Horan, Kefu etc excel for Australia would have developed a little bit of connection to him.

Do you "understand" me now?

It's different when they're representing Australia...

But as a team, I have no more respect for the Reds than I would the Chiefs, Stormers or Leinster or any other provincial or club team...

A

antipodean

I'm talking about Slim's comment "I have no deeper connection to Queensland than I do Durban or Christchurch..."

I would have thought that enjoying QLDers like Eales, Horan, Kefu etc excel for Australia would have developed a little bit of connection to him.

Do you "understand" me now?
The context is important. What Slim should have said is 'I have no deeper connection to [Brisbane] than I do Durban or Christchurch.' Now once more: 'This isn't Australia v New Zealand or South Africa'. It's a provincial competition. Just because Australia had some great players from Queensland is not a reason for Slim to feel compelled to support Queensland Brisbane in a provincial competition.

What is being asked of slim, apart from having to justify his decision, is to engage in petty nationalism; An 'infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.'

I guess my simple intellect struggles with the concept of cheering for Beale, Robinson, TPN, for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Moore and even Giteau, for Sharpe, Pocock, O'Connor as wallabies and then turning around and not supporting them in super rugby.

I identify the super sides with their players. Not their supporters.
That's an odd concept for me; I don't support the players, I support the team. Players can and do swap provinces. I'm not going to change my allegiance because some player moves. I might call them Judas and wish a pox on their house, but I'm not changing my team because of some Beiber like crush on a "favourite player".

T

TOCC

What is being asked of slim, apart from having to justify his decision, is to engage in petty nationalism; An 'infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.'
Surprisingly "petty nationalism" and parochialism is the foundation on which super rugby and test rugby is built on.
State/provincial/country allegiances are what drive the sport in the SH...

That's an odd concept for me; I don't support the players, I support the team. Players can and do swap provinces. I'm not going to change my allegiance because some player moves. I might call them Judas and wish a pox on their house, but I'm not changing my team because of some Beiber like crush on a "favourite player".

Respectfully I disagree, this isn't about man crushes on players or whatever it is you are insinuating..
For a lot of people who follow sport, if you support a team, you are go to have a vested interest in a player which contributes to that team..

I like to see the Bulls get smashed because of there large contribution to the Springoks, likewise with the Crusaders...
On the flip side, I find it concerning if mainstay Wallabies like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is performing poorly...I may not necessarily support the Brumbies, but I at least want to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) perform well.

A

antipodean

Surprisingly "petty nationalism" and parochialism is the foundation on which super rugby and test rugby is built on.
Apples and oranges, or for Queenslanders, bananas. Super Rugby and Test rugby are not the same thing unless you're to the left of the bell curve.

Respectfully I disagree, this isn't about man crushes on players or whatever it is you are insinuating..
For a lot of people who follow sport, if you support a team, you are go to have a vested interest in a player which contributes to that team..
So which is it? You support the team or the player? Real supporters only wish to see their players perform well because that means the team performs well. It reads to me that you have this concept arse about; you're concerned more with how the Wallabies perform than your club. That you care more about the constituent parts of the highest attainable level than the grass roots.

I don't care about players who aren't playing for my team unless they're playing against my team and then I wish they drop every ball and miss every tackle. Until they get selected for a team I support I pay them no mind.

T

TOCC

Apples and oranges, or for Queenslanders, bananas. Super Rugby and Test rugby are not the same thing unless you're to the left of the bell curve.
that may be your opinion, but the majority of the current Super Rugby teams matured from state representative sides and most still carry the state/provincial name of which they represent therefore carry this parochialism tag which you refer to..

So which is it? You support the team or the player? Real supporters only wish to see their players perform well because that means the team performs well. It reads to me that you have this concept arse about; you're concerned more with how the Wallabies perform than your club. That you care more about the constituent parts of the highest attainable level than the grass roots.

I don't care about players who aren't playing for my team unless they're playing against my team and then I wish they drop every ball and miss every tackle. Until they get selected for a team I support I pay them no mind.
the point of the topic is, if the super rugby team that you support isn't playing, who would you follow?

As I explained above, I would support a fellow Australian team due to the fact that players performance/form in a Australian team is likely to flow over into the national team I support(Australia). The majority of people on this forum would be the same, just because I support the Reds doesn't mean I dont have a vested interest in other teams in the comp..

If you have no interest in other Wallaby candidates then that's your prerogative, naturally this been a Australian Rugby forum, the majority of posters on here are indeed interested, bear that in mind when you suggest 'infantile disesase'

S

Squeak

When it comes to my team, I'm parochial. My Tah's, my Wallabies, my Uni. But to get enthused about another team, I have to be won over. I'm backing Queenland for the footy they've brought to the paddock this year, but if they were in the finals, i'd be backing the Highlanders just as much. Loved what they did this season and made sure I saw their match every week. I don't really care that they're funny talking foreigners.

In the same way, I wish ebola on Richard Graham and the Bulls equally.

T

Tahfan

I'm cheering for the reds for 3 reasons:
1) They are playing a great brand of rugby and one the Tahs started with but abandoned cos CH has no spine
2) I want Link to win a Super Rugby title after taking us so close in 08
3) They are aussie and at the end of the day if an Aussie side wins it should hopefully breed confidence into the rest of the squad come the WC

Interestingly I have no problems whatsoever cheering for Rugby rivals when it does not directly effect my team. Love to see Munster doing well (for essentially the same reason as #3 above only irish obv & the fact that the ticker they show is what the game is all about) but I can NEVER and I mean NEVER do it for soccer teams. Don't know why that is but it's simply the case.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I remember when the 'Saders took on the Tahs in the '08 final, I went down to the RUC in Canberra to watch the match...

There were numerous Brumbies' players there cheering on the 'Saders... and they weren't alone...

Super Rugby is a provincial comp, so I'm not going to support a team just because they're from the same country...

I've generally been a supporter of the Reds (they used to be my second favourite team), but in light of recent events I don't want them to win...

Stormers or Sharks for me... would love to see a team notch up their first championship...

Amen to that. I know people locally in my town of Newcastle who cant stand the Newcastle Knights even if they were born and rasied in Newcastle and are mad RL fans. I follow a team in any sport because I like that team not because of where they are from. From when they were the whipping boys of Super Rugby till their more successful times lately the Saders have just been a team I've always gravitated towards - no logical explaination I just love them. Speaking of Saders their on right now!

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Reds, besides the fact that they are from Aus I really like Link as a coach and would love to see him have this success. In saying that, my money is on the stormers.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
If you don't think the super rugby team performances (Aussie derby, Aussie conference, the Australian province) which are 95% stocked with Australian players reflects on Australian rugby, then you're deluded.

I think it's also easy to understand what has been stated by most other posters - you can barrack like a madman (or WJ) for your own team whenever they're playing. You can even agree with Gits' decision vs the Reds (like I did).

But when your own team is no longer in it, and you're watching an Australian team full of Australian players - to not want them to win is the definition of "petty parochialism", to borrow the phrase

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
Not "going" for any team, looking forward to watching it from a neutral perspective! I will say that in most occasions I would want to see QLD get flogged next weekend. However, because of the reasons outlined by Tahfan, I am neutral their fortunes this year. This only applies to QLD, I would love to see ACT, WA or Victoria win the competition.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Paarl, if you designed this question as a social experiment, you're a genius.

Ultimately, I'm fascinated as to how the guys who are so anti the other Aussie provinces expect anyone to take their opinions on Australian players and coaches seriously. Basically you've just admitted you can't be anything but biased.

Explains a lot.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I am astounded that any Australian Rugby fan can support a non-australian team before an Oz one.

Don't forget that all the states essentially started as colonies of NSW and they really remain that way whether they admit it or not. :)

R

Redsben

Gagger I have just read through this whole thread and at the end thought what am I doing joining this asylum? Then realised what a great question 'Paarl' put forward. My answer is thus:

1. Reds 2. Tahs 3. Brumbies 4. Force 5. Rebels

Make of it what you will!

A

antipodean

But when your own team is no longer in it, and you're watching an Australian team full of Australian players - to not want them to win is the definition of "petty parochialism", to borrow the phrase
No it's not. There are plenty of reasons to select other teams. Preference for their playing style to begin with.

Ultimately, I'm fascinated as to how the guys who are so anti the other Aussie provinces expect anyone to take their opinions on Australian players and coaches seriously. Basically you've just admitted you can't be anything but biased.
The opposite holds true with the same logic; those who blindly support all Australian provinces can't 'expect anyone to take their opinions on Australian players and coaches seriously. Basically you've just admitted you can't be anything but biased.'

Status
Not open for further replies.