• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Union or League - what did you start with?

What game did you follow first

• Aus Raised: League - Then I saw the light

Votes: 42 45.7%
  • Aus Raised: Union - I was born blessed

Votes: 34 37.0%
  • Overseas Raised: League - really? what the fuck?

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Overseas Raised: Union - what the fuck is league?

Votes: 15 16.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
played football in thailand for 6 years until a teacher moved from nudgee college to work at my school and set up a rugby program there (helped it was a WC year as well)

T

TOCC

Started on Aussie Rules...

My mum had heard it was better for kids to develop coordination..

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Dad played schoolboy rep league for wests, so I grew up watching league. One day at about age 8 I was dragged to a Sunday lunch at parents friends house. They had a teenage son who was watching tv out the back so I went out there. I asked what was this game that he was watching, it was a bledisloe cup match. I remember being mesmerized by the constant tension, and have watched rugby ever since. Played from age 10 to 15 when I got injured. Like WJ I gave up on league when moruya got dumped.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Soccer to start, then league. Didn't play my first game of rugby until I was 22. Never played anything else again but still watch both soccer and league (I don't go for the mungo bashing because I see league has a place and quite enjoy watching it) ... and AFL and NFL (have developed a real interests in NFL over last couple of years)... and just about any other sport, except darts and curling - don't really get those.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Agree with your post there Wamberal.

Yep Soccer to start with then started getting too many yellow cards. League to start with but just enjoyed playing Rugby more, for a number of reasons. One of the main one's being less degenerates on the sideline. Cricket took a back seat when girls and beaches became more interesting.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I was born in Eastwood, and lived for the first 12 years of my life within 500 metres of the old Eastwood Oval. I was entranced from an early age at the Saturday afternoon sounds during the season, and quickly became a fan. My mother didn't want me to play rugby, like most mothers, so I played soccer for a while, and hockey, but, as soon as I could, I donned the blue and white.

I also had a season of league. It was an interesting counterpoint, in retrospect, three of the chaps in the team went on to play first grade NRL (although it was not the NRL at that time). The leaguies definitely took their sport a lot more seriously than the rah rahs did, at the junior level.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
When i was about 6 that was the hight of Super rugby and being from Perth we had the mighty Western Reds so thats what we all played. But i can still remember when i made the move during the 1999 world cup i watched the final i was about 11 i think that was the moment i saw the light and have never looked back!

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
My Uncle was involved with Penrith in League, so I always "followed" them, coming to a peak when they won the final with Brandy Alexander, a friend of my Uncles and had a bit to do with my cousins. All this meant little as my family was very anti sport, it was never on TV and I had to get lifts with other parents to get to outside sport.

I eventually made it to High School where my History teacher put together a Union team, and I played with them, it was the start and I never looked back. I had never played league and when I did fill in for the school team later I hated it, so boring.

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
Played league because that was all there was, then some school teachers started a Rugby club in our town so I played both. When I went to Uni I met a very pretty girl who said she liked Rugby so I played Rugby in an attempt to impress her. Did for a while but then she fell for a nerd who played no10. I kept playing because I liked the game and in a vain attempt to either win her back or attract a replacement which wasnt likely among the League demographic. Met my wife in casualty after a badly broken nose.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Played league because that was all there was, then some school teachers started a Rugby club in our town so I played both. When I went to Uni I met a very pretty girl who said she liked Rugby so I played Rugby in an attempt to impress her. Did for a while but then she fell for a nerd who played no10. I kept playing because I liked the game and in a vain attempt to either win her back or attract a replacement which wasnt likely among the League demographic. Met my wife in casualty after a badly broken nose.

Best story I've heard on this website. It's got heart, unrequited love, determination, betrayal, a hot nurse, violence and a happy ending. Well played good sir, well played.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
League first. Then Super League happened. Became disillusion with it. Started casually following union. Now, I love it and don't follow league. Looking now from the the outside, league comes across as suffering little man syndrome at times.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)

There's a movie to be made from this.:)

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Having an English father, played Soccer till I was 10. Then the Darkness took me and played rugger till 2 years ago where i slipped a disk in my back....twice in one season

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Prior to my teens, played mostly cricket, with a short football/soccer stint.

Have never played Aussie Rules.

Given your choice of quote Army Gav, i though you were going to say, prior to my teens, I was a timelord.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
For me, Soccer, then Union at about 12 years old. Played a bit of league at school, not much though. Never played AFL even though it's the number one sport in the Riverina.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
Started playing rugby in primary school (Catholic) but my dad was a North Sydney Bears fan so I all over that until they got shafted. Now I hate NRL because it isn't the same game I watched back then. Scrums an embarrassment. Dedicated Tahs fan now.

Status
Not open for further replies.