• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Union or League - what did you start with?

What game did you follow first

• Aus Raised: League - Then I saw the light

Votes: 42 45.7%
  • Aus Raised: Union - I was born blessed

Votes: 34 37.0%
  • Overseas Raised: League - really? what the fuck?

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Overseas Raised: Union - what the fuck is league?

Votes: 15 16.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Very surprised by the amount of people that didn't start with rugby. I've always thought you're a fan of whatever you were brought up with, what your parents supported etc.

If we lived in the US I'm sure we'd all be NFL fans and comment on how stupid rugby is...

Brought up with rugby and love it, played league in primary school and enjoyed it, still enjoy NRL and will watch it if rugby is not on. Absolutely hate AFL and soccer. Worst sports ever invented, rugby is the only sport where your body is the ball/weapon.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
For mine league is so much better at the u/5,6,7,8,9,10,11 level. All core skills are developed. My son who has played league for 3 years and will be in the u/9's this year is co-coached by an ex Marlin and an ex Woodies first grader. 2 men who are rugby through and through but have also realised that my previous statement has some merit. Rugby is way too technical for kid's at that age.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Irish Union support for many years. Only watch league on TV if there really isn't anything else on and I can't be bothered switching the TV off. Would watch a schoolboys Union game on TV ahead of any League game. For me 7s is one step above League in terms of watchability. But I'll still be glued to it when it's included in the olympics.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Born in Essendon Victoria played soccer and Aussie rules until the oldies moved to Logan City Queensland where I played soccer for about 3 more years but got the league bug & followed Manly because of Michael O'Conner. Then Steve Renouf came along & I would tape & just watch re-runs of Steve Renouf all day long. All I wanted to do after that was run holes & fend people.

Went & worked in America & met two poms who were mad Rugby Fans & it just happened to be 2001 when the Lions last toured, the poms were great to watch rugby with & they really explained the game well so it became easy to follow.

Don't watch any league at all these days & to be honest find league pretty boring.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Union. I only started watching state of origin a little recently for the big hits. I would love to be a league fan and following the roos It would be do easy. It's would be like being a all blanks fan. Hahah. But it's just to boring

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Quite amazing the amount of people not bought up on rugby who are now diehards.

I attended my first game at Ballymore aged 5 and half. Don't think I could ever support another team or love a sport as much as I do rugby. But like most Queenslanders, I love a bit of league, especially state of origin, which to me is just as important as reds games and wallaby tests. I cant bring myself to watch much NRL though. I find league entertaining when played at a high level (rep and nrl finals) as the players bring a bit more passion and skill into the games rather than just playing the percentages like they do in the vast majority of NRL games. Without the extra skill and passion league is too one dimensional for me.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Showing my age but league was the game at a public primary school in my day (6 stoners etc). Rugby was a club sport.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Union. I only started watching state of origin a little recently for the big hits. I would love to be a league fan and following the roos It would be do easy. It's would be like being a all blanks fan. Hahah. But it's just to boring
There's always AFL and surf-lifesaving.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Growing up I had a mixed bag of sports I followed and played. I grew up playing Soccer till I was 11 and was able to play Club and School rugby and gave up soccer when I hit middle school.

My old man's passion is for Union, but I can still remember watching the Broncos playing whilst growing up so I was able to appreciate both codes. So I find myself watching the odd league game on its "big" occasions. While I was able to enjoy the game for being fast paced, I never quite liked the idea of not being able to compete for the ball for essentially half of the time and players being able to come on and off the field.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
Started playing rugby in primary school (Catholic) but my dad was a North Sydney Bears fan so I all over that until they got shafted. Now I hate NRL because it isn't the same game I watched back then. Scrums an embarrassment. Dedicated Tahs fan now.
Probably worth mentioning I used to live next door to a former legendary Wallaby captain as well.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Showing my age but league was the game at a public primary school in my day (6 stoners etc). Rugby was a club sport.

This has really shaken the memory barrel.

I was part of an undefeated league team at my primary school in Matraville. The funny thing was we were in the 'under 4st 7lbs' comp.

lol ... it's pretty sad when my sporting 'glory days' date back to a time when I weighed less than 5 stone.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Interesting someone mentioned the idea of not dissing other codes, as it simply infuriates there fans and puts them off rugby. I recently looked at FIFA WC 2010's website (which was in S. Africa, rugby heartland) and all the profiles for the cities. The site fully acknowledged the rugby influence, with local rugby stars all over the WC website (Steyn, De Villiers, Steenkamp etc), the full bio on Loftus Versveld (named after the guy who organised rugby in the area). In my opinion (and FIFA's) it's an absolute neccessity that no code dissing goes on when converting. Otherwise you will be preaching to the converted.

Personally my favourite way of convincing people to come to Rugby games is to accompany them to their preferred code first. You learn a thing or too as well.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
My dad coached first grade at GPS in the late 70s and my earliest memories are going to Yoku Rd...

I remember getting on the piss at GPS games in the late 70s at Finsbury. What year did Jeeps move to Ashgrove, Nod?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Being a kiwi, played and followed union from a nipper, saw a bit of league early early eighties? Thought I could get into this game , never bothered watched a bit in 90s, and just went "League ,what the fuck!!", when do they anything? I can't even get interested in League tests, State of Origin etc, sorry to league fans, I not telling you to abandon game, but it's just not for me.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Rugby spectator from the beginning...what else are private school girls meant to do after Saturday Morning sport other than watch the boys play rugby, 3.15pm 1st XV :)
More seriously my Grandfather & Uncle were Drummoyne Dirty Reds.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Played rugby both with and against cyclopath from about under8s. For a couple of years I went to the "Manly-Warringah School", and so following the Sea Eagles during their glory years in the late 70s and early 80s. Then picked up rugby again at High School.

I reckon what sport your Dad follows would have a lot to do with what sports we follow when we're young.

These days I only ever watch rugby or NFL. I have no interest at all in cricket or league or AFL or soccer.

Reactions: DPK
Status
Not open for further replies.