• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SBW to the Stormers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
If I actually believed Anthony Mundine was capable of stringing a few sentences together I would have sworn he was posting as Brumbies Guy!

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Not really interested in what he did in the NRL, good or bad.

Can't fault what he's done so far, good player, entertaining I'd say his only bad decision is having Nasser as his agent.

He donated $100k to the Red Cross and good on him!

Video

This is just Nasser keeping his name in the paper, why on earth would he want to go play for the Stormers?

I can see why they'd want him though - given they have no idea where the try line is and win in multiples of 3!

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I can see why they'd want him though - given they have no idea where the try line is and win in multiples of 3!

Perhaps the Reds should look at him or someone else who might help them to stop conceding points in multiples of 5?

Ps. The 'free scoring' Reds have played 5, scored 8 tries. Stormers have played 4, scored 7 tries.

L

Lachlan

I think most people have the got the wrong idea about SBW. The common perception is that he's chasing the cash, a la Matt Giteau/JOC (James O'Connor). He isn't - his actions prove this time and time again. He isn't a team man either - although no one would accuse him of that. He has his own goals and reasoning behind his choices which aren't as obvious as trying to cash in at every turn. Whatever the case, I think he is marching to his own tune (perhaps with that agent of his bringing out the guitar and chipping in a solo here and there).

Either way, I kinda like the guy. Seems like a decent bloke who isn't afraid to piss people off by doing what he wants. Not a popular stance to take, but he knows what he has to offer and clearly doesn't mind ruffling a few feathers. I doubt he'll move to the Stormers anyway - that agent of his loves to spin shite in the media.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah my anger at SBW's lack of loyalty, constant changes and the never-ending 'SBW is in talks to sign with X' is directed firmly at that twat Nasser.

The saddest thing to me about SBW is that he could be a great in either Rugby or League. But his decisions have meant history will view him as merely a good player at both.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I think most people have the got the wrong idea about SBW. The common perception is that he's chasing the cash, a la Matt Giteau/JOC (James O'Connor). He isn't - his actions prove this time and time again. He isn't a team man either - although no one would accuse him of that. He has his own goals and reasoning behind his choices which aren't as obvious as trying to cash in at every turn. Whatever the case, I think he is marching to his own tune (perhaps with that agent of his bringing out the guitar and chipping in a solo here and there).

Either way, I kinda like the guy. Seems like a decent bloke who isn't afraid to piss people off by doing what he wants. Not a popular stance to take, but he knows what he has to offer and clearly doesn't mind ruffling a few feathers. I doubt he'll move to the Stormers anyway - that agent of his loves to spin shite in the media.

Lachlan - I like most of your post. I just think he's made a colossal fuck up from a PR point of view of appointing Nasser as his manager.

It's hard to argue with what either of you have said. To add to that, his close association with Mundine doesn't help his public perception either.

In terms of playing ability alone, I don't think any team in Super Rugby would not be stronger with him in their starting XV.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Isn’t there an issue with him signing with an NRL club given Nasser isn’t an accredited NRL agent? I struggle to see why he would go back to NRL, but if he does it would be hard to call him money hungry as I reckon he could make much more doing other things.

In saying all that, $BW shits me and I think the one year deals has become a part of his marketing strategy. The media lap it up as it gives them content year in year out. He wasn’t the best player is league nor is he the best player in rugby, yet he is probably the most covered sportsman in ANZ, often for superficial reasons that have been self generated by his entourage (such as this latest Stormers link).

He is a sporting mercenary, there is no other way to put it . You can’t fault his loyalty or commitment once he signs to do something, but at the same time you never know if he will be there next year and will never be a player you build a team around. I am far more supportive of those cornerstone players rather than those that opportunistically look to move around year on year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think so, Nasser, SBW, Politis and Gyngell were spotted having coffee, I doubt they were just catching up.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
You can’t fault his loyalty or commitment once he signs to do something, but at the same time you never know if he will be there next year and will never be a player you build a team around. I am far more supportive of those cornerstone players rather than those that opportunistically look to move around year on year.
agree 100%

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
My perception is that Khoder Nasser is a very shrewd operator who generates huge amounts of publicity and therefore income for his clients. I doubt he loses much sleep over not being loved or admired by the average punter.

And who is he working for? The general public or his clients?? They seem pretty happy.......

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
As a Stormers supporter I'd love to see youngsters like JdJ and JP du Plessis playing from his off loads. I wont underestimate his promotor Willem Strauss to bring him here. Willem has been pretty productive specially with the 7s at schoolboy level and growing rugby at grassroots level. He also helped Samoa and PI players in the past. Regarding publicy in SA, boxing use to be big around here and a rugby player like SBW can make a few in SA specially in Cape Town where he have tons of supporters. Time will tell.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
And who is he working for? The general public or his clients?? They seem pretty happy.......
But soon clubs won't have a bar of the one year signing and all the caveats (sponsors, boxing...) he is going to have to find a new type of contract.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sonny Bill to fight SA boxer
2012-03-30 07:54Email | Print

Cape Town - New Zealand rugby star and heavyweight boxer, Sonny Bill Williams, will fight South African heavyweight Danie Venter later this year.

Williams's agent, Khoder Nasser, told SAPA that a deal between Williams and Venter has been negotiated.

The venue for Willliams's fight with the 32-year-old-Venter, who represented South Africa at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney as a Light Heavyweight, is still unconfirmed.

Plans for Williams to fight SA's former world heavyweight champion, Francois Botha, is still on the go - but according to the Beeld newspaper it won't happen in November as initially hoped.

This comes news after it was confirmed on Thursday that Williams will be in action in an international sevens tournament, the 7'sPL, in George in December.

Williams, Welsh legend Shane Williams and Australia’s enigmatic flyhalf, Quade Cooper, will play for the NBM All Stars team.

The 7'sPL tournament, with prize money of R1 million, will see 12 teams, including some of the world’s best rugby players, in action.

The NBM All Stars are the first outfit to make a major announcement regarding the acquisition of players for the tournament.
TL_646096.jpg

Venter on the right.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So I assume the ARU must have approved Cooper playing in this tournament?
Supersport
Sevens tournament attracts rugby stars

29 March 2012, 15:28
Three of the biggest names in world rugby will be in action in an international sevens tournament, the 7's PL, in George in December.
All Black sensation Sonny Bill Williams, Welsh legend Shane Williams and Australia's enigmatic flyhalf, Quade Cooper, will play for the NBM All Stars team, the organisers confirmed on Thursday.
The 7'sPL tournament, with prize money of R1 million, will see 12 teams, including some of the world's best rugby players, in action.
The NBM All Stars are the first outfit to make a major announcement regarding the acquisition of players for the tournament.
Sports promoter Willem Strauss, who will manage the competition, said they had started negotiations with players and their employers for participation in the tournament.
“The tournament is the ideal opportunity for some of the world's best players to play in the sevens format,” Strauss said.
“It will give junior players in South Africa a pathway to play in the Olympic Games and it will give the people of George the opportunity to see some of the world's super stars in action.”
Cooper and Williams' agent, Khoder Nasser, was in Cape Town this week to seal the deal with Strauss and South African boxing promoter Tinus Strydom, who has ties in the tournament.
Strauss also confirmed that Shane Williams would join his Kiwi namesake and Cooper in the NBM All Stars team.
Williams and Cooper are two of the modern game's greatest drawcards and their involvement in the event is likely to see more international stars playing in the tournament.
Cooper was sidelined from all rugby after he suffered a knee injury during last year's World Cup third-place playoff against Wales.
The mercurial flyhalf was instrumental in the Reds' 2011 Super Rugby title-winning performance against the Crusaders.
He is set to make a return to the Reds in May, with the Queensland squad depleted by injuries this season.
The 7'sPL will also be a rare opportunity for fans to see Welsh great Shane Williams in the sevens format as his career winds down.
The 34-year-old will retire from all rugby in May and made his final bow in test rugby following Wales' defeat to Australia in Cardiff in December.
The prolific scorer boasts a record of 58 tries in 87 international matches and was crowned the International Rugby Board's player of the year in 2008.
The pocket-sized winger has caught many defenders off-guard over the span of his career with unpredictable darting and side-stepping runs.
Meanwhile, a deal was negotiated in which Sonny Bill Williams, who won the New Zealand heavyweight boxing title in February, would fight South African heavyweight Danie Venter later in the year, according to Nasser.

Status
Not open for further replies.