• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lachlan

Pretty baffling logic from the Tah's coaching staff. Taking a big strong 12 and replacing him with a smaller weaker one is just going to cause Barnes to kick the ball more... Sigh, good luck with this one Tah's fans, as much as I'd love to see you smash the Bulls you could be in for a turgid night.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
ooeee do we finally get o see the horne/ AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) center combo everyones been waiting all season for?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would like the see the Tahs make the most of our excellent forward pack and play a lot of pick and drive with good support play, quick ruck ball and runners one or two passes wide of the ruck.

We did it a lot against the Brumbies but seemed to abandon it after we'd made a lot of metres deciding that our backs needed a turn.

Executed well, I think the forward runners with good support play ARE good to watch and we have the ability to do it really well. As it is our obvious strength, I'd like to see us finally do something smart and stick with it and bash the opposition into submission. Pretorius and Barnes should have forward runners charging off each shoulder at every opportunity ready to take on the line.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Exactly.

Rocky Elsom is fresh as a daisy and will surely be the first Wallaby picked.

Dan Vickerman should be ready to be selected for the Rugby Championship. I don't think he will be quite well enough rested to play the June tests.

Capt_Funk

Bob McCowan (2)
I think we have to start Pretorius this week. McKibbin didn't have a good game against the Brumbies and Pretorius is long overdue for a start. He's too good to be getting less than 20 minutes a match.

i agree. mckibbin's goal kicking is an asset, but it's not enough of an asset to keep him in the team - in my opinion.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think McKibbin starting has been a bad thing. He has generally played really well except for the Brumbies game and his goal kicking has been superb.

With Pretorius being such a good player, it was always the case that as soon as McKibbin slipped at all, Pretorius had to get another go.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I don't think McKibbin starting has been a bad thing. He has generally played really well except for the Brumbies game and his goal kicking has been superb.

With Pretorius being such a good player, it was always the case that as soon as McKibbin slipped at all, Pretorius had to get another go.

I've mentioned before and I still maintain, he is a good player but he doesn't have great decision making. It's cost the Tahs points, I think Sarel for having a weaker pass actually has a far greater read of the game and therefore creates far more opportunities

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
OK peoples, Josh Mann-Rea? Tahs have signed him, so what do we know?

Acquitted himself well in the ARC IIRR, for East Coast Aces? Then headed os, last seen playing for Kyuden Voltex in Japan, listed in their 2011/12 squad. ex-Nudgee, might've played Australian Schoolboys, Lee's the expert on that one.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Drew Mitchell could make a shock return for the Waratahs
DREW Mitchell could make a shock early return to save NSW's ailing Super Rugby season - if the Waratahs can stay alive by beating the Bulls on Friday.
Mitchell has emerged as a strong chance to fly out with the Waratahs on their tour to South Africa on Saturday and potentially return from an ankle tendon injury a month ahead of schedule.
Sidelined for three months, the star winger recently began sprint training and will today undergo the first in a series of intensive sessions with physio staff to test the ankle.
Only a major setback this week would see Mitchell fail to tour, however. The goal is ramping up training and playing against the Stormers in Cape Town, or more likely the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein.
NSW have badly missed Mitchell's try-scoring "X factor" but the Tahs must beat the Bulls for his early return to make any impact on a possible finals push.

Knowing they will have to score points to beat the South African Conference leaders, the Tahs will make wholesale changes to their side, particularly in the backline.
Adam Ashley-Cooper will play his third position of the season at No.12, where he will partner Rob Horne. Ashley-Cooper last played in that spot for the Wallabies in 2008.
Fullback Bernard Foley remains a slim chance of returning from a shoulder injury, but otherwise Daniel Halangahu appears set to wear the No.15. Livewire halfback Sarel Pretorius is also likely to start.
The Bulls have averaged more than 30 points a game, but have also shown defensive frailty, conceding 30 points or more in three of their wins.
The Bulls beat the Brumbies 36-34 and last week beat the Rebels 41-35.
Such a bonus-points-for-everyone trend is a concern, and opportunity, for NSW.
"You have to score points to beat them (the Bulls)," five-eighth Berrick Barnes said. "There's no doubt about it ... they've got blokes [of] 130kg across the park; they're hard to stop.
"You have to score points but they have a side (who) have leaked their fair share."
The Tahs' forward pack will also see change, with Rocky Elsom to replace the battle-weary Dave Dennis at blindside breakaway.
Fit-again Chris Alcock will take back his No.7, while John Ulugia and Josh Mann-Rea will likely be the hookers, with Tatafu Polota-Nau still not "symptom free" after his double head-knock against the Brumbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.