• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pie Eater's, aka Greg Growden, new home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Friends,
You have to admit that without Growden's rumour mongering we'd be in the dark as to the present state of the battle to control the ARU.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And look, story spreading:

Forward thinking: McKenzie palms off criticism of Wallabies hopes

February 26, 2013​

Ewen McKenzie has brushed off suggestions the ARU has blacklisted him for the Wallabies coaching job because his former life as a prop means he knows nothing about running a backline.
A story on ESPN on Tuesday said McKenzie was next to no chance to take over from Robbie Deans, despite his impressive work with the Queensland Reds and widespread support from players and various administrators on both sides of the Tweed.
"If you read the quotes, you'll work out the depth of intelligence that came with that comment"

A senior ARU official, reportedly a key player in any future recruitment process, was quoted as saying McKenzie had no chance of getting the top job because of a perceived ignorance of backline play.

"As long as my backside is pointing to the ground, Ewen McKenzie will not coach Australia. You cannot have a front-row forward in charge of the Wallabies because they know nothing about backline play," the ARU source was reported as saying.
McKenzie misses little in preparing for matches and likewise in the media. He saw the story and said it was impossible to keep everybody happy in the cut-throat world of elite rugby.
"Obviously someone doesn't like me, but you find that when you travel around" he said.
"It's a bit like politics – you can't get everyone to like you. All I can do is rely on where I'm up to as a coach."
The suggestion McKenzie couldn't manage a world-class backline is beyond baffling, given the way the Reds have gone about their work since his arrival. Their free-running style was a feature of their 2011 run to the Super Rugby title.
"I don't worry about what I can and can't do from a coaching point of view," he said.
"I've been around long enough.
"If you read the quotes, you'll work out the depth of intelligence that came with that comment."
As it stands, McKenzie remains content in his position as director of coaching at the Reds, where he works with former Force coach Richard Graham in overseeing the rugby program.
Deans remains gainfully employed by the ARU but could potentially endure his most challenging season in charge, with a Lions tour added to the list of international fixtures. Poor results will put immense pressure on the ARU to introduce fresh ideas.
McKenzie said he didn't feel like he was going to pay the price for not playing the political game with powerbrokers in Sydney.
"There's no position to electioneer for. I'm pretty happy doing what I'm doing at the moment. That's about it. You read articles every day. It's a moment in time, someone's comment, it becomes yesterday's news and you talk about something else," he said.
McKenzie did manage to sneak in some rugby talk before the politics came into play, naming the Reds side to take on the Hurricanes on Friday in Brisbane.
Radike Samo returns to the bench after overcoming a knee injury and Aidan Toua replaces Mike Harris (bench) at fullback, with Quade Cooper taking over goal-kicking duties.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It would seem that Bill Pulver might have unintentionally - or perhaps bumblefootedly - narrowed the list of suspects in the search for who put the slows on Link as National coach:

"I have never heard anyone either inside the ARU executive or the ARU board make that comment," Pulver told The Australian yesterday. "That doesn't mean the comment wasn't made, by the way, it's just that I have never heard that comment."

Interestingly Scoop Growden never suggested the culprit was an ARU Executive or Board member. His references were to:

"A senior and influential ARU official has made it widely known that he does not want McKenzie as Test coach

"the ARU official, who will play a major role in determining who will be the next Wallabies coach

"This official has considerable support at ARU board level.

"this ARU powerbroker"

Note Scoop speaks about the official having "considerable support at ARU board level", not that he is a member of the Board.

Thanks for the tip, Bill. My first instinct was that it was someone very high up the food chain. It's a shame that young Waterhouse is not making book on the blabbermouth's identity..

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It would seem that Bill Pulver might have unintentionally - or perhaps bumblefootedly - narrowed the list of suspects in the search for who put the slows on Link as National coach:

"I have never heard anyone either inside the ARU executive or the ARU board make that comment," Pulver told The Australian yesterday. "That doesn't mean the comment wasn't made, by the way, it's just that I have never heard that comment."

Interestingly Scoop Growden never suggested the culprit was an ARU Executive or Board member. His references were to:

"A senior and influential ARU official has made it widely known that he does not want McKenzie as Test coach

"the ARU official, who will play a major role in determining who will be the next Wallabies coach

"This official has considerable support at ARU board level.

"this ARU powerbroker"

Note Scoop speaks about the official having "considerable support at ARU board level", not that he is a member of the Board.

Thanks for the tip, Bill. My first instinct was that it was someone very high up the food chain. It's a shame that young Waterhouse is not making book on the blabbermouth's identity..

But who is left? O'Neil gone, Carroll going, Nuci gone

It ain't that big an organisation and there ain't many high food chain units left

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
At the Rugby Club Business Networking evening, Growden was quite open that his "smokey" for the Wallaby coaching gig was indeed Jake White. I don't doubt he has some sources, but like any journo, was not going to go further and reveal them.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)

"A senior and influential ARU
official
has made it widely known that he does not want McKenzie as Test coach
Has he let the cat out of the bag? Are there many senior ARU officials who aren't on the board or executives? I guess it could have been Robbie :)

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Has he let the cat out of the bag? Are there many senior ARU officials who aren't on the board or executives? I guess it could have been Robbie :)

I think you may have been put off the scent by craftiness, p. Tah. Note that Bill Pulver did not claim that no one "either inside the ARU executive or the ARU board" made the statement. He was careful to state: I have never heard anyone ... make that comment." And he reiterated it: "I have never heard that comment."

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think you may have been put off the scent by craftiness, p. Tah. Note that Bill Pulver did not claim that no one "either inside the ARU executive or the ARU board" made the statement. He was careful to state: I have never heard anyone . make that comment." And he reiterated it: "I have never heard that comment."
and also that he wasnt saying that it was never made: i thought that was a bizarre, unnecessary addition.
Is he scare Growden will think he is implying that grumbles made it up? Worried that Growden will start white anting him?

Mullos

Stan Wickham (3)
It's like a car crash.I have absolutely no interest, but I can't help looking.
That's two minutes of my life, I am never getting back.
But I swear I will never read his tosh again.

Im a bit like that too but i won't read any post-game analysis from the fat pie man.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But the Waratahs will be shocked to learn of one big name currently peering at the exit door because he doesn't believe he is being treated well. It also may have something to do with the Wallabies forcing him to constantly back up when he is not 100 per cent fit; this inspirational figure, for good reason, is now looking overseas.

Sounds like TPN.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Sounds like TPN.

Do you have the stats for Moore's starts versus TPN's this year? I thought Moore was usually the one riding the bench but I honestly can't remember.

"After some silly antics, including that crazy Melbourne rooftop photo that included several Wallabies frolicking, the ARU are muttering about a new code of conduct being instituted. Some provinces are for it, others are asking why, and one may not even know about it. Others are deeply concerned that one ARU figure is going alone and moving on the matter without "proper consultation". This issue will become heated, and will act as a further hurdle between the ARU and the provinces."

This is a joke right? How out of touch are the ARU that of all things, that photograph is grounds for a new code of conduct. How disconnected are the ARU from Australian rugby and reality in general? Or is this just some more sensationalist journalism?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Do you have the stats for Moore's starts versus TPN's this year? I thought Moore was usually the one riding the bench but I honestly can't remember.

I assume you mean last year? TPN started more than Moore. I think it's TPN because he regularly plays the next week for the Wallabies after heavy knocks and never seems to get rested yet he often misses games for the Tahs.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I assume you mean last year? TPN started more than Moore. I think it's TPN because he regularly plays the next week for the Wallabies after heavy knocks and never seems to get rested yet he often misses games for the Tahs.

Yeah I always wondered how the hell he was even in the squad after he knocked himself out for the third or fourth time last year, and yes I meant last year. If there's anyone in Australian rugby who I worry about being the poster-boy for early onset dementia it is TPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.