• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Aus vs NZ - 1st Test Sydney 17Aug2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My stab at the team:

Slipper
Moore
Kepu
Horwill
Simmons
Fardy
Gill
Mowen
Genia
To'omua
JOC (James O'Connor)
Leali'ifano
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau
Mogg

Sio, Alexander, Fainga'a, Hooper, MMM, White, Cooper, Kuridrani

If there is any reality in the leaks then I think you have just about got the team Link will announce.

My preference though would be to go with the whole Brumbies' front row (they were the dominant Aus scrum notwithstanding the Poite shambles against the Lions), Scott Fardy in place of Simmons, MMM at 6 (these two to try to match the ABs' forwards strength), Hooper for Gill (for extra attacking flair without diminishing defence), and Cummins for JOC (James O'Connor) (don't believe JOC (James O'Connor)'s form or attitude warrant a start). Only one of Cooper/JOC (James O'Connor) on the bench as well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Iain Payten

1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill ©
6. Hugh McMeniman
7. Michael Hooper
8. Ben Mowen
9. Will Genia
10. Matt To'omua*
11. James O’Connor
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Israel Folau
15. Jesse Mogg

Res: Saia Fainga'a, Scott Sio, Sekope Kepu, Scott Fardy, Liam Gill, Nic White, Quade Cooper, Tevita Kuridrani.

No Cummins would be the biggest disappointment imo.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
I think I'd probably start Gill over Hooper as well (can't believe I said that) but I can be reasonably happy with the team that's being rumoured to play. I'm pretty pumped for this match...I think we're in with a pretty good chance. Blind optimism maybe, but I reckon this could be our year :p

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm keen to see MMM but am a bit worried about him at 6 and whether he has the pace to excel in that position at test level still.

Messam is far more mobile and could potentially cause us problems there.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm keen to see MMM but am a bit worried about him at 6 and whether he has the pace to excel in that position at test level still.

Messam is far more mobile and could potentially cause us problems there.

Can't argue with that, it probably points toward the Australian pack playing tighter more pick and drive based rugby than New Zealand. For all this talk of playing the Australian way, heads up rugby etc I think for the first 50 minutes we'll see a lot of picking and driving, mauls and forwards boshing it up the middle. All in all just a similar plan to how the Reds combated the Chiefs.

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm pretty pumped for this match.I think we're in with a pretty good chance. Blind optimism maybe, but I reckon this could be our year :p

At least when Link coaching you can be a little optimistic.... with Dingo.... mate you knew more pain was coming.... Agree though think the kiwis feathers are a bit ruffled... Bet they all expected QC (Quade Cooper) to start - To'omua shaping to be the obvious choice with QC (Quade Cooper) magic off the bench if required...

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Emuarse, you're talking through that part of your anatomy mentioned in your nom de plume. I invite you to take the trouble to go back over past posts and you'll see that I have always been a Quade supporter, even in the dark days of toxic environments. I have also acknowledged that he has improved his defensive efforts especially in this year's Super comp, with particular mention of his effort to stop Rene Ranger at about the same time that JOC (James O'Connor) was totally monstered by that same player. But, there is no way that anyone can say that Quade's defence is any more than adequate at test level, nor was it in the same class as Matt To'omua's.

I would like to point out that my post was about JOC (James O'Connor) never playing 10, it was not anti-Quade. I resent the claim of bigotry and think that you have done yourself a very large disservice by making it.

Part of your post actually said "It is more essential that Quade learn to defend effectively at 10 for a whole game".

If this isn't derogatory then what is? But that's not the point. Your remark follows on from others (hence "you guys"), that are continually lambasting Cooper for his lack of tackling ability, which for a fly half, is at an acceptable level, especially when taken into the context of his overall game.
I do appreciate that you were in comparison mode, but it didn't read like that, especially after all the cynical remarks that have been made already in this thread, by others.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Well, now the team is out and weeks of speculation are over.

Those who look at the results of Super teams and make a forensic comparison of the number of players each team "gets" in the national team will be happier than they have been.

There is always a lot of interest invested when a new coach is appointed because his first matchday team is usually a watershed in some way.

Likewise, the selection of a brand-new flyhalf has everybody agog, even though such an event was predicted.

Like others I have doubts about some selection matters: a prop missing I thought should be there, a lock starting who shouldn't be, and an a winger who would badger his opponents, absent—but I don't doubt that Link and his pals know more about these matters than I do.

But new team or old team the old rugby truths will prevail.

The scrums, lineouts and restarts will be as important as they ever were and the willingness of the forwards to "show up" in contact occasions, and the quality and effect when they do so, will be much more important than the names of the backs listed in the programme.

Teams often perform better when there is a new coach on board, and whilst that is puzzling to some, it is what it is.

Let's hope that we see that on Saturday night.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Hansen has had his say on the Wobs selections at 10 to keep things fun. Seems he was going easy on poor Robbie. Looking forward to the reply.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Those guys are carriers Nick, but I've never seen any of them really threaten the line.

I don't want them to threaten the line - I want them to break through it. What about MMM isn't threatening enough? He's easily broken sure, but he makes metres.

Do you agree with the other bloke above that Hooper is the only "threat"?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Kind of. I'm not sure we have anyone in the squad that can solve the problem, but we will certainly miss Palu and Higgers in this regard.

When have you ever seen MMM, Simmons, Horwill or Mowen break the line?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Kind of. I'm not sure we have anyone in the squad that can solve the problem, but we will certainly miss Palu and Higgers in this regard.

When have you ever seen MMM, Simmons, Horwill or Mowen break the line?

Mowen seems to break the line against NZ opposition, but not RSA opposition.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Hansen doesn't give a hoot. And I like that the 'foxing' hasn't worked. Though it may be better to decide that after the game than before.

From the NZ Herald

Steve Hansen isn't bothered by Ewen McKenzie's mind games.
In the lead up to this weekend's opening Rugby Championship encounter between the All Blacks and Australia in Sydney, new Wallabies' coach McKenzie has tried to keep everybody guessing by not giving a clear indication on who his five-eighth will be.
Many thought when he replaced Robbie Deans as head coach of Australia he would reprise his Queensland Reds' connection with Kiwi-born pivot Quade Cooper but it appears Brumbies first-five Matt To'omua is shaping as the likely candidate. Waratahs 23-year-old Bernard Foley is also in the Australian squad.
If McKenzie's foxing was intended to put Hansen off his game, it hasn't worked.
This morning Hansen named his side for Saturday's encounter at ANZ Stadium and was asked if McKenzie's secrecy had been mentally challenging.
"I actually think the better question would be, is he mentally challenged that he doesn't know which five-eighth he wants to pick?'' Hansen said.
"He's in a difficult situation isn't he? Because I'm imagining when Robbie Deans wasn't picking Quade Cooper he was probably saying `I'll pick you Quade, I'll pick you' and our information is telling us he's going to pick the other bloke [To'omua]. Now, there's two reasons why he wouldn't want to tell them. One: He's not sure himself. Or, two: He doesn't think they can cope with the pressure of being out there in public too early. So he's not affecting us. It doesn't bother me a hoot who they play.''

Status
Not open for further replies.