• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
If the money is that low then there needs to be a far greater focus on education.

If kids are leaving high school and making decisions around earning five to ten thousand dollars then they clearly should have been educated better at high school.

It's not necessarily about the money. Well, not immediately at that age. It's about the opportunity to participate in a high level competition where you can be seen.

Fitzo

Frank Row (1)
It's amusing that RL fans think the fact Union chases RL stars proves they are superior players. The fact is that these players are great athletes regardless of the sport. It's not like guys like SBW, Burgess, Folau, Benji are average league players. They are the superstars of the sport. Lesser players like Willie Mason were complete flops. It's as if they are so conditioned to hate RU that when a star leaves their code to play RU they come up with every reason they can think of why it is not a bad thing instead of facing the fact it is a massive loss e.g. x player is past it, x player is bad for team chemistry, x player is all about the money etc.

I'm sure Folau could cut it as a RB or WR (World Rugby) in the NFL, this doesn't prove NRL players are superior athletes to NFL players, just that Folau is a great athlete. Fifita and JWH were in junior Super Rugby squads, If they stayed in Union then League fans would say they are shit athletes but as soon as they become stars in the NRL then they are magically proof League players are superior. JWH didn't even play any league growing up, not sure about Fifita.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Just as a matter of interest - how many adults play league (as amateurs) for fun? None.

Ironically enough this is actually a thing in the USA, my local team. Not that I know how good they are, if you count the universities here the Fight (and I guess you could count the Doylestown Sharks in too) are outnumbered somewhere around 7 or 8:1 by Rugby clubs.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Ironically enough this is actually a thing in the USA, my local team. Not that I know how good they are, if you count the universities here the Fight (and I guess you could count the Doylestown Sharks in too) are outnumbered somewhere around 7 or 8:1 by Rugby clubs.

I was talking about Australia. There is a tradition of amateur rugby league in England, but not here.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I was talking about Australia. There is a tradition of amateur rugby league in England, but not here.

..And I was making a comment about the irony that a minnow nation has an amateur scene where (according to you) the world giant in the game doesn't.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I don't know about fully amateur Wamberal, but grass roots rugby league is probably far bigger in Australia than Rugby Union.

Rugby league has never been amateur, though, has it? Money (or the possibility of it) is number one. That is the point I was making. Even at the grass roots, nobody plays for fun, it is deadly serious. Whereas a lot of people play park rugby for the fun and fellowship of it all. A huge cultural difference.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rugby league has never been amateur, though, has it? Money (or the possibility of it) is number one. That is the point I was making. Even at the grass roots, nobody plays for fun, it is deadly serious. Whereas a lot of people play park rugby for the fun and fellowship of it all. A huge cultural difference.

This seems like the sort of sweeping generalisation that The Rock would have made (except in reverse).

I've had a few friends play rugby league as adults. It was no more or less serious than subbies rugby.

They definitely weren't getting paid either.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah, it was a sweeping generalisation.
But it wasn't far wrong.
I also have known hundreds of guys who played League for no money.Although I can't think of anyone of those guys who was in a team where no one was paid.
It is just part of their culture,generally speaking.

T

Train Without a Station

Even in subbies rugby players get paid. May not be every team in each comp, but I'd say you'd struggle to find a single comp, where there aren't players getting paid.

To say any level below Premier Rugby is any different to the levels below Q/NSW Cup is misleading and taking payments of "a pie and a coke" far too seriously.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This seems like the sort of sweeping generalisation that The Rock would have made (except in reverse).

I've had a few friends play rugby league as adults. It was no more or less serious than subbies rugby.

My experiences are apparently different to your experiences. As for The Rock, I think it is insulting to be compared to that half-wit, frankly.

We all generalise, to some extent, from our own experiences. When I was young I played junior rugby league, and the whole ethos was totally different to the junior rugby teams that I played in.

One code signs kids up at the age of 14, and it is not rugby. That tells me all that I need to know about their attitude to the sport, and is consistent with my experiences.

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
My experiences are apparently different to your experiences. As for The Rock, I think it is insulting to be compared to that half-wit, frankly.

We all generalise, to some extent, from our own experiences. When I was young I played junior rugby league, and the whole ethos was totally different to the junior rugby teams that I played in.

One code signs kids up at the age of 14, and it is not rugby. That tells me all that I need to know about their attitude to the sport, and is consistent with my experiences.
NRL are not allowed to sign a kid before 15 years, so get your facts straight, most of you have No Idea what goes on in the NRL but go on by Gossip or Rumors !! Nasty, Nasty, Nasty, I am so upset !! Lol Gee some of you are really Bitter and Twisted and so One Eyed ! I am sure if your little Jonny got a nice little Contract with the NRL, you would be thinking differently. A lot of Jealousy on here With so much Nastiness, I can understand now why parents are pulling their kids out of the Weekend Club Rugby Competitions in the droves and putting them into League. Most parents tell me Most of the Rugby Folk are a Bunch of Snobs and are Rude and too much Politics involved. I can see what they mean now Lol. Your not doing your code any justice in the PR Department, the way some of you carry on, you need to grow up and get a life,too many Key Board Warriors here ! Everyone is entitled to an opinion on here that's why its a forum. No Wonder Rugby is Struggling in this Country Big Time, to many Half-Wits involved !

Attachments

• 1391703_662614933772993_49442579_n.jpg
    1391703_662614933772993_49442579_n.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 256
T

TOCC

NRL are not allowed to sign a kid before 15 years, so get your facts straight, most of you have No Idea what goes on in the NRL but go on by Gossip or Rumors !! Nasty, Nasty, Nasty, I am so upset !! Lol Gee some of you are really Bitter and Twisted and so One Eyed ! I am sure if your little Jonny got a nice little Contract with the NRL, you would be thinking differently. A lot of Jealousy on here With so much Nastiness, I can understand now why parents are pulling their kids out of the Weekend Club Rugby Competitions in the droves and putting them into League. Most parents tell me Most of the Rugby Folk are a Bunch of Snobs and are Rude and too much Politics involved. I can see what they mean now Lol. Your not doing your code any justice in the PR Department, the way some of you carry on, you need to grow up and get a life,too many Key Board Warriors here ! Everyone is entitled to an opinion on here that's why its a forum. No Wonder Rugby is Struggling in this Country Big Time, to many Half-Wits involved !

This is a genuine question, is English your first language?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Not in all cases but sadly you speak some hard truths.

Fellas, might be an idea just to take the personal insults out of your posts and keep the discussion civil.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Not in all cases but sadly you speak some hard truths.

Fellas, might be an idea just to take the personal insults out of your posts and keep the discussion civil.

seriously?

not too sure there are that many insults, most of us are trying to understand what he is even saying.

THEN there might be insults, but we gotta know before we go surely.

And he, an obvious league guy (which is fine) comes on here and starts bagging the shit out of us and our game. Why does he not just shove off and do it on a league forum? (not that he bothers me too much, he is without too much overt antagonism)

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
I'll take a bite on The Rocks bait. My cousin was a recent captain of South Sydney and a premiership winning player at Easts, which in Rocks view might give me some cred.
My nephew was signed up by a league club at 15, two years after entering an agreement along with his parents to accept regular payments for special dietary requirements. (In view of the ASADA affair I must add that the dietary requirements were strictly a balanced diet provided by the club dietician in order for the nephew to grow strong with a fair muscle cover during his 14/15 year growth spurt.)
He was from outside a small country town, and it was expected that he would move to a specified school for the last two or so years of school so he could receive coaching and advanced physical training under a supervised diet, whilst playing U16 and U18 competitions. It was expected that he would move on to the national U20 competition after school.
At 17 he was injured, and then homesickness, distaste for city life, and all the things that can affect a youth from the bush caused him to return home. By then the local RL club (like a number of them locally) had folded so RU or soccer were the only options. He took up Union but only very socially, and retired from the game at about 26.
Rugby Union in the central west and northern riverina is booming, albeit at a very amateurish level of play among the smaller towns. RL on the other hand is dying, such that there are at least twice as many defunct clubs as functioning ones, and those that do function are struggling, teetering on bankruptcy, relying on imported players (paid) that do not return anything like enough through the gates to pay their way.