• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
True, but that was long ago and league have developed them to what they are today.

Wasn't that long ago. And I'd hate to burst that little bubble but there's a whole swathe of "league talent" that before the age of 18 were playing the 15 man game.

Most coaches will tell you that the key skills development phase occurs well before 18 where physical conditioning becomes more important. So, in conclusion. Many NRL stars have Rugby to thank for their development including the two you listed.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Generally I agree. But I'm waiting for him to realise that the two examples in Fifita and Hargreaves that he's used were Rugby juniors.

Actually they were both rugby seniors, they played at a senior level before switching. JWH actually played in the ARC (mostly on the bench, it has to be admitted).

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
Wasn't that long ago. And I'd hate to burst that little bubble but there's a whole swathe of "league talent" that before the age of 18 were playing the 15 man game.

Most coaches will tell you that the key skills development phase occurs well before 18 where physical conditioning becomes more important. So, in conclusion. Many NRL stars have Rugby to thank for their development including the two you listed.

Not long ago, it was at school and Fifita played league before he played some union and Hardgreaves went straight to league not long after. A lot of League players did not go to Rugby schools but went through the CHS System, so your wrong there.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not long ago, it was at school and Fifita played league before he played some union and Hardgreaves went straight to league not long after. A lot of League players did not go to Rugby schools but went through the CHS System, so your wrong there.

Believe it or not, a lot of CHS schools (particularly academically selective schools) play rugby union. Very few, if any, academically selective schools play rugby league. I wonder why?

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
Believe it or not, a lot of CHS schools (particularly academically selective schools) play rugby union. Very few, if any, academically selective schools play rugby league. I wonder why?

a few might but the majority play league as first preference and when they leave school they get further developed by league, as the NRL Clubs pick the talented ones up, sign them and continue training them. If Fafita and Hargreaves were playing union and never played league, they wouldn't be the talent they are today as they wouldn't have the skills that league have helped them to achieve and thats why rugby are after them now.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
geez I love the breadth of humanity on display on forums! It is truly fascinating.

So, and I expect an answer Rock, would it be fair to conclude that if the shoe were on the other foot, namely league poaching from union, then you would think league is funny?

By grabbing, you mean the squirrel grip right? I wonder who are the exponents of that fine art?

Couple that with your predeliction of viewing beefy blokes with no shirt on, kinda interesting methinks.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Arguing with The Rock:

tumblr_mk3pf8cAaK1rhq6f9o1_500.gif

Reactions: BDA

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
geez I love the breadth of humanity on display on forums! It is truly fascinating.

So, and I expect an answer Rock, would it be fair to conclude that if the shoe were on the other foot, namely league poaching from union, then you would think league is funny?

By grabbing, you mean the squirrel grip right? I wonder who are the exponents of that fine art?

Couple that with your predeliction of viewing beefy blokes with no shirt on, kinda interesting methinks.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

The NRL If they wanted players they would only be interested in the outside backs and not the forwards.
And as far as the Squirrel Grip goes, I am not happy with that, no need for dirty play in any code, but the union don't seem to care as they want him. You like the Beefy Blokes, do you ?You said its kinda interesting me thinks.. Hmmm. You might like Gorgeous Rose then !

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
Arguing with The Rock:

tumblr_mk3pf8cAaK1rhq6f9o1_500.gif

Hahahaha, But I'm the Bigger Guy, the other one is too short. That's Tommy Raudonikis the face-slapping antics employed during his days at Western Suburbs, what another great League Moment !!! Just too many to mention ;)

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
oh, is SB a squirrel gripper? had no idea, have never seen him play.

maybe that was an own goal!:(

and god knows who gorgeous george is?

But answer the question, do you think league would be 'funny' if they poached union players.

The Rock

Ward Prentice (10)
oh, is SB a squirrel gripper? had no idea, have never seen him play.

maybe that was an own goal!:(

and god knows who gorgeous george is?

But answer the question, do you think league would be 'funny' if they poached union players.[/quote
It doesn't really worry me, but if league did and its very rare they would, it would only be an outside back and the NRL have plenty of them, as the forwards are too slow and unfit. Everyone knows the NRL's Gorgeous George Rose. there would be plenty of Squirrel Grips going on in Mauls of rugby at some stage. I love watching a fast game of rugby but too many stoppages and to much kick, kick and kick are painful ! And too may Dickheads running it !