• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahrahXV

Frank Row (1)
My prediction for next year:

SEC
PADUA
SPC
ASHGROVE
SPLC
IONA
VILLANOVA
LAURIES

I find it hard to rule Ashgrove of being outside the top three or two, despite the run on team this year only having one regular Grade 11 player the quality that the rest of the boys have shown in the 16A competition, as well as a fair few boys taking up regular bench positions for the 1st XV, can be seen to show the quality of boys coming through.

As well as this, it always seems that the Ashgrove boys, no matter whether they are the most skilled team or not, will not go down easily and display a deep pride in the Golden jersey to get the win against the odds.

I can however see both Padua and SEC continue to be strong and will definitely be tough competition throughout the year next year. I also question the ability of Pats, given their lack of depth which is often called upon during a season.

Jack Reigh

Frank Row (1)
Good Luck to Pats on the weekend since they haven't had a win at runcorn in many recent years and a fire driven Lauries team to end the season and schoolboy rugby on a High. Lauries by 7+

The Queen

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone know who is winning the 2nds compitition?

i know that both Eddies and Villa's 2nds have yet to win a game and these weekend will provide a fight for the wooden spoon in what has been anticipated to be the best game of AIC rugby all year.

Get your facts right. I believe St Edmonds 2nd XV have defeated St Peter's 2nd XV by 7 points a few rounds back. Eddies tipped as favourites for this one but a strong home crowd may get the Villa 2nds there first victory alot to play for in this one.

aussieschoolboys

Frank Nicholson (4)
if you had any idea what lauries has been through this year you would not be talking……, 4 players injured early season, 3 Key players out for lack of discipline 2 being backs and 1 forward. there would be wins up for the team considering 5 of the 7 played firsts last year.

Mate cut that language and attitude out. In all fairness it has been a disgraceful season for SLC. With a proud rugby history and 8 past wallabies you would expect them to upheld their standard. I'm aiming this at the 3 students who thought they were above all. What gives them the right to think their better then a prestigious school that is 99 years old. This has been the fourth year in a row SLC 1st XV has been in the lower end of the competition.

I'm completely fine with the coaches decision, but maybe they need someone else for a new start?

aussieschoolboys

Frank Nicholson (4)
How are Laurie's 15 A's going? Laurie's 16 A's aren't anything flashy and I believe they're not going to well.

I think it's time to start a new thread for next years AIC competition.

Jack Reigh

Frank Row (1)
Mate cut that language and attitude out. In all fairness it has been a disgraceful season for SLC. With a proud rugby history and 8 past wallabies you would expect them to upheld their standard. I'm aiming this at the 3 students who thought they were above all. What gives them the right to think their better then a prestigious school that is 99 years old. This has been the fourth year in a row SLC 1st XV has been in the lower end of the competition.

I'm completely fine with the coaches decision, but maybe they need someone else for a new start?

All I see in the forums are posts bagging Lauries when nobody has no bloody clue whats been happening, Should of won against Iona but ref disallowed 2 Tries in the dying minutes... other close games with Ashgrove being 7-12 at halftime, 3 injuries to key plays saw ashgrove run away with 2 tries in 10 minutes. They have not been a bad team just down on luck and bad coaching decisions with last years fullback being changed to flyhalf with the replacement incapable of making tackles, breaks 90% of the time lead to tries because the defensive skills are nowhere to be seen. If the coaches would watch the game and see he is incapable of the position the season would of been alot different.

The Queen

Bob McCowan (2)
All I see in the forums are posts bagging Lauries when nobody has no bloody clue whats been happening, Should of won against Iona but ref disallowed 2 Tries in the dying minutes. other close games with Ashgrove being 7-12 at halftime, 3 injuries to key plays saw ashgrove run away with 2 tries in 10 minutes. They have not been a bad team just down on luck and bad coaching decisions with last years fullback being changed to flyhalf with the replacement incapable of making tackles, breaks 90% of the time lead to tries because the defensive skills are nowhere to be seen. If the coaches would watch the game and see he is incapable of the position the season would of been alot different.

Mate if you think SLC are the only team with badluck I can assure you that you are incorrect. Just look at Villanova had 6 out for one game and have been on the end of a few harsh game changing calls. Along with SPC who rode some luck to defeat Ashgrove in round one. You win some you lose some, you have to give yourself the best opportunity to create luck. If your using this as an excuse for all of SLC's 6 losses then your nothing but a whinger. Each team has some good and some bad luck along with injuries.

Mr.Footy

Bob McCowan (2)
It's a sad weekend gentlemen, it marks the beginning of the end. This round will be the last of the 2014 AIC season and trust me when I say, it will be difficult to say goodbye to the outstanding season and performances of this year. Though this may be true, lets focus on the tantalizing games of footy we have on this weekend. So, for the last time, shall we?

Villa vs SEC - St Edmunds by 17
Destruction is a word I think of when considering the result of this game. St Edmunds have well and truly secured the premiership and will love nothing more than to finish the season on a resounding performance displaying their true dominance as the best AIC team of 2014. As well as this, a strong showing in AIC 1 will definitely boost their confidence even further. I can see Villa going into this match hoping to be the only team to beat St Edmunds and trying to finish their season well but I unfortunately do not see it turning out well for the boys in green.

Ashgrove vs SPLC - Ashgrove by 12
3 Years, that is how long it has been since the mighty blue and gold first XV won against St Peters. In the last two years, the red and white have been known for their speed and agility in the outside backs and brut in the forward pack. However, this year has been very different, apart from the inside centre, the backs have lacked flair. This could be a result of the forwards not providing nice, quick ball. Ashgrove have looked extremely damaging in their last couple of games, especially in the forwards and I expect that will continue for the last game of the season. I am pretty sure that every player is in year 12, therefore meaning that they will play their last game at home for Marist. I predict that the Marist forward pack will be far too difficult to handle. I will be heading out to the game and suggest you do too.

Padua vs Iona - Padua by 10
Great match up here, Padua have lost two in a row and after copping a considerable defeat, Iona are also on the back foot. Both teams will be looking to finish the season on a high. I can't imagine Padua ending the season on a 3 game losing streak. Iona have been a very different side to last year and have lacked confidence with the ball in hand. Padua will jump on mistakes and aim to finish strongly.

SPC vs SLC - SLC by 7
I'm going to do it again and for the last time, St Laurences will win this weeks game, I mean they have to. I personally cannot remember the last time an AIC team went 0-7 in the season (anyone know of a team that has done this?). Pats will hope to get over the line in this one but I feel that the sheer will to win one game in the season will drive Laurie's over the line. Interesting to see if Pats will display the type of attacking footy they displayed in round 1. Seems like a great match up and would definitely recommend the trip out to view the spectacle.

It's been a pleasure gents, and until next year.

As Always, Keep Learning
Your teacher, Mr Footy.

call-an-ambo

Bob McCowan (2)
Turned up halfway through the first half. Hard to say if there were any Villa standouts, since they were starved of ball. Their defence was poor. Also watched the Lauries seconds beat Padua's seconds 25-21. Lauries 2nds are a fine unit, which makes me wonder how their 1sts produce such dismal results.

Did you think much of the seconds rows from villa? 1 of them came back from a shoulder injury and has been playing some really nice football even though villa hasnt won a game yet.

Also the number 10? he makes every tackle and runs it up hard

anaicplayer

Frank Row (1)
Did you think much of the seconds rows from villa? 1 of them came back from a shoulder injury and has been playing some really nice football even though villa hasnt won a game yet.

Stop talking yourself up tom schouten

Dale Upton

Bob McCowan (2)
I have tried to see as many 16as games as I could so I could get a taste of the next years 1sts. Very good season from most of the teams with some very skilled players in the mix. I have noticed that there has not been many summaries of the 16as so I thought I’ll give it a crack, I’ll also try to mention standout players (from what I’ve seen) here I go:
Ashgrove-
Outstanding season from the Blue and Gold with not losing a game so far, the forward pack being spectacular in the breakdowns and the tight 5 being ruthless with running of 10 making vital metres also having ruthless defence around the ruck, the Ashgrove backs are also good firsts material with executing moves with speed and meaning, lot of heart in this team and I would love to see them go undefeated. (I have not seen enough of their games to point out stand out players)
SEC-
Another great squad who are quite a skilled team, just a well drilled team who punished SPLC and SLC. A tight knit forward pack barely making any areas and letting the 9 get quick ball to the backs. I would have to say that the 8 and the 2 from the forwards would be the stand outs from the forwards, and the 10 and the 12 being standouts from the backs, very good season from these boys who I guess are going to be very successful next year.

SPC-
I would have to say that SPC did well this season surprisingly, with the backline making numerous mistakes. But the forward back being the complete opposite, being aggressive in there play punishing the other forwards in the competition, I would have to say from what I’ve seen they are absolute hard nuts, bit over eccentric (bit grubby) but non the less and good forward back, I would have to say the standouts would be the two locks and the 2 centres who are brutal defenders and ball runner. I would also like to add that the halfback was a skilled ballplayer who would do great things at fly-half. This side looks very Opens ready, best of luck to them.
Iona-
Not the season that the boys from Wynnum wanted, I thought they could have been premiership contenders this year but maybe luck just wasn’t on their side. I thought that they were a very skilled side with hard running backs and a good forward pack to pummel the defence. I have to admit that I saw none of their games so I can’t mention any standouts
Villa-
Unlucky for the Villa boys with only 2 wins from the season but a could be win this Saturday, I would have to say this isn’t one of the strongest sides from Villa with Peters winning their first ever game against them. But I would have to say that forwards let them down this season getting trampled in the rucks and mauls, my standouts would be the 3 loosies. Unlucky season boys, best of luck for next year.
SPLC-
Not recognised as a good rugby team at all but still managed to hold their own against much bigger and better opposition. Congrats to the side who have won their first ever game in AIC, I heard that backs let them down with many handling errors. Heard it was a half-decent forward pack with standout players being both locks, and the number 8, going to be interesting next year, best of luck.
SLC-
Last but not least, the might Black and gold, not the season the boys wanted, with not winning a single match, forwards just simply got ran over and the backs got outplayed with ease, don’t really know what’s going on with the SLC coaching staff but that is there issue, hopefully we will see the best of these young boys next year.

Very good season from all the schools with my young talents popping up everywhere, I am sorry for my lack of knowledge of the season but I tries at least, feel free to leave suggestion and/or corrections, best of luck for your last games before Opens and good luck to all the year 12s as their final game for their school, play hard boys.
Best of luck

Dale

Koty30832

Allen Oxlade (6)
Good Luck to Pats on the weekend since they haven't had a win at runcorn in many recent years and a fire driven Lauries team to end the season and schoolboy rugby on a High. Lauries by 7+

Yeah might be the year of upsets for pats beating ashgrove at home for the first time in 60 years. And may just give SLC a bit of TLC

Gary Smith

Stan Wickham (3)
I'm expecting to see a cracker battle of the Forwards for the SEC v Villa game, both sides have 3 players each in the starting AIC 1 forward pack. And It'll be interesting to see the match up between Torpy and Mcnulty. Any thoughts?

Fencesitter11

Stan Wickham (3)
Have done the stats on AIC and Chairman's teams (similar to the GPS thread)- based on wins/losses - not perfect but most teams are pretty much spot on the numbers they have in (give or take one) except for SLC who are over represented (on wins they would have none but I have allowed for a couple) and SPLC who are under represented based on their 3 wins. Given all the talk about 'star' backs at SPLC yet only one was selected. I know there is alot of discussion on individuals v teams in selections and I don't profess to know the answer - just another viewpoint on the selection.

Jenkins9876

Herbert Moran (7)
Below is the table for Aggregate Points heading into this Saturday's matches... Interesting to see the overall results. Pats doing better than some may have expected, Eddies not as well. Villa the biggest shock here for me. Pats in particular have gone from 7th in 2012 to potentially 4th this year if they bode well against Lauries on Saturday.

1st MCA 122
2nd PAD 88
3rd IONA 80
4th SPC 60
5th SLC 49
6th SEC 44
7th SPLC 34
8th VILLA 27

Mike_Union

Bob McCowan (2)

The standout in the villa forward pack is definitely their open side flanker. He has reserved for the first and ran on against Pats? Without him the 2ndXV forward pack would fall to bits. No other standouts in the team.

IDMSportmedia

Herbert Moran (7)
Below is the table for Aggregate Points heading into this Saturday's matches. Interesting to see the overall results. Pats doing better than some may have expected, Eddies not as well. Villa the biggest shock here for me. Pats in particular have gone from 7th in 2012 to potentially 4th this year if they bode well against Lauries on Saturday.

1st MCA 122
2nd PAD 88
3rd IONA 80
4th SPC 60
5th SLC 49
6th SEC 44
7th SPLC 34
8th VILLA 27

Major Changes need to be implemented to the 13's year level of SEC loosing 6/6 games this year. And predicted to lose this weekend against Villanova.

SEC Champions

Frank Row (1)
My tips for the weekend

SEC vs Villanova

Villanova by 10
They will be looking to upset the table toppers and end there season on a high at home.

Padua vs Iona

Padua by 18
They will be looking to win back some respect after starting the season so strong and fading slightly

Ashgrove vs peters

Peters by 3
Peters have some young talent that hasn't quite proved its self this season and with there speed out wide will be looking to finish well.

Pats vs Lauries

Pats by 25
Pats will be looking to end the season with a show for their fans and lauries back line wont be able to handle their strong running centers.

IDMSportmedia

Herbert Moran (7)
My tips for the weekend

SEC vs Villanova

Villanova by 10
They will be looking to upset the table toppers and end there season on a high at home.

Padua vs Iona

Padua by 18
They will be looking to win back some respect after starting the season so strong and fading slightly

Ashgrove vs peters

Peters by 3
Peters have some young talent that hasn't quite proved its self this season and with there speed out wide will be looking to finish well.

Pats vs Lauries

Pats by 25
Pats will be looking to end the season with a show for their fans and lauries back line wont be able to handle their strong running centers.

Villa by 10? What a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.