• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussieschoolboys

Frank Nicholson (4)
Carter Auld played 1st XV for SEC in 2013 at #10 with Jake Turpin #12 and Rory Humphreys #13 (brother of 2014 SEC #6 Kain) this being his second year of 1st XV although being injured mainly for this season. By turning 18 next year and being in year 12 this year I can't see Carter Auld repeating. Can anyone shed light on this insite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was in year 10 last year.

The Queen

Bob McCowan (2)
He was in year 10 last year.
Wow I was always under the impression he was grade 12 (2014). In this case yes Auld will be a certain starter in 2014 at number 10 or possibly 12 with Woolf shifting to 10. Either or will be a good option. Will be a good asset to SEC in 2015 with loads of experience to offer the boys from Ipswich

aussieschoolboys

Frank Nicholson (4)
Wynumwhat Lxix - nice disguise, clearly an Ashgrove boy. First time poster aye. Thanks for your thoughts on the season, I too really feel for Ashgrove, so unlucky losing their 13 for the season, only have another 260 year 12 boys to chose from, must be hard?

Pretty sure every team has had their fair share of injuries and I wouldn't say ASH completely outclassed Padua, Padua were up 22-5 at one stage. You also mention that the game against Eddies proved too much for the young lads?? ASH has the oldest team in the comp, quite a few 18 year olds and only one year 11 regular.

Also, how were Padua overhyped ? Padua were never even considered a genuine premiership contender - they obviously attracted a lot of attention after winning four straight at the start of the season - not by intercept tries either mate, 4 convincing wins against full strength oppositions. They had a poor second half against Ashgrove, and had a terrible run of injuries in the Eddies game and just weren't good enough.

And while I'm pulling your post to pieces (I expect a good rebuttal), the ASH forward pack are really quality, agreed, but they are lead by the best forward in the AIC, Dan Byrnes, he's the difference- not those props.

Who was injured for Padua?

aussieschoolboys

Frank Nicholson (4)
Wow I was always under the impression he was grade 12 (2014). In this case yes Auld will be a certain starter in 2014 at number 10 or possibly 12 with Woolf shifting to 10. Either or will be a good option. Will be a good asset to SEC in 2015 with loads of experience to offer the boys from Ipswich

Seems like they boys from Ipswich will have plenty of experience in 1st XV level. 7 of their players next year in 2015 will have run on in either 2013 or 2014.

Mr.Footy

Bob McCowan (2)
And while I'm pulling your post to pieces (I expect a good rebuttal), the ASH forward pack are really quality, agreed, but they are lead by the best forward in the AIC, Dan Byrnes, he's the difference- not those props.

G'Day behindthescenes, great to see you posting again I must say. I always love your work. I thought I would chime in on this statement as I feel that it is not entirely correct. Although Daniel Byrne is undoubtedly the best forward in the AIC, the outstanding work of the backrow and front row of Ashgrove has barely been recognized because they are not well known names like Setu, Torpy or Gentile. I have seen a few games of Ashgrove and in all of them, both flankers have been extremely impressive. The blindside has been rewarded with a chairman selection while the openside missed out altogether. The openside flanker has been oustanding all season as I have watched a few tapes of their games as well out of interest. However, he hasn't been discussed once, the same can be said about the prop, O'Connor?? As I said in another post, for a forward, his pace is incredible and ability to hit the ball at speed and find a hole is excellent. It seems that people have been too focused on the best individual and have forgotten about the others that contributed to the best forward pack in AIC. Too many times I have seen posts saying that AIC 1 selection is all about "individual performance." Let me say something, Rugby Union is not an individual sport and never will be. For instance, I would assume as a result of the outstanding forward pick and drive Ashgrove has used all season, Byrne is given plenty of space one pass off the ruck, allowing him to work his magic. Rather than focusing on the end result, people need to be looking at how the opportunities arose, what hard work was put in to achieve that opening or chance? Referring back to your statement, "He's the difference, not those props." I would have to disagree, it is those props and the rest of the pack that are the difference, they provide Byrne with the opportunities and he capitalizes on them with great skill and strength. It is an extremely well put together strategy by whoever the coach is.

The Queen

Bob McCowan (2)
How did James Lancashire not make the AIC 1 team after making it in grade 11 last year. Injury ?
Injury ruled Lancashire out of AIC in 2014 having not played from round 4 i believe along with Beverage #8 from Ashgrove who was favourite for his position.

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
On the topic of year 11s I would expect Dan McHugh from SLC to be up there for AIC selection. Next year will be his 3rd year as the tighthead prop for the SLC 1st XV (starting every game this year and last) and having got a deserved spot in Chairmans XV this year i expect him to push on to better things next year and hope to help improve a struggling SLC rugby program

WynnumWhat LXIX

Frank Row (1)
Wynumwhat Lxix - nice disguise, clearly an Ashgrove boy. First time poster aye. Thanks for your thoughts on the season, I too really feel for Ashgrove, so unlucky losing their 13 for the season, only have another 260 year 12 boys to chose from, must be hard?

Pretty sure every team has had their fair share of injuries and I wouldn't say ASH completely outclassed Padua, Padua were up 22-5 at one stage. You also mention that the game against Eddies proved too much for the young lads?? ASH has the oldest team in the comp, quite a few 18 year olds and only one year 11 regular.

Also, how were Padua overhyped ? Padua were never even considered a genuine premiership contender - they obviously attracted a lot of attention after winning four straight at the start of the season - not by intercept tries either mate, 4 convincing wins against full strength oppositions. They had a poor second half against Ashgrove, and had a terrible run of injuries in the Eddies game and just weren't good enough.

quality post mate, you know what Ashgrove boy i was, and proud. I watched quite a few of the games they played. Firstly i must say yes every team had their "fair share" of injuries but the sarcasm was quite unnecessary mate...

Secondly, yes Padua were up 22-5 that is true but with some lucky breaks and a single quality run from no.3 Tom O'Toole i believe? they were never clearly outplaying ashgrove and in the second half Ashgrove put them to the sword as Padua failed to score a single point. As i was not at the Padua VS Eddies game I will not comment on this so called "terrible run of injuries" but hey if they did have these terrible injuries why couldn't they just choose from the other 260 or so year 12 boys?

Also highlighting my use of 'young lads' was not necessary at all. Since when wasn't 18 young? Lastly yes Dan Byrne.. not Byrnes.. Byrne is the best forward in the AIC but the Quality work that these props do set up the foundation for Dan's brilliance and I believe one if not both deserve a spot in AIC 1 for the work that they do.

Codeunion

Peter Burge (5)
On the topic of year 11s I would expect Dan McHugh from SLC to be up there for AIC selection. Next year will be his 3rd year as the tighthead prop for the SLC 1st XV (starting every game this year and last) and having got a deserved spot in Chairmans XV this year i expect him to push on to better things next year and hope to help improve a struggling SLC rugby program

yes you're probably right, although he didn't stand out that much to make me say wow. but making chairmans, he should be a good shot for AIC 1 in 2015

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
quality post mate, you know what Ashgrove boy i was, and proud. I watched quite a few of the games they played. Firstly i must say yes every team had their "fair share" of injuries but the sarcasm was quite unnecessary mate.

Secondly, yes Padua were up 22-5 that is true but with some lucky breaks and a single quality run from no.3 Tom O'Toole i believe? they were never clearly outplaying ashgrove and in the second half Ashgrove put them to the sword as Padua failed to score a single point. As i was not at the Padua VS Eddies game I will not comment on this so called "terrible run of injuries" but hey if they did have these terrible injuries why couldn't they just choose from the other 260 or so year 12 boys?

Also highlighting my use of 'young lads' was not necessary at all. Since when wasn't 18 young? Lastly yes Dan Byrne.. not Byrnes.. Byrne is the best forward in the AIC but the Quality work that these props do set up the foundation for Dan's brilliance and I believe one if not both deserve a spot in AIC 1 for the work that they do.

260 is a reference to the size of Ashgrove and the amount of depth they have as a result. Padua has about 150 boys in year 12.. You do the math.

Some lucky line breaks ... Wow really ?

If your props were so good they would have made AIC selection, they couldn't even get a spot on the bench.

Mr footy - it's always a pleasure. I agree I really rate the back row of ASH, Ryan unlucky not to get a spot on the AIC side, and Beverage obviously injured. I actually think Byrne's best work is in tight, he has a great pick and drive, quality lineout jump, and hits hard. He's a worker, not your flashy type, I stand by the comment - he lead the Ashgrove pack, there's no doubt about it.

aussieschoolboys

Frank Nicholson (4)
Gentile (8), and Creighton (10) were out, and they lost 3 players in the first half to injuries. They also had 2 yellow cards - you're never going compete against Eddies with that.

Indeed but keep in mind Fernandez (13) and Fitzgibbon (1) were out as well. Eddies also had 2 early injuries in the half as well to Dowd (2) and Kennefick (4) as well as a yellow to Kember (13). Padua can't say that lost them the game, the only thing is that SEC had Williamson and Anae to cover for Fernandez and Fitzgibbon.

Mr.Footy

Bob McCowan (2)
Mr footy - it's always a pleasure. I agree I really rate the back row of ASH, Ryan unlucky not to get a spot on the AIC side, and Beverage obviously injured. I actually think Byrne's best work is in tight, he has a great pick and drive, quality lineout jump, and hits hard. He's a worker, not your flashy type, I stand by the comment - he lead the Ashgrove pack, there's no doubt about it.

Agree with everything except the "best work in tight". He's a natural runner and has the ability to offload to back rowers or supporting backs. Definitely led the Ashgrove pack for sure. I expect a great future for him, heard he's a top bloke as well.

Ballymore68

Bob McCowan (2)
Behindthescenes and Mr Footy,
I wholeheartedly agree with both of your views on the Ashgrove side and Byrne. However, I'd like to give credit to Kersley, a 'no-nonsense', hard working openside flanker who has been pivotal to the success of the Ashgrove forward pack this season. He is always looking for work and wears his heart on his sleeve each week against some much bigger men. I've been surprised and disappointed he didnt receive any recognition in the representative arena.

WynnumWhat LXIX,
As a fellow Ashgrove old boy myself, I'm rather embarrased by the arguments you have presented here tonight. Try and make some more educated and less biased arguments next time.

Congratulations to all the players who were picked for AIC 1 and the Chairman's side, you should all be very proud of your efforts over the course of the season. I look forward to an excellent round of AIC Rugby to round out what has been one of the most exciting and competitive in many years.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Eddies and Padua's rugby union progression:

Isn't it interesting to see these two traditional rugby league schools embrace the game of rugby union and become competitive outfits in all age groups and of course, at First XV level. Times have definitely changed that's for sure. What are everyone's thoughts on this progression from both schools? I know for a fact that it hasn't happened over night. These two schools deserve all the credit they receive.

Lauries rugby union decline:

As for Lauries, they might want to look at what these two schools have done over the years and turn around their program. For a school with 1500 students, you'd think that they could make good use of their large population. Lauries also have an advantage in regards to their centralised location. This means that they can easily attract students from all across the Brisbane metropolitan area. I hope that Lauries do not turn to the dark side and start giving out scholarships, the AIC is regarded for its home grown talent.

Would love to hear everyone's opinions on both the progression of Eddies and Padua, and the decline of Lauries. What needs to be changed or kept at these schools? What can other schools learn?

Mike_Union

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone else excited to see Byrne an Sankey link up in AIC 1? Two of the best ball playing forwards I have seen at a schoolboy level in recent years. Both players have a solid defensive game, and their jumping abilities are sensational. Hopefully they can help boost the AIC 1 pack and give the GPS boys a run for their money.

Ballymore68

Bob McCowan (2)
Lauries rugby union decline:

As for Lauries, they might want to look at what these two schools have done over the years and turn around their program. For a school with 1500 students, you'd think that they could make good use of their large population. Lauries also have an advantage in regards to their centralised location. This means that they can easily attract students from all across the Brisbane metropolitan area. I hope that Lauries do not turn to the dark side and start giving out scholarships, the AIC is regarded for its home grown talent.

I think unfortunately for Lauries, a poor attitude from some of the senior players in the side has cost them dearly. Early season disciplinary issues have led to a weakened First XV side this season and the results have been evidence of that. This has been one of the most competitive years of First XV rugby in a number of seasons and disappointly for Lauries they have haven't been able to match it with the rest of the pack.

Mike_Union

Bob McCowan (2)
I think unfortunately for Lauries, a poor attitude from some of the senior players in the side has cost them dearly. Early season disciplinary issues have led to a weakened First XV side this season and the results have been evidence of that. This has been one of the most competitive years of First XV rugby in a number of seasons and disappointly for Lauries they have haven't been able to match it with the rest of the pack.

I agree. Whilst I do believe they did the right thing - excluding the players who lacked the commitment, setting an example for boys in younger grades - it definitely did set the Lauries XV back, particularly in the outside backs. Not sure if I'm correct in saying this, only an assumption, but it seems nowadays the boys are more concerned about the party after than the actual game.

Status
Not open for further replies.