• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Other SupeRugby 2014 Semi-Final - Crusaders v Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Its not South Africans in general - just the ones that piss me off. I quite like some of them as we share an ability to call a spade a fucking shovel. One bloke I know (originally Rhodesian - he refuses to call it Zimbabwe) lived in Canada for a few years and Australia is a massive relief to him. Less political correctness, and much better weather!

It should be noted that I've met more Aussies that shit me than South Africans.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Is that a sport?

Never heard of it.

You should be thankful for its existence - Australia would have considerably more depth, skill and power were it not for this game ;-). Just imagine if the NRL happened to be a Union competition what effect that would have on the Wallabies.

As for the Shawks... Jake White needs to understand the importance of having a "plan B". Focusing on the set-piece and penalties is fine, but if you're getting your ass handed to you in your fortes then you have to adapt!

Let's just hope the Waratahs put in a more compelling performance and don't let the Crusaders strangle us.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The travel is certainly an issue, but what can actually be done about it?

Nothing I don't think.

There's no way they're going to add extra week's off before each week of finals.

The answer is to finish first or second. The travel makes things harder but ultimately, you're also playing against a team that was better than you during the regular season and has rightfully earned the right to play at their home ground.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Sharks could have played the highlanders in Perth on there way to NZ

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Finish first on the log. The end.

Sharks have nobody to blame but Jake, hum, I mean themselves.

I look forward to see what sort of game plan the Sharks roll our next year. If they carry on with the same there will be riots in Durban, oh wait there are already riots.

OK more riots then.

Yep, totally agree. This comp is the toughest in the world to win IMHO and the travel is brutal at times, but the Sharks dropped some games they could have won. This is the case for most teams and their tilt at the title usually rests on getting that home advantage.

I've increasingly come to the view that most of the time what Jake says we should do or say the opposite.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think all the people in this thread who make light of West to East travel have either not done it enough themselves or they are of those select few that do not feel the effects of long haul travel and jetlag.

For anything up to 7 days when I return from GMT time zone I am pretty stuffed.

You simply cannot perform at your peak. Add to that the pressure of a knockout game in someone else's back yard and it becomes real tough.

However, you should at least try to play some rugby, unlike the Sharks who should not even have bothered this year (last year they did though so wtf happened? The Reds were a few notches below this Crusaders team so maybe it was simply easier for the Sharks, especially the pack?)

To not recognize that it is a significant issue is either uninformed or ignorant.

I know it's fun to tell the Saffers to fuck off and stop moaning but it's not rocket science to see that it is a problem.

I travelled a lot when I was working and west to east is a real bastard. I was normally right by the 2nd or 3rd day, depending on the length of the flight, but I was not a high performance athlete. Even a flight to NZ meant I was crap the first day in NZ. But you must not drink alcohol and you must set your watch to the new timezone before you leave and then eat and sleep in accordance with the clock so you have started the adjustment process during the flight.

Time zone change going east is real and not to be sneezed at. Discipline and easing into it when you arrive is essential. I reckon the Brumbies last year were a good example - leading by 10 at the sixty minute mark, they just got run down in the last twenty. The other thing that really cruels the Sharks' trip is having to go via Joh'burg which puts extra hours on the trip. This time too they had to do an extra hop at the other end to Christchurch, which didn't help.

But the fundamental problem for the Sharks was they played poorly in the second half of the season and lost to teams they should have beaten easily. At the heart of this was the loss of Lambie and the dearth of good 10's in SA. You know that when Steyn is your next best 10 you are in trouble. White should have had a young flyhalf in his squad with talent (and not just a good kick) and he should have been put into 10 and persevered with. The Sharks needed to snag one more win to make top two - the Cheetahs away or the Clan at home would have done the trick. They didn't and the rest is history.

Status
Not open for further replies.