• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Not sure on who should be 15 at this stage (obviously Hunt needs some time first anyway). I'm guessing and leaning towards JOC (James O'Connor) at 15, who normally has a great combo with Cooper and can play the second line playmaker or inside runner very well.

If Hunt hits his straps he will be one of the best front on tacklers and straight ball runners in the squad which might put him more at 12 or 13.

It would be good to give the young guys time to ease into the full professional environment which will only do them good in the long run.

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
Has it been confirmed yet that we aren't all reading too much into the logos at the end?

It could be the 4 guys already signed. 2 Queenslanders, a Wallaby and a Kiwi

I know Tui is a Japanese rep but he was born in NZ...

I see where you're coming from but I don't think they would have used the official All Blacks logo to represent the signing of Tui who has never played for the All Blacks.

I think it's more likely meant to represent one of the 4 remaining signings.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm pretty sure they would've if they were signed. More than likely they've agreed on terms or something close to a done deal without the actual signature. So confident enough to just run with a hint for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think it might settle some of the bias claims down.

Everyone is getting a bit. So what? Tahs got some assistance with Folau and ground rentals, Reds helped with KHunt, Rebels and Force get extra concessions and a bob or two, Ponies get Southern Inland NSW, and the Monaro.
It won't cure some of the tinfoil hat wearers in Perth. They're of the form belief that the ARU bought the title for the Waratahs and that the Force suffered directly for it. Somehow

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
I see where you're coming from but I don't think they would have used the official All Blacks logo to represent the signing of Tui who has never played for the All Blacks.

I think it's more likely meant to represent one of the 4 remaining signings.

I agree, but I as I said I wouldn't have thought a competent organisation would have hired RG.

Also, has anyone seen the updated 'marquee' rules? Tui would fill out ineligible marquee. So any All-Black would be unavailable for us. Unless these rules have changed.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
If they're signed (which any kind of hint would imply) why wouldn't they announce it then?

Because it builds more hype this way. The reds already had the front page with JOC (James O'Connor) and Hunt.

This way they get 2 more front pages when they unveil the Wallaby and the All Black.

Memberships go on sale tomorrow. I expect they will get their first 10k by those who renew. Once the rate of people signing up dies down they will start announcing more of the squad.

T

TOCC

I reckon its a case of these players not yet been signed or contracts aren't finalised..

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I agree, but I as I said I wouldn't have thought a competent organisation would have hired RG.

Also, has anyone seen the updated 'marquee' rules? Tui would fill out ineligible marquee. So any All-Black would be unavailable for us. Unless these rules have changed.
something about being allowes a japanese player on top of the original 2 foreign places.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Japanese players are exempt, Tui has represented Japan so he is exempt from the marquee player position. The marquee player position is still vacant.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It won't cure some of the tinfoil hat wearers in Perth. They're of the form belief that the ARU bought the title for the Waratahs and that the Force suffered directly for it. Somehow
When the ARU helps deliver star quality players to the big 2 I think those of us out in poor cousin land of the other franchises rightfully can question the fairness across the franchises.

If you added up the wages paid to the players at the Tahs or the Reds including Wallaby contracts the Tahs and Reds players would probably be earning twice what the Force or Rebel player pools are receiving.

I don't know what the answer is and understand the old unions deliver the most players and fans to the pool as a rugby nation and there needs to be some advantage/compensation for that.

But surely you can also understand why we might consider the playing field to be fairly uneven.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I don't know what the answer is and understand the old unions deliver the most players and fans to the pool as a rugby nation and there needs to be some advantage/compensation for that.

But surely you can also understand why we might consider the playing field to be fairly uneven.

Sure, but these things don't just happen. As someone with experience in a Western Sydney club, I know what it's like to feel marginalised.

Problem is Australian Rugby made mistakes, and needs to shore up the heartland as a result. That means getting NSW and QLD back in order before being able to bring that kind of love to the other states.

All that VIC, WA, ACT can do in the meantime is their best work at producing local talent and growing their local support of rugby.

T

Train Without a Station

It's a pretty equitable system. The ARU does not concern themselves with the franchise of the player. It just happens that as most players are from QLD and NSW they choose to ply their trade there.

T

TOCC

When the ARU helps deliver star quality players to the big 2 I think those of us out in poor cousin land of the other franchises rightfully can question the fairness across the franchises.

If you added up the wages paid to the players at the Tahs or the Reds including Wallaby contracts the Tahs and Reds players would probably be earning twice what the Force or Rebel player pools are receiving.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the first time in over 10 years(since Wendell) that the Reds have recruited a player with financial assistance from the ARU. I can't think of the last player who was on a Wallaby top-up contract that was recruited to the Reds from another province. Nearly every single player on the Reds roster who is in receipt of a ARU top-up contract has earned that contract through their form displayed at the Reds.

Edit: Digby is the last player to come to mind who could have been on a ARU top-up contract at the time he was recruited to the Reds. I won't list how many players were on ARU top-up's who have left the Reds because its just a sad list to read.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Problem is Australian Rugby made mistakes, and needs to shore up the heartland as a result. That means getting NSW and QLD back in order before being able to bring that kind of love to the other states.

All that VIC, WA, ACT can do in the meantime is their best work at producing local talent and growing their local support of rugby.

Agreed. What would keep me happy would be a commitment from the ARU that once things are back on track they modify the delegate structure so all states that have a Super team have equal number of delegates on the board.

It would nullify the NSWRU and QRU from being able to bully the other unions and ensure there is equal focus on growing the game in all states.

T

TOCC

It would nullify the NSWRU and QRU from being able to bully the other unions and ensure there is equal focus on growing the game in all states.

The current voting structure ensures that the QRU and NSWRU can't form a voting block, the QRU and NSWRU hold 6 votes with the remaining 10 held by other states and RUPA also holding 1.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the first time in over 10 years(since Wendell) that the Reds have recruited a player with financial assistance from the ARU. I can't think of the last player who was on a Wallaby top-up contract that was recruited to the Reds from another province. Nearly every single player on the Reds roster who is in receipt of a ARU top-up contract has earned that contract through their form displayed at the Reds.

Edit: Digby is the last player to come to mind who could have been on a ARU top-up contract at the time he was recruited to the Reds. I won't list how many players were on ARU top-up's who have left the Reds because its just a sad list to read.

Will Genia signed from the Force.:)

T

Tip

The current voting structure ensures that the QRU and NSWRU can't form a voting block, the QRU and NSWRU hold 6 votes with the remaining 10 held by other states and RUPA also holding 1.

The price NSW paid for Folau and the price QLD paid to resign Cooper.

To surmise, the NSW & QLD's veto rights were valued at $400,000

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's a pretty equitable system. The ARU does not concern themselves with the franchise of the player. It just happens that as most players are from QLD and NSW they choose to ply their trade there.

That's all good and fine. But at least can we have some transparency? How much exactly are the ARU paying and how much are the Reds paying?

Is it also reasonable to ask if this signing is a deciding point on all future signings where the ARU top up is given before a player has even played a Super Rugby game? If this turns out to be a waste of money, can we please have an end to it for all franchises?

Status
Not open for further replies.