• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wiki must be out of date.

The Cosgrove/Arbib Report on Srrengthening the Governance of Australian Rugby recommendations on constitutional review have been adopted.
Report http://myrugby.rugby.com.au/myrugby/images/docs/Gov/Details.pdf
Recommendation 3: That Members agree to new voting rights determined on the following basis:
o one vote for each Member Union
o one vote for each Super Rugby team as a condition of their licence
o one additional vote for each Member Union with more than 50,000 registered players (for a maximum of one additional vote)
o one vote for the Rugby Union Players’ Association.

T

TOCC

Not according to Wikipedia.

Nsw - 5
Qld - 3
All other states - 1 (total of 6)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Rugby_Union

Wiki is outdated, it changed last year as part of the governance review.
There are 16 votes, NSW and QRU hold a total of 6 with the remaining states and RUPA holding 10.

The QRU and NSWRU can't really bully anyone, they hold a minority of votes when compared to the remaining states. To elaborate further, the QRU and NSWRU had to agree to relinquish their voting block for a more equitable system.

T

TOCC

Anyway this is hardly the place for this conversation, the QRU holds no voting power over the ARU to force them to offer a top up for Karmichael.

It was actually reported a couple of months ago that the ARU was only going to offer a top-up to Karmichael if he signed with the Rebels over the Reds because they want to leverage his profile in the AFL mad Melbourne.

This is the first time in a decade that the ARU has used an ARU top-up as an incentive to recruit a player to the Reds.. If thats bias treatment then il be dammed..

Now back to the Reds...

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Some astute signings by the Reds: Hendrick Tui looks to be a handy ball carrier, and Hunt could prove to be a masterstroke.

Some concern for the halves though, with two inexeperienced flyhalves behind Quade (the new Broncos recruit and McIntyre), as well as Frisby and Gale behind Genia. Not sure why Lucas wasn't retained?

I've made my feelings known on the subject of JOC (James O'Connor) so I wont go there - though I hope for the Reds' sake they bring him into line, or at least contain him.

Two ugly, nasty props who know how to demolish scrums and hurt blokes with or without the ball and the Reds become a real threat in 2015. Which guys are being looked at? Kite, Paraka, Talakai?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The backup flyhalves will be on a steep learning curve. Frisby is a different story, though. He's an 'older' kind of young.

The prop question is an interesting one.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...into-rugby-union/story-fnin5f70-1227040545416

This was in the courier mail the other day but there's been no official word either way. You'd have to think they're considering it, given the obvious benefits, I imagine the only sticking point would be what sort of break hunt wants before starting. Even if he doesn't play I'd expect him to be involved in training in some capacity.

I can see Hunt playing for Queensland Country rather than Brisbane City, in that he's presently based on the Gold Coast.
Whichever team in NRC he plays in, it will be a big boost to the competition.
There would be a lot of his past NRL fans that would probably want to have a look at him playing rugby.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The backup flyhalves will be on a steep learning curve. Frisby is a different story, though. He's an 'older' kind of young.

The prop question is an interesting one.

Frisby is getting to be quite an improver with Wil Ginea's injury.
What he needed and has now got is game time.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Anyway this is hardly the place for this conversation, the QRU holds no voting power over the ARU to force them to offer a top up for Karmichael.

It was actually reported a couple of months ago that the ARU was only going to offer a top-up to Karmichael if he signed with the Rebels over the Reds because they want to leverage his profile in the AFL mad Melbourne.

This is the first time in a decade that the ARU has used an ARU top-up as an incentive to recruit a player to the Reds.. If thats bias treatment then il be dammed..

Now back to the Reds.

TOCC, so then why did the ARU change their mind and approve a top up for Hunt>Reds?

T

Train Without a Station

Why this fascination with props? Firstly our scrum was the strongest it's been in years and secondly, if link and cheika have proved anything it's that you don't need a strong scrum to win a title.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I can see Hunt playing for Queensland Country rather than Brisbane City, in that he's presently based on the Gold Coast.
Whichever team in NRC he plays in, it will be a big boost to the competition.
There would be a lot of his past NRL fans that would probably want to have a look at him playing rugby.

Yeah and Meehan is the backs coach so it'd make sense to have Hunt working with him, though it also makes sense to give him as much time with Quade as possible. The thing that makes me think it'll be City is the fact that someone will probably have to drop out of the squad for him. City haven't named a replacement for Tapuai whose injury was earned the week before the comp started and is listed as 12 weeks, were as country replaced Lucas. There are other factors there (Lucas is surplus to the reds requirements, his replacement went straight into the starting side for country) but if there is any credence to the article beyond speculation it does fit well.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
With Lucas I am sad to see the bloke go, probably to Japan.I think that Lucas had negotiated a very good deal when Genia had committed to the Force. Genia reneged and then the Reds were stuck with Lucas's upgraded deal. They honoured that contract.

I believe the current offer was reduced, back to his real worth, now with Genia still on the roster.

Just a shame to lose a bloke who has cobntributed so much to Reds rugby

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Why this fascination with props? Firstly our scrum was the strongest it's been in years and secondly, if link and cheika have proved anything it's that you don't need a strong scrum to win a title.

Our scrum was strong when Slipper and Holmes were on but when Daley came on we were shaky. Those two can't play 80 mins every week so we need solid back ups.

Not sure about the second point though. You don't 'need' a strong scrum to win a title but it's got to be able to hold it's own and a strong scrum sure as shit doesn't hurt your chances of winning a title. And if you don't have a strong scrum Link and Chieka showed that you have to be 100% on top of every other facet of your game, which I don't think many would argue that the Reds are based on the 2014 season.

T

Train Without a Station

Saying Daley is inadequate as a back ignores the fact that he was a starting loosehead 3 years ago when we won it.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
You originally asked the question, "Why this fascination with props?". I'll give you the short answer. The 2015 Reds squad currently doesn't have enough props for a match day 23. Given there is only 4 spots left, it seems reasonable that at least 2 of them will be props. Hence the fascination.

But forgetting the fact that we don't even have enough back up players period, Daley's form and ability in 2011 have zero relevance to his ability to be a back up prop in 2015.

T

Train Without a Station

Read bairdy's comment about the props we need. I'm just saying that they are not a necessity to build a successful team.

A strong scrum has not lead to success for many teams in fact. A serviceable scrum has been used by most successful teams in fact.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
We still need a minimum of one prop. If we're sensible we need two. If we have to recruit two props why wouldn't we try and get the best we can? Why wouldn't we discuss what would be ideal? Why would we aim for 'serviceable'?
I know what you're saying. I just don't know why you're saying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Read bairdy's comment about the props we need. I'm just saying that they are not a necessity to build a successful team.

A strong scrum has not lead to success for many teams in fact. A serviceable scrum has been used by most successful teams in fact.
As long as they won't embarrass themselves come scrum time were probably looking for impact around the ground from the bench props. The way the set piece came along this year I'd back most young props to develop well under Stiles. So far Paraka is looking like a good option, scored a double this weekend, though I'm yet to actually see the game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If anything, the Reds had very strong set piece in 2014 but the forward pack was lacklustre in general play.

The Tahs were the complete opposite and it was far more successful.

Whilst having a dominant scrum seems far more likely to result in victory at test level, the same doesn't seem to translate at Super Rugby level. A dominant lineout seems to have even less influence on the outcome of the game.

The Reds need a huge focus on collisions and physicality in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.