• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I really think if Union wants to stop being seen as elitist, then it needs to forget about GPS vs CAS vs CHS vs ISA and all that other shit. More open competition is the only way the have-nots are going to approach the top 5.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whilst the strength of rugby union in the elite private schools is often seen as a negative within rugby union, it's probably a positive in terms of maintaining a strong base against AFL and league.

Junior village clubs have already been decimated on the most part.

AFL's biggest advantage is their resources in that they can throw money and staff at recruiting junior players across the country. It would seem to me that this growth is more likely to come at the expense of junior rugby league clubs than junior rugby union clubs.

Whilst the private schools might be dabbling in AFL, they will remain dedicated to rugby union.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I really think if Union wants to stop being seen as elitist, then it needs to forget about GPS vs CAS vs CHS vs ISA and all that other shit. More open competition is the only way the have-nots are going to approach the top 5.

I really don't get this view that Rugby has any say in what competition these schools set-up for themselves. The ARU doesn't set up the school comps.

Rugby is seen as elitist because these elite schools play it, and barely anyone else at a schoolboy level.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
I agree any increase in AFL junior clubs are likely to come from other codes first because unions junior clubs are already in so much trouble.

Realistically the kids playing AFL in juniors are likely to come at the expense of:-
1 - kids who weren't playing any other code anyways -
2 - Soccer
3 - RL
4 - RU
only because that's the current order of where the juniors are in NSW and QLD

The bigger issue RU has is once kids get out of the fishbowl GPS or CAS depending on where they are at, RU isn't cool like it was at school, and if they are wearing tight jeans hanging out in waterloo and paddo AFL may become the in thing because they don't have the same inbuilt perception of AFL being a "westie" sport they got from school about league.

Thus in the end its just helping AFL more and more...

whereas previously those same people, in the same circumstances may have just dampened their interest in union and that's about it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Whilst the strength of rugby union in the elite private schools is often seen as a negative within rugby union, it's probably a positive in terms of maintaining a strong base against AFL and league.

Junior village clubs have already been decimated on the most part.

AFL's biggest advantage is their resources in that they can throw money and staff at recruiting junior players across the country. It would seem to me that this growth is more likely to come at the expense of junior rugby league clubs than junior rugby union clubs.

Whilst the private schools might be dabbling in AFL, they will remain dedicated to rugby union.
It is the Schools that have decimated the junior village clubs,not competing codes.
So the Schools involvement is both a good & bad thing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It is the Schools that have decimated the junior village clubs,not competing codes.
So the Schools involvement is both a good & bad thing.

I don't disagree with that, but where exactly are the AFL recruiting from now in Sydney and Brisbane amongst junior ranks?

My estimation would be that they're pillaging junior rugby league numbers more than junior rugby union at this point.

The private school stronghold in Sydney is probably the hardest thing for AFL and NRL to crack into and whilst it's been a catch-22 for Australian rugby historically, it probably helps create a base for rugby union that is very hard for AFL and NRL to crack.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
They are recruiting in State Schools predominantly,making multiple visits & running sessions each year.
The teachers love it,because it's basically free time for them,the students enjoy the sessions & love the swag of freebies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I know of a few very talented junior RL players (who had brief dalliances with RU) who have been converted to AFL courtesy of aggressive recruiting by the AFL and Swans development officers.

At least two of these boys are such talented athletes that they would have made it all the way to the NRL. Both will most likely get professional AFL contracts in the next two years.

While it is a small sample, I can not think of any "true blue" talented junior rugby union players that have been converted by the Mexicans and their silly kicking game, therefore IMHO RL is proportionately losing more talented junior athletes to AFL than RU is.

The importing of talent from NZ and the PI to NRL is currently masking the effects of this, but in about 5 or 6 years time, the NRL talent pool will start to see the full impact of the recruiting that the AFL and the Swans started in about 2006, and have been getting progressively more aggressive and successful in annually.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
12 NSW players were invited to the AFL draft combine this year and 7 from Queensland. So while it's a threat, they're not exactly ripping the heart out of either rugby code's junior player group.

The biggest threat to rugby union is their targeting of the 195+cm guys. Their isn't much opportunity for the tall player in League, so in the past they would naturally look to union in the second row if they wanted a contact sport. Not necessarily any more....

T

Train Without a Station

But realistically there's only a handful of guys that could excel in both. Potentially your Rocky Elsom athlete types. The vast majority who have the athleticism to make AFL would lack the physicality to make it in rugby, and those who have the physicality to make it in rugby would lack the athleticism to make it in AFL.

Mike Pyke. Considered a reasonably physical yet athletic ruckman was a fullback after all.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
I don't think having employees/players will ever be a problem for any code.

So the swapsies of some athletes is a bit of a non issue. Its the interest in codes from the supporters which is the key thing.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyone else watching the RL grand final? Pretty good display of passionate crowds.

Yeah, watched the Junior Warriors win, went for a swim (visiting the niece down GC) now watching the GF whilst nephew & nephew-in-law cook the BBQ. Lote looked to have scored there but the TMO says no.

EDIT: we're not gonna get banned for this are we @DCT?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah, watched the Junior Warriors win, went for a swim (visiting the niece down GC) now watching the GF whilst nephew & nephew-in-law cook the BBQ. Lote looked to have scored there but the TMO says no.

Yeah I'm not too against it, it's a bit of a spectacle. I think without the pressure and fervor this game could get boring. Don't shoot me, but I'm enjoying it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Who is playing?

Ummm, Canterbury v Southsomewhere. Classic comment from Ray Warren & I kid you not: "I can't count past 6". Nor can Phil Gould, apparently. Anyways, the TV was on this channel when I sat down & I can't find the remote. Yes officer, that is my story. And yes officer, I am sticking to it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is unusual. Pretty sure both Canterbury and Southland have already played this weekend. Tough call to back up so soon. Canterbury got flogged.

Status
Not open for further replies.