• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd have thought that long term contracts signed by minors might not be the most legally binding of documents.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ that's pretty much what NZR are arguing, Warriors counter-argument is that his parent(s)* also signed it as did his Agent. Opens up yet more cans of worms e.g. did the parent(s) sign with their son's best interests or heir own in mind? Also who engaged the Agent's services: if the minor, dies that stand? If the parent(s)* then, again, with who's interests foremost in their mind?

At the end of the day I suspect NZR will toss the Warriors some petty cash to make this go away but it's gonna be fun watching it play out in the meantime.

EDIT: *it's still unclear whether both parents signed or, if they did, whether there was some coercion involved. I've heard three versions (both signed; mum pressured reluctant dad; dad pressured reluctant mum) & obviously have no idea which is true.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Gonna be hhhhmmmmm searching for the right word just can't figure it out.

How the QLD press treat Peter Beattie who is the new chair of the league and also how the NSW media will treat him given he has moved to Balmain ...

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ I thought Beattie was chair of the Comm Games organising committee? Or has responsibility for the Games now shifted to someone else? Surely he hasn't jumped ship ~2 months before opening day? Even for a Qld poly, that would seem a bit "on the nose".

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^^^

From the OZ seems he has the support of the clubs and wants to expand the NRL. Perth and second Brisbane are the odds on two new teams.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/324aa62c633fc95cee3aaa8a4fed1506

The man touted as the next chairman of the ARL commission Peter Beattie is determined to expand the NRL beyond the current 16 teams.

The former Queensland premier is adamant the competition can grow and has staked his future in the game on it happening, most likely in 2022 to coincide with the new broadcast deal.

“Expansion has to be on the table. The game can’t be complacent. We have to grow. If we stagnate we die. And that is why I want to see it back on the table. It’s time,’’ Beattie told The Daily Telegraph.

“We need to be strategic about it and think long term.

“There is so much other entertainment and other sports people are interested in. We can’t sit on our bums. The quality of the game is great but we’ve got to ensure it has a future. That’s why expansion is so important.”

Current chairman John Grant steps down from the role next month and Beattie is odds on to step into the role.

“I am only interested in taking the role if I have the support of the clubs and all stakeholders,” Beattie said.

“The constitution says I only need the support of the other independent commissioners but I want to make this work. So I will be asking for a vote of the entire commission including the club and state nominees … and I will only take the job if they all want me there.

“There is no point having a Chair the clubs don’t want. We want unity and cohesion.”

Beattie would not be drawn on where the new team or teams would come from but indicated a team from Perth would be a good fit.

“I can’t wait to see teams like Perth, Fiji, New Zealand, PNG, Country NSW and other cities in action, week after week in State Cup matches. Even Ipswich or Redcliffe,’’ he said.

“We’ve got to give them all a signal that we’re looking at expansion.

“This broadcast cycle will give us the opportunity to see how serious they are about becoming part of the NRL. And, if one or two of them demonstrate they will benefit the NRL, can we look at including them in the next cycle?’’

Meanwhile, Queensland great Trevor Gillmeister is confident Cameron Munster and Ben Hunt’s World Cup fight will not throw a spanner into Queensland’s State of Origin dominance.

Munster was briefly sent home from last year’s Kangaroos camp following a fracas with Hunt in Darwin.

Tempers flared between the Maroons Origin teammates while the Kangaroos were in the steamy Northern Territory capital for their semi-final against Samoa last November.

“It was no big deal. I wouldn’t be reading anything into it,” he said.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Ipswich has to be the top contender, they'd fill whatever stadium got built there every week and love the team, be ideal for the people from Gatton and Toowoomba as well as they aren't hiking into the city to see a game.

Redcliffe would be in there as well as long as they got to play in Redcliffe. That whole Redcliffe through to Caboolture coridor is exploding population wise. The Dolphins enjoy a lot of support, massive ready made fan base.

The plan falls apart I rekon if they force these teams to play home games at Suncorp, would feel fake seeing either team play away from their territory.

I can't see Perth and some of the other areas really coming into it, we got enough teams already playing in empty stadiums now.

I'll be in Sydney in mid June so am catching the Bunnies play a Thursday night game. Fully expecting less than 4k fans there in a 80k seater.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
If the NRL expands then the people running it are morons. You don’t start new teams to fill stadiums any more, you start teams to get new viewers. That’s why the AFL will prop up the Suns and the Giants, and to a lesser extent the Lions forever and a day. Western Sydney, Brisbane and the Gold Coast would be the three biggest markets outside Sydney and Melbourne, and the only driver for TV revenue for the AFL and NRL is Australian and NZ viewership.

How many extra viewers would the NRL get for another Brisbane team? I’ll tell you, zero. It’s already a market they dominate. The only area with a potentially decent new viewership and sustainable population left for the NRL is maybe Perth, but they would have to weigh up the costs. I’d argue they’d probably get more value from a second NZ team, but (and someone from NZ would be able to shed some light on this better than my hearsay) I understand the NRL is already pretty well supported over there. So again, 0 extra viewers.

Anyway, this is one of the problems with appointing a politician, he’ll say something populist but not think about the consequences.

I hope they do expand, and I wish the Brisbane Bombers all the success of the South Qld Crushers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I disagree Mr Tank. You get more viewers (or engage the same viewers for longer) with more content. Another team = more games.

Status
Not open for further replies.