• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Here's a GPS pocket.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 286

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Scots VIIIs have been at SIRC this week for sure.
Aaaah... ISIS have snuck off to SIRC. KT is pulling out all stops. House Lanister would have no problem with extra sessions. World domination is on the move on the water. It couldn't have been to hard to tell who they were unless they have special training cleaver oars disguised in generic colours? Apart from the very well branded prancing lion (or it dancing?) 4WD vehicles and trailers!!!

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Surely the girls could pick the zooties of the school??? Do you pay to train at SIRC.

Tomorrow's GPS Regatta is the last at SIRC for the year actually I think until the HOR. The rest at Hen & Chicken and of course Lane Cove for the Gold Cup.
No there's more next year. The seniors will turn up to SRC regatta at SIRC for example.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Well, as I said, I have a multitude of reasons for this opinion and to be honest, the "It's Time" factor would be fairly low on the list. If a decades-long drought was enough motivation to get a crew first over the line, then you would think somewhere round the 20-year mark or 30-year mark they would have broken through.

Interestingly, in this forum and in general real-life rowing conversation, the Joeys 40-year drought is inevitably raised. Yet you rarely hear about Riverview's years in the wilderness which number about the same. The SIC shed does not seem to encourage the same culture of yearning as SJC.

BTW regarding the drop-off in rowing post HSC, I think a crucial element is the private school gap year which automatically puts distance between you and a boatshed. The participation rate in GAP experiences is huge from GPS schools and the majority involve extended overseas travel. HOTR in March of Year 12, by March the next year you are dorm staff in an isolated English boarding school with no rowing program or volunteering in an Antips program in SE Asia. Add some independent travel on the end, come home for Christmas and get ready for uni. By the time your first semester of tertiary education rolls around, it's March TWO YEARS after you last held an oar.
ISIS aren't too far behind either. 1979. That's three schools from the seventies (weren't they the days???)

L

LBA

Good looking patch - appreciate you showing me an example. You know more about the ISIS then me - House Lanister - "little pig" are you on a watch list and not telling us??

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Like the healthy debate and t be honest think it is great that Joeys are doing well. Fully deserved and good for GPS rowing. If there is a school that I would like to see win other than Shore, tis Joeys. A lot of good blokes I know went there.

Like to add that wouldnt write Shore off just yet though as are not too far off the pace. The shed has an awesome atmosphere and to be honest are pretty respectful of the other crews so will just make them try harder to be their best come HOTR.

Cheers,
MR
Agree. Jennings doesn't say much but he knows how to make his crew hungry for a win. He'll drop people just like that to make them sharpen their act. Though from Barry's statistical analysis, they are a bit short in the experience this year.

L

LBA

If the Shore school is hungry for a win - I suggest the other GPS school are starving.

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
Joeys row last Saturday was awesome. A sizzling time so early in the season and a hard summer camp coming up in New Zealand......I expect ( with greatest respect to a fine crew) them to be flat come HOR time.
I know they have the best coaching staff but......
we shall see.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Tomorrow's GPS Regatta is the last at SIRC for the year actually I think until the HOR. The rest at Hen & Chicken and of course Lane Cove for the Gold Cup.

Kings, State, and Sydney RC regattas in Feb and NSW Schoolboys HOR weekend before HOTR.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
There seems to be lots of people backing Joeys to win the HOR this season. On the basis of last Saturday's racing, then rightly so. I would say it is too early to tip anyone yet. No one seems to be mentioning Scots or Riverview in the mix. Best to wait and see the performances averaged out over the next two weekends before making a prediction. Don't forget that there have been many crews that have won all year long and lost the HOR. There have been a number of GPS crews that have even won the Nationals against full strength National fields and then not won the HOR. Joeys won the Nationals in 2000 and 2005 but came 3rd and 2nd at the HOR in those years. I think Joeys were the clear favourites in 2005, having won the Nationals before the HOR. I am not saying they cant win this season, it is just too early to tell at this stage.

Last time a favourite lost was 2005, when Shore made some seat changes 10 days before HOTR and it paid off. Since then the best crew through season has won (Shore winning 07 Nationals was an anomaly given Kings regular stroke was out and the wind was a factor).

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
The fastest 16 scullers from the GPS time trials are starting in two heats.
I think they'll be taking the fastest top twelve times from there to seat racing which, my guess, will be done next year (after the HOTR). Four drop out this round and then another four thru the seat racing.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Last time a favourite lost was 2005, when Shore made some seat changes 10 days before HOTR and it paid off. Since then the best crew through season has won (Shore winning 07 Nationals was an anomaly given Kings regular stroke was out and the wind was a factor).
Wasn't there a controversial redraw to the lanes that year (that never happened before nor since) that separated Shore and Joeys with Joeys only losing by .77 sec? Could have been a factor, if I'm on the bowball.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
At least said schoolgirl got the "like" bit right. I quite like her description, like..... :confused:

I would suggest the crew she saw may've been Riverview.

Reactions: LBA

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
This is easy to say in hindsight. If we were three weeks out from this seasons HOR, and Shore had just won the Nationals, and the Kings stroke was injured, at least half of the crowd would be predicting a win for Shore, which would at least make them joint favourites. Shore ended up fourth at the HOR in 2007, so you could add that to the list of a favourite not winning.

I was close to the Shore crew and Kings were favourites. An interesting season and race.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Joeys just won convincingly and look strong favourites next year. Riverview did well and Shore a little disappointing and weren't able to test Joeys. Tricky conditions resulting in slower times though the scene is now set with Joeys the crew to beat.

MR

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Joeys just won convincingly and look strong favourites next year. Riverview did well and Shore a little disappointing and weren't able to test Joeys. Tricky conditions resulting in slower times though the scene is now set with Joeys the crew to beat.

MR

Indeed - David Jennings will be consulting the Ouija board to find a solution.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)

MR
Joeys do look good. They've sharpened up their start time. The previous two years Joeys First VIIIs were usually a bit slow out of the blocks and then they rowed through. This crew seems to get a jump then settle back and then at the 1250 mark wind up and pull away or at least maintain their lead. Pretty good rhythm happening with McDonald backed up well by King and O'Connell. Conditions weren't that bad, slight crosswind. Also word is they had a replacement due to sudden illness and still rowed well.

There's not much between Shore and Joeys in the 2nd VIII... Suspect the late crew change may not have helped but still an impressive race.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Shore's 1st Year 10 VIII are looking sharp. Their times faster than the second VIII. Shore seniors may be a bit at sorts at this stage (though still early days) but in two years are looking good again.

Status
Not open for further replies.