• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LBA

The ones that make the VIII do get a GPS rowing pocket.

A rowing pocket - have you got a picture of that? Does that mean they wear their school blazer to an interview to show off their pockets ??:)

L

LBA

AAGPS.jpg

Attachments

• AAGPS.jpg
    AAGPS.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 214
L

LBA

Sorry guys - that was the first time I uploaded something - that is the AAGPS logo - so is that on the patch then it goes somewhere on the school blazer.

I have never seen one before. I can imagine that these well earned patches would be treasure indeed but surely there would be a party and cake and streamers and something a little more than just a patch. I would be singing from the highest mountain like Julie Andrews and giving thanks to the God of Rowing. From what I have heard there is not enough recognition.

L

LBA

Sorry not just a patch but a blessed piece of material - that some mother or seamstress has to sew on. Is there a dinner at least?

A lovely black tie affair where the boys and their parents attend and these special patches are handed out? With cake of course!

L

LBA

Question? Is it true that the parents of the boys that row in the GPS schools have to buy their own shoes? The school of course would be put them on the foot stretcher.

L

LBA

Penrith Accom booked out - just as an aside - With all the rowers, parents, coaches etc.. very hard to get accom in Penrith this weekend. Must be good for the area.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
God no. But there are plenty of them lurking out there ready to pounce if you suggest they won't win!

I boldly suggest now that they will not win. Let the wrath of Shore rain down with great anger and furious vengeance, but my prediction for March 7, 2015 is:
Joeys win in 1st eight with Shore close enough to take a selfie with them.

Photo finish Joeys/Scots in 2nd eight with Shore the other place.

Numerous reasons for my tips but no need to burden others with that information until they have made their own independent predictions.

There it is. Come at me!

Reactions: LBA

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
I boldly suggest now that they will not win. Let the wrath of Shore rain down with great anger and furious vengeance, but my prediction for March 7, 2015 is:

Numerous reasons for my tips but no need to burden others with that information until they have made their own independent predictions.

There it is. Come at me!

Hard to disagree given last weekend's results. Don't underestimate David Jennings' ability to tweak the Shore crew - I would not be surprised to see one or two changes after this weekend if they don't perform well.

L

LBA

Word is the graded finals of the GPS sculling trials are happening this Friday evening/afternoon. Still putting my money on Sullivan.and McDonald to dominate.

How will you know? The results are not published.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Good point behindtheshed - but I feel certain that if you to be name an "All-Rounder" or came first in a subject your test results would be published and you would get a medal / certificate something ??? A photo taken ?? That each young man would get something they could put in your resume as recognition that their hard efforts did not go unnoticed.

Nobody has confirmed what happens to the boys who do well - the results are not published. It is all like it is done in the shadows - these boys I think deserve more than that.

The AAGPS website is very dry. No pictures of these going across the line - nothing - like chewing on a bit of cardboard really.

Again I ask why bother? Market it well - let ever boy know in the school that these particular rowers have gone up against the best of the other GPS schools and performed.
The AAGPS website is crap. Someone does need to give it an overhaul.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I

There it is. Come at me!
I'm with you.... After two years of second places Joeys are gearing up. I think the above is a fair call.... Until something drastic happens then I'll conveniently change my tune!

Reactions: LBA

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
I
I'm with you.. After two years of second places Joeys are gearing up. I think the above is a fair call.. Until something drastic happens then I'll conveniently change my tune!

Well, as I said, I have a multitude of reasons for this opinion and to be honest, the "It's Time" factor would be fairly low on the list. If a decades-long drought was enough motivation to get a crew first over the line, then you would think somewhere round the 20-year mark or 30-year mark they would have broken through.

Interestingly, in this forum and in general real-life rowing conversation, the Joeys 40-year drought is inevitably raised. Yet you rarely hear about Riverview's years in the wilderness which number about the same. The SIC shed does not seem to encourage the same culture of yearning as SJC.

BTW regarding the drop-off in rowing post HSC, I think a crucial element is the private school gap year which automatically puts distance between you and a boatshed. The participation rate in GAP experiences is huge from GPS schools and the majority involve extended overseas travel. HOTR in March of Year 12, by March the next year you are dorm staff in an isolated English boarding school with no rowing program or volunteering in an Antips program in SE Asia. Add some independent travel on the end, come home for Christmas and get ready for uni. By the time your first semester of tertiary education rolls around, it's March TWO YEARS after you last held an oar.

L

LBA

I have had it confirmed by a Loretto Normanhurst mum that some Boys crews have been training at SIRC this week. Not sure who but there were VIIIs there on Tues and Thurs. A bit of fresh water familiarity can't hurt.

Surely the girls could pick the zooties of the school??? Do you pay to train at SIRC.

Tomorrow's GPS Regatta is the last at SIRC for the year actually I think until the HOR. The rest at Hen & Chicken and of course Lane Cove for the Gold Cup.

L

LBA

At this point in time no harsh feedback from lurking Shore supporters - have they all gone into hiding shaking in their boots.

Or are healthy debates / discussions not part of their culture - so used to wiping the floor with their wins.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Like the healthy debate and t be honest think it is great that Joeys are doing well. Fully deserved and good for GPS rowing. If there is a school that I would like to see win other than Shore, tis Joeys. A lot of good blokes I know went there.

Like to add that wouldnt write Shore off just yet though as are not too far off the pace. The shed has an awesome atmosphere and to be honest are pretty respectful of the other crews so will just make them try harder to be their best come HOTR.

Cheers,
MR

L

LBA

I am sure a lot of "good blokes" attend the school currently as well.

So the competition has improved from other GPS rowing sheds - so more pressure is put on the school that has won more often. I agree that is a very good thing.

I am going to sound like a broken record - good for GPS Rowing ?? If you have not been exposed to it or understand it - does it help you get a job or progress to row for State or Australia?

So if you know of the atmosphere in the shed can you tell the forum why Shore did not participate in this mystery sculling comp last Friday??

It does send a message that it is not important if you do not attend. If St Augustine's can fight for room on the pontoon and enter as many Regatta's as possible to gain race experience - it is not a good sign No Shore at Sculling.

It will be interesting in the tower in the morning? Oh to be a fly on the wall.

L

LBA

I
I'm with you.. After two years of second places Joeys are gearing up. I think the above is a fair call.. Until something drastic happens then I'll conveniently change my tune!

The margins are so close - and it is early in the season but I would like to see the drought break for St Joseph's College.
There are so many variables and not to sound like a broken record but maybe it the crew that makes the least amount of mistakes on the day that wins.

I cannot sing at all but I am thinking of a song - for the Joeys crews and for the Australian bush - Let it rain - Let it rain!

Besides good strong competition lifts everybody's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.